DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I have Gamepass and it is fine, but nothing I'm too interested in.  Kinda waiting for Xbox to make good on its promise to get the (exclusive) games and it looks like I will mostly be waiting at least another year. 

And then they finally have an exclusive game and folks in this thread are going "I hope it sales fall because they made it exclusive"

I hope the same things were said about Spiderman and Horizon Forbidden West and Last of Us

• Like 5

0828c759d7600d56316d4704e912716b.jpg

Okay - staring at this again, Starfield is on it so if it is a true "next 12 months" then obviously it would be out by June 2023

Of course they could just say "we just meant sometime in 2023"

20 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Was thinking the exact same thing. It looks pretty cool. Which means it's probably gonna be a bug riddled mess thay needs at least 3 patches to be playable. 

Hah, three patches...Aren't we an optimist.

Also, as a day 1 No Man's Sky player here who has dipped in and out of that game multiple times. yeah, the comparison of it to Starfield is pretty apt. I mean, even down to the mining tool and then the thing you mined, in this case, Iron (Fe) shows up. I mean, some of that stuff looked straight up ripped out of NMS down to the font they chose. 

At the same time, it's also borrowing pretty heavily from Elite Dangerous, Outer Worlds, that FPS set in the EVE Online universe, etc. 

And you know what? I thought all of it looked pretty fucking rad. If Starfield is essentially a distilled NMS then I think that's a good thing. NMS is Minecraft on a universal scale and it can be extremely hard to get into. My daughter was playing it pretty heavily for awhile and got burned out on it for the same reasons I did. It all just becomes way too much, but I guess that's also part of its charm. If you could really focus in on a handful of things in NMS, give it a narrative and NPCs that don't look like they're from Starfox's universe then that's probably a good thing.

My main concern is that they're using the same busted engine they've been using for years now. With every new system that thing gets beefed up, but it also becomes more and more broken. This looks like the biggest game they've ever made. I just wonder how that game engine is going to hold up to FPS combat, space combat, building shit, flying, traversal, different planets, different biomes, etc. There's a lot there to go wrong. If they stick the landing though, then it basically is the game I've been wanting for about forever now. NMS came close, but this could be the thing that blows my mind. I just want space combat to be good enough to bust out a HOTAS for.

• Like 1

I bought an Xbox Series X because I never had an Xbox One, I really, really wanted to play Halo Infinite, and I wanted Game Pass. I mean, to say that the Xbox Series X hasn't delivered above and beyond it's initial offerings is kind of absurd. Game Pass has allowed me to play Halo Infinite, Tunic, Forza Horizon, the newest MLB The Show, the Ori games, Streets of Rage 4, Guardians of the Galaxy, and a bunch more.

And now I'm going to get to also play Starfield and a bunch of other games on day 1 without having to pay an extra cent for it? If it weren't for the library of games I already owned on the PS5, including the new Horizon and Elden Ring, I honestly don't know how much my PS5 would get played. 

If Starfield is "done" as has been suggested and they just need to do QA/refinements, I don't see why it can't be out by next summer even with it being a super massive game. I have as little faith in Bethesda creating a bug-free game as everyone else, but if the game releases in 2023 or 2028 it'll still need patches, that's just life these days with massive open world games. But I think after what happened with Cyberpunk that companies will be more careful, so while I expect it to need some TLC post-launch I don't expect it to be broken either, Microsoft has too much riding on it with how hyped it is as the premium exclusive for the Xbox.

But the game is also 100% my shit so I am really looking forward to it, this year only had two AAA "my shit" games and I already beat them (Elden Ring and Horizon) so I am just trying to fill the gaps with other fun stuff until the next one comes out. Which may be Starfield.

• Like 3

God, a triple post...

Back to Starfield...I think the "this isn't going to be ready for another year+" talk is a little overblown. I don't see why it couldn't have a spring release next year or at the very latest, early fall. They're in the home stretch with it and it's not like we haven't seen Bethesda push a game out the door that's buggy as hell.

As for God of War, man, I wish I could say I'm excited for it, but that series just isn't for me. I bought the cheap version of God of War on the PS5 and my experience with it was...fine...I guess. What it really made me want was a single player game with Thor. I just could never get into God of War and I don't know what the next one could do to change my mind on it.

As a reminder - XBOX/Bethesda is doing a 2nd showcase tomorrow that is supposed to provide deeper looks at games mentioned yesterday

So any of these titles could have more info show tomorrow.

That being said - considering Starfield was one of the two things heavily featured (Diablo IV was the other) already - those two might not be featured tomorrow

I dunno how the fuck they got Raekwon The Chef and Ghostface Killah to do a song for the upcoming TMNT game, but God bless them. I thought this was just a quick budget game cash grab but they are putting some money into it. Either way I am playing it as I am 38 and thus love ninja turtles, and I have Game Pass.

• Like 3

Capcom had a showcase yesterday and the biggest news was Resident Evil Village DLC is coming out on October 28 along with RE Village Gold Edition (base game + DLC). They switched back to third person camera for the standalone DLC Shadows of Rose and have a third person mode and The Mercenaries as part of it.

They were also teases about Dragon's Dogma. I'd rather they just say Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is getting a PS5 port than what they said.

Also, Resident Evil 2/3/7 are getting their PS5 and Xbox Series X/S upgrades this week.

And they shared stuff about Exoprimal, which if you didn't want the game, you certainly don't now after what they shared. Basically, EDF, Anthem and Lost Planet 2 combined to make a very unappealing game where you unlock the story through multiplayer modes. All I heard from it was "You'll have to boost the trophies with other people because the multiplayer modes and their player population will sink like a rock."

Edited by Andrew POE!

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

And they shared stuff about Exoprimal, which if you didn't want the game, you certainly don't now after what they shared. Basically, EDF, Anthem and Lost Planet 2 combined to make a very unappealing game where you unlock the story through multiplayer modes. All I heard from it was "You'll have to boost the trophies with other people because the multiplayer modes and their player population will sink like a rock."

There is also a 15 minute gameplay walkthrough but no one should sit through that

I would be way more interested if I could play as the dinosaurs

6 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Also, Resident Evil 2/3/7 are getting their PS5 and Xbox Series X/S upgrades this week.

For anyone waiting on this: It was actually yesterday, a few hours after the Capcom showcase. I've got the PS5 versions of 2 & 3 sitting on my internal storage now. But the PS Plus Premium has me occupied with other things - I'll get around to playing RE2 & 3 for the first time (ever!) soon.

I want to believe that JT is the only person to actually play Dragon's Dogma because he's the only person I know of to have actually played it. I think. Look folks, my memory is trash. 

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I want to believe that JT is the only person to actually play Dragon's Dogma because he's the only person I know of to have actually played it. I think. Look folks, my memory is trash. 

I think he was the only one who enjoyed it

I played about 30 minutes and it had a lot of the usual Capcom bullshit that makes me never finish any of their games

I have it on the Series S but yeah, it's a very Capcom game. Just the opening bit is kind of annoying, and then when you get to use your created character for the first time you get the sense just how big this world is going to be (and how they aren't going to give you much direction, at all).

That was definitely it. He's the only person I know of that played it and liked it. His endorsement of it nearly convinced me to buy it when it was super deep discounted a long while back. 

BTW, Capcom, it's yet another year that has gone by without you fuckers even re-releasing Power Stone, a game tons of people liked. 

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see them re-release something like Lost Planet before re-releasing Power Stone.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There are rumors there could be a Nintendo direct on June 29th.

Multiple places have confirmed the date but Nintendo hasn't said anything yet

It's time for Nintendo's big mid year Direct where they announce nothing fans will actually give a shit about and then tease something big at the end making your think it's Zelda or Metroid only for it to be, like Toad's Treasure Tracker 2 or something.

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I played it for the first 30 minutes then filed it away in my backlog, where it was never played again.

(After I finish my current crop of games to Platinum and do the games that are seeing server shutdowns, I'll go back to this for the Platinum on PS3 version)

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think he was the only one who enjoyed it

I played about 30 minutes and it had a lot of the usual Capcom bullshit that makes me never finish any of their games

I enjoyed the novelty of the Shadow of the Colossus gameplay where you had to climb on your enemies to get to their weak spots.

Other than that, it was a pretty forgettable game.  I didn't even bother with the post-game bullshit after I killed the dragon that was annoying me in the main storyline.