DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Silent Hill F being written by Ryukishi07 is pretty exciting, I hope at least somewhere there's a shoutout to his "art" from Higurashi and Umineko.

This is Konami so they'll ruin all of the good will though, you'll probably need to buy NFTs to progress the story or something.

• Like 1

Some of us joked that FF16 looks like it was influenced by Game of Thrones. Now it looks like it's as dark, screenwise, as GoT and HotD.

Whatever. Fuck off Square and give us FF7-R2 sooner.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I guess to put a bow on things

So she lied. Great. Called for a boycott of a franchise over a lowball offer but felt she had to lie about it for some reason. Well done. 

Kudos to Schreier for nailing the story here. 

With all the talk about the Bayonetta 3 and pay I wanted to do a little digging to figure out what was the industry standard. So I pulled up the SAG/AFTRA rate sheet for Interactive Media (which video games seem to fall under) and the union standard is $956.75/ 4 hour day for one performer doing up to 3 voices and $1914.25 for a 6 hour day with an actor doing 6-10 voices.  I'm assuming (and if anyone can edify me on this I'd love that because I'm really trying to understand the situation) that "Voices" refers to different versions of a characters voice (like excited or angry, since they would put different stresses on the vocal chords). So it would be likely that Ms. Taylor was doing the latter.  Then there's additional compensation for multiple sessions, which for the 3-4 that were offered would be an extra $375-$550 and it should be noted nowhere on the rate sheet are residuals mentioned, while on other paysheets they are broken down.  So by bog-standard SAG/AFTRA standards (as near as I can tell) a "fair" wage is $6117.75 - $8207 dollars with no residuals.

That feels like a lot of money, but that's sort of the distraction isn't it?  Platinum Games sold approximately 1.284 million copies of the game on the Switch and WiiU and knowing how Nintendo is loathe to cut prices some quick math comes to a (49.99 X 1.284 million)= 61.187 million dollars Gross; which makes her salary seem downright insignificant. Plus they can release the game for other platforms or remaster it and get more money without cutting the voice actors in on it.

I guess at what I'm rambling at here is that when you look at the numbers she is underpaid in relation to her importance in selling the character of Bayonetta and thus the game.  But the way she handled it buries the lead entirely and will make it harder for other voice actors to get fair compensation.  Which I think we all kind of knew that, but putting numbers down helps me see it clearer.

Sorry for the ramblings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GojiColin said:

With all the talk about the Bayonetta 3 and pay I wanted to do a little digging to figure out what was the industry standard. So I pulled up the SAG/AFTRA rate sheet for Interactive Media (which video games seem to fall under) and the union standard is $956.75/ 4 hour day for one performer doing up to 3 voices and $1914.25 for a 6 hour day with an actor doing 6-10 voices.  I'm assuming (and if anyone can edify me on this I'd love that because I'm really trying to understand the situation) that "Voices" refers to different versions of a characters voice (like excited or angry, since they would put different stresses on the vocal chords). So it would be likely that Ms. Taylor was doing the latter.  Then there's additional compensation for multiple sessions, which for the 3-4 that were offered would be an extra $375-$550 and it should be noted nowhere on the rate sheet are residuals mentioned, while on other paysheets they are broken down.  So by bog-standard SAG/AFTRA standards (as near as I can tell) a "fair" wage is $6117.75 - $8207 dollars with no residuals.

That feels like a lot of money, but that's sort of the distraction isn't it?  Platinum Games sold approximately 1.284 million copies of the game on the Switch and WiiU and knowing how Nintendo is loathe to cut prices some quick math comes to a (49.99 X 1.284 million)= 61.187 million dollars Gross; which makes her salary seem downright insignificant. Plus they can release the game for other platforms or remaster it and get more money without cutting the voice actors in on it.

I guess at what I'm rambling at here is that when you look at the numbers she is underpaid in relation to her importance in selling the character of Bayonetta and thus the game.  But the way she handled it buries the lead entirely and will make it harder for other voice actors to get fair compensation.  Which I think we all kind of knew that, but putting numbers down helps me see it clearer.

Sorry for the ramblings.

While I don't disagree with your general point, one counter-argument is that as far as "game importance" goes in regards to time spent and impact of sales, the voice actor of video games is pretty low on the totem pole and also takes up a lot less time than what the developers, QA Testers, etc. spend making the game. I am all for people getting paid more for their work, but I assume those rates were "agreed to" for a reason. Plus estimated gross dollars of course doesn't tell the whole story as the money gets divided up a lot of ways before it trickles down to the minions.

Personally, if she had just come out and said the truth from the start and didn't try to sell it as a boycott, I wouldn't have had any issue with what she said. If she feels the pay is too low and wants to campaign for higher pay for voice actors, go for it, no harm in that. But I think between her intentionally misleading in her opening videos, and getting hate directed towards Jennifer Hale who did nothing wrong, just understandably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

• Like 1

Yeah I think everyone in the game making process deserves more then they're getting, especially with the crunch and toxic environments Dev's have to deal with while their bosses rake it in.

And I definitely agree that Jennifer Hale got unfairly dragged into this.  She merely took a job that was available, but there are people on the internet that would have you believe she was part of some conspiracy to rob people of their jobs.

2 hours ago, madl said:

Along that same line…..

I'll believe it when I see it. That said, I would totally be down for a next gen remake of the Witcher 1. I'd rather have that for Witcher 1 and 2 than an updated Witcher 3. I play Witcher 3 on my PS5 and it still looks great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Ok, I had to do a double-take at the name of the Pokemon type. Imagining a Pokemon game made by (Grand Strategy poobahs) Paradox Interactive had me wondering what the hell it would be like

Super detailed, micro-managable, and $1500 worth of DLC.

"The Talos Bay Pikachu Pokemon are acting aggressively towards human travelers. What should we do?

1. We should investigate what is making them act so aggressively.

2. If they wish to avoid being knocked out, stuffed into pokeballs and forgotten, they'd better back off"

.... I'd play it.

• Like 1

Paradox Pokemon remind me of what should not be in but past and future. They will look different. 

Terastal phenomenon will turn Pokemon into the new Tera Type and form. So powered up and new crystallized look.

Wiglett and the new grass mushroom Tentacool (diff name too) are from some other unnamed group with their own Dex numbers and names.

Anyway DLC could introduce more.

In the end they are all similar to what RPGs do with recolors or renames or diff types.

Previous gens and games over the years introduced shinys, gender differences forms, various forms, Mega Evo, Primal Reversion, Ash-Greninja, Totem Pokemon, Regional forms, Dynamax, Gigantamax.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Skydance New Media isn't a part of EA, though. Marvel has multiple deals with various studios.

This is a different Black Panther game

This one reportedly is an open world single player game done by a new studio by the guy who used to run Monolith