DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Bubble

Judd Apatow movie about making a movie during the pandemic that is supposed to be funny but really comes across as him finding ways to continue casting his family

On 3/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, RIPPA said:

The Bubble

Judd Apatow movie about making a movie during the pandemic that is supposed to be funny but really comes across as him finding ways to continue casting his family

Nepo gonna tism.

Deep Water

Director: Adrian Lyne (Fatal Attraction, Indecent Proposal)

Ana de Armas fucks a lot and Ben Affleck isn't happy about it

On 3/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, RIPPA said:

The Bubble

Except for Maude, apparently.

16 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm good with that.

Now who gets to wear Feyd-Rautha's codpiece?

They should just get one of Skarsgard's sons to play him. Bill would be my choice.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 1

Since a lot of folks were interested in the teaser

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent full trailer

NSFW due to language and it gives away A LOT of the plot (if that really matters in a Nicolas Cage movie)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Didn't someone do something similar with Bowie?

Not quite the same, but the Morrissey biopic (which is terrible) that came out awhile ago clearly couldn't get the rights to Smiths music. Literally the last shot of the movie is him knocking on Johnny Marr's door after agreeing to join the band

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It would be a disaster though, wouldn't it? I can't think of anyone who could possibly play him. Maybe a young John C. Reilly? (That might be stretching it.) Still, anything involving the greatness of the man appeals to me greatly. 

I think Josh McDermitt could play him. Dennis Leary would audition just to steal one more thing from Hicks, too.

• Haha 4

On 3/10/2022 at 1:10 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Didn't someone do something similar with Bowie?

Velvet Goldmine, I believe, started as a straight-up Bowie biopic, but then morphed into what it became because they couldn't get the rights.  Still a good movie, though.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 12:24 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not a Joel-hater, big soft spot for all the AM/FM hits well into the 80s ('Matter of Trust' anyone), but I love the idea of a biopic about somebody with a compelling catalog of stories, but not so great music.  And then focusing on the great stories without any expensive licensing of said not so great music.  Again, not suggesting Bill fits the Bill.    

Have there been any good films made about musicians that didn't have music rights?  I'm hard pressed to think of many good music biopics in general (tho, I would list 'biopics' as amongst my least favorite genres)?  Oh wait, 'Control' (and '24 hour party people' - two for the Manchester lads) were pretty great.  And Todd Haynes' 'I'm Not There' was fun (tho, took a second spin to appreciate).  Does 'Purple Rain' count?    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Have there been any good films made about musicians that didn't have music rights?  I'm hard pressed to think of many good music biopics in general (tho, I would list 'biopics' as amongst my least favorite genres)?  Oh wait, 'Control' (and '24 hour party people' - two for the Manchester lads) were pretty great.  And Todd Haynes' 'I'm Not There' was fun (tho, took a second spin to appreciate).  Does 'Purple Rain' count?    

Purple Rain doesn't count, because it's Prince playing "The Kid", not a movie based on Prince's life.

(As an aside, Prince's estate is now no longer allowing Morris Day & The Time to perform as "Morris Day & The Time". Apparently Prince owned the copyright on the name)

Velvet Goldmine is a good film, inspired by David Bowie. Stardust is a terrible film, about David Bowie.