DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Vesper

Directed by Kristina Buozyte.

Starring Raffiella Chapman, Eddie Marsan, Rosy McEwen, Richard Brake, Melanie Gaydos, and Edmund Dehn.

Release Date (Theaters & VoD):  30 September 2022

Persuasion

I mean Netflix probably is the smart place for this to debut

This version stars Dakota Johnson (obviously), Cosmo Jarvis, Henry Golding and Richard E Grant

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Of note, Blonde has been rated NC-17 (Netflix's first)  and will premieres on Netflix on September 23. 

Wonder if that's for the drugs, nudity or a combination of everything. 

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The official reason is sex. 

With the release of the trailer for Blonde it was once again confirmed that the movie will carry an NC-17 rating, which lists the reason simply as "some sexual content" by the Motion Picture Association. The reasons behind that rating and the type of sexual content have yet to be revealed, but some aspects of Oates' novel are featured in the film, which surely play a role in the rating. One scene, in particular, involves Monroe being raped, which is a difficult thing to put on film in any context and sure to heed more caution for viewers. 

While Dominik calls the rating "horseshit" and that it's just the MPA "being political," he also says that it's the version audiences would want to see, saying, "It’s an NC-17 movie about Marilyn Monroe, it’s kind of what you want, right? I want to go and see the NC-17 version of the Marilyn Monroe story.”

In terms of content that would warrant in NC-17, no specific details have been offered outside of the confirmation of the rape scene, which undoubtedly plays a big role in the rating of Blonde. It's also important to note that the real Marilyn Monroe was no stranger to controversy or showing her own sexuality throughout her life and career, while also dealing with Hollywood exploitation that served to shape her image. The actress had three prominent marriages in her lifetime (and even a rumored affair with President John F. Kennedy) and suffered from mental health struggles and substance abuse in her final years. There's a lot to unpack from her illustrious life, which is surely the bigger reason for the NC-17, especially with Dominik being so determined to tell a no-holds-barred story. He credits the #MeToo movement as a proponent for getting the film made, saying that prior to it "nobody was interested in that sort of shit" and that Blonde will show "what it’s like to go through the Hollywood meat-grinder" and that "There’s something in it to offend everyone."

Dominik has said that an episode of HBO's Euphoria is "far more graphic than anything going on in Blonde" which suggests the rating is excessive in relation to the content. Blonde will be the first Netflix original film that carries an NC-17 and Dominik has said that he's grateful that the streamer has stood behind his vision. “I have nothing but gratitude for Net­flix," the director said, "They don’t want an NC-17 movie. But when it counts, they are supportive. And Netflix are the only people that would pay for Blonde. It would not exist without them.” Ultimately, it will be up to audiences to decide if the NC-17 rating is warranted or not when Blonde makes its debut on September 23rd, 2022.

On 6/16/2022 at 7:55 PM, odessasteps said:

Apparently the rape scene is very graphic. 

Apparently Disney was pleased with Guy Ritchie's work on Aladdin as they have named him director of the live action version of Hercules

On 6/18/2022 at 12:25 AM, Tabe said:

Apparently the rape scene is very graphic. 

Well, I won't be watching that shit.  It will just make me angry.

Edited by J.T.

Afterlife was a little too much of that forced nostalgia thing that so many reboots do for me. It was like a beat for beat remaking of The Force Awakens in that way.

My biggest nit pick of Afterlife was the mini Stay Puft men. That makes no sense. The giant marshmallow man didn't come into being by a giant marshmallow coming to life. He was a product of Ray's thoughts. That's a stupid thing to be mad about, I know, but I can't let it go!

• Haha 1

My daughter and I watched Afterlife on Epix OnDemand two weekends ago.  Yeah, a lot of nostalgia packed into the runtime, not that we were complaining.  Could've been great, but not as horrible as I expected it to be.  I still want to punch Finn Wolfhard in the face.  The kid that played Egon's granddaughter was perfect.  Poor child was cursed and blessed with the Spengler genetics.

• Like 2