DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Here is what was shown of Starfield

Taking at face value what Phil Spencer said at one point - this is not coming out in the next 12 months (though I am not quite sure any of us expected anything less)

And they definitely need to release the character creator ahead of time

Starfield looks impressive and about what I figured it would be. The gameplay looks impressive though you can definitely see the DNA of the creation engine and how it evolved from the previous Fallout games. Its a pity I will probably never play it since I just don't want an X-box and will likely never have a PC good enough for it.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is what was shown of Starfield

Taking at face value what Phil Spencer said at one point - this is not coming out in the next 12 months (though I am not quite sure any of us expected anything less)

Its supposedly done meaning what is likely happening now is them trying to kill bugs so it doesn't end up like Fallout 76.

Bleh. Microsoft's showcase was just as underwhelming as Geoff Keighley's showcase.

I regret buying a Series X for the sole purpose of playing Starfield. Starfield completely underwhelmed me, the graphics look last gen, and the framerate was all over the place. Bethesda really needs to delay the game another TWO YEARS if they want to shake the perception about their games (like Fallout 3/4/Skyrim) being big in scope but filled with bug and needing patches. Starfield will be another game that will be impressive I guess in scope.

The only one that got me remotely excited was Diablo IV, which makes me wish it were on PS4/PS5. And Persona 3 Portable/Persona 4 Golden/Persona 5 Royal on Xbox (which make me hope for Persona 3/4 on PS4/PS5 too).

Everything else was weird grimdark moody games that are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Edited by Andrew POE!

9 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Everything else was weird grimdark moody games that are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

The Microsoft showcase was actually not that bad in this regard as the SGF or Sony's State of Play were which made me feel game-racist (you know, they all look the same to me). Microsoft only had like 5 zombie games in 90 minutes...

26 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

The only one that got me remotely excited was Diablo IV, which makes me wish it were on PS4/PS5.

It is. From what I caught surprisingly enough only Starfield is a Xbox exclusive. Everything else was just showcased in general or is a temp launch exclusive. Amazing to me that the only game from their own group that would have wide appeal is the one they want to keep exclusive. Have to admit a part of me hopes Starfield takes a hit sales wise so they don't try to pull that crap with later TES and Fallout games.

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It is. From what I caught surprisingly enough only Starfield is a Xbox exclusive. Everything else was just showcased in general or is a temp launch exclusive. Amazing to me that the only game from their own group that would have wide appeal is the one they want to keep exclusive. Have to admit a part of me hopes Starfield takes a hit sales wise so they don't try to pull that crap with later TES and Fallout games.

Sadly, I have a feeling that Starfield will take a hit sales wise. A lot of chatter I've seen online has people cooling off from Starfield based on its showing today.

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Sadly, I have a feeling that Starfield will take a hit sales wise. A lot of chatter I've seen online has people cooling off from Starfield based on its showing today.

The petty person in me wants it to happen and kind of thinks it needs to as a lesson to Microsoft. That said, I think the game ends up fine. I think space flight will be generally disliked as the execution seems janky and was easily the worst part of the showcase. Otherwise most of it was in line with what people expect from Bethesda games with evolved graphics and some interesting dynamics like jetpack fighting and increased creation aspects. I think it will live or die based on how strong stuff like that is along with the size and strength of the story paths. Needs to be more Skyrim/New Vegas and less FO4. Honestly, with the scope they probably need to be bigger and longer than previous games.

The main worry with Starfield is the shooting mechanics. They didn't look great and there's no excuse not to have tight shooting mechanics like Halo or CoD at this stage of the game. Other than that and the hilariously stereotypical Bethesda NPC faces still bountiful, I was really impressed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The main worry with Starfield is the shooting mechanics. They didn't look great and there's no excuse not to have tight shooting mechanics like Halo or CoD at this stage of the game. Other than that and the hilariously stereotypical Bethesda NPC faces still bountiful, I was really impressed. 

Even Mass Effect solved the "how to have shooting and roleplaying" problem like a decade ago.

I want to be hyped for Starfield but...

I actually didn’t have a problem with anything in the Starfield gameplay section except for how I don’t expect to enjoy the ship combat all that much. I’m hyped tho. It’s still the reason I bought an Xbox.

I guess I’m in the minority because that was my only problem. I liked the shooting, it felt/looked tighter than a Fallout game, and I don’t really care about the NPCs looking like your standard Bethesda stuff. Also don’t understand the “it looks last gen” complaints - I thought it looked fucking amazing. But I was watching the YouTube video on my iPhone, so who knows.

The interiors looked significantly better than the exteriors though some of the overview environmental shots at the end looked stunning.

Flintlock looks very interesting. I'm keeping an eye on that one. Excited for Norland too. I'm hoping Red Fall is a game I can have a blast with my friends playing. Potential is there and they've got some neat concepts. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I was surprised the shooting wasn't better since its fine in Fallout 76.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

The petty person in me wants it to happen and kind of thinks it needs to as a lesson to Microsoft. That said, I think the game ends up fine. I think space flight will be generally disliked as the execution seems janky and was easily the worst part of the showcase. Otherwise most of it was in line with what people expect from Bethesda games with evolved graphics and some interesting dynamics like jetpack fighting and increased creation aspects. I think it will live or die based on how strong stuff like that is along with the size and strength of the story paths. Needs to be more Skyrim/New Vegas and less FO4. Honestly, with the scope they probably need to be bigger and longer than previous games.

Microsoft had similar lessons to learn in the past but that didn't stop them (Halo Master Chief Collection launch, Halo 5 Guardians, Gears 4, etc). They are going to make money despite themselves.

I mostly game on PlayStation (since I'm one of the recent trophy hunters here) but I honestly want Microsoft to have a Horizon: Zero Dawn/The Last of Us/Uncharted 4 type of moment with their games.

Their solution of "throw everything on GamePass" only goes so far. What's sad is what I've seen on GamePass doesn't make me want to buy it on Xbox, it makes me want to buy it on PlayStation.

• Like 2

I'm really stoked for Starfield, but there is no way that game comes out within the next thirteen months.  If it comes out in 2023, I will be surprised.

Pentiment looks interesting.  Definitely looks like nothing I'd have expected Obsidian to release.

Edited by J.T.

I thought the Gamepass drinking game was fine, but it also wasn't what I expected.  I was expecting more of a first-party presence after Microsoft claimed almost every first-party studio would be represented.  I wasn't expecting so much of a "welp, wait until next year" vibe.  Microsoft's been saying that for awhile now.

My expectations weren't sky-high, but I definitely thought we'd get more updates on some of the first-party stuff they showed off last year.  Thought Halo Infinite would have some sort of presence, and that the Gears of War remaster collection was real.  Didn't expect Fables, Everwild, Perfect Dark based on the rumors about their development, but did expect something to take their place.  Kinda thought Hellblade 2 would be ready in the next 12 months.

Starfield looks fine, but it's not something I'm too excited about.  I also don't believe it will really get out the door by next July,

Some of the multi-platform stuff looks good, but I feel like it will end up on PlayStation on day one too.  The Team Ninja game has already been confirmed as releasing for multiple platforms on day one.  I'll be very surprised if Persona 3/4 are any sort of Xbox exclusives, timed or otherwise.

Speaking of Persona, am I the only person who watched the showcase and thought P3/5/5 were all releasing in November?   Only P5 Royal is releasing this year.  P3 and P4 are supposed to release sometime in 2023.

I dunno.  My Series X doesn't have an identity right now beyond "best possible Xbox 360 Pro".  I've been shifting most multi-platform games to PlayStation or even Switch.  I have Gamepass and it is fine, but nothing I'm too interested in.  Kinda waiting for Xbox to make good on its promise to get the (exclusive) games and it looks like I will mostly be waiting at least another year. 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A game where all the weapons talk is my personal hell

For context, this is the game this was in reference too

High On Life

This is done by Rick and Morty Co-Creator Justin Roiland

I am not the demographic for this game