DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

On 6/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, RIPPA said:

Thursday, June 9; 2:00 PM - SUMMER GAME FEST

- This is the Geoff Keighley hosted one

Keighley has stated that the Summer Game Fest will focus mostly on already announced games so folks should "manage their expectations"

Of course he did say "a couple of new game announcements in the show and hopefully some surprises if everything holds" so of course that means everyone will think he is talking about the game they really really want to be announced

On 6/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, RIPPA said:

Sunday, June 12; 1:00 PM -  XBOX & BETHESDA GAMES SHOWCASE

Xbox and Bethesda announced they will do second event on June 14

It will be a 90 minute event that provide deeper looks at the things featured during the June 12th event

This is similar to what they did last year

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

People seem very under whelmed by the Sonic thing today, mostly because all the clips were so short.

I have to say,  I don't really understand why Sonic The Hedgehog is still a thing in 2022. I pretty much have up on the franchise 20 years ago, but people still seem to think these games will be good. I don't get it,  the games were great on the Sega Genesis,  but they have been pretty terrible since.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I have to say,  I don't really understand why Sonic The Hedgehog is still a thing in 2022. I pretty much have up on the franchise 20 years ago, but people still seem to think these games will be good. I don't get it,  the games were great on the Sega Genesis,  but they have been pretty terrible since.

They really weren't even that great on the Genesis.  They were good and had great graphics/speed but they weren't great.  They don't work in a 3D setting and the 2D setting is tired.  When the gimmick is speed, you can't do much with the level layouts because the game ends up basically playing itself.  

I guess I'm saying, yeah, I don't know why Sonic is still a thing in 2022.  They probably should have stopped with Sonic 2 - or Sonic 3 at the latest.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

They really weren't even that great on the Genesis.  They were good and had great graphics/speed but they weren't great.  They don't work in a 3D setting and the 2D setting is tired.  When the gimmick is speed, you can't do much with the level layouts because the game ends up basically playing itself.  

I guess I'm saying, yeah, I don't know why Sonic is still a thing in 2022.  They probably should have stopped with Sonic 2 - or Sonic 3 at the latest.

Sonic 3 plugged into Sonic and Knuckles is the pinnacle of the series.  It's every good idea they ever had literally stacked on top of each other.  Every character, every gameplay tweak, every change of perspective they've come up with since that game has paled in comparison to that game.  I remember when I got my Dreamcast, I was so excited for the new 3D Sonic game and I played it for about 5 minutes before I realized it sucked.  It isn't like that was the only terrible game, they've put out almost 20 straight years of complete shit.  The only games that have been decent were the ones that were just new levels of the Genesis games.

• Like 2

Colors and Generations were great and the OG games had fantastic high/middle/low level design and are deservedly thought of as classics.

The issue isn't Sonic itself. It's that Sonic Team has been mediocre-to-garbage post-Saturn.

As a casual gamer I love the original Sonic games. Sonic 3D is where they lost me. Just lost all sense of direction in a 3D environment for that character. Mario worked in 3D because he jumps around and squishes people. He doesn't run into a ball flying at the speed of light. Although Sega Tennis on the 360 was fun as hell. They should have just spammed the Mario blueprint. Platformers, party games, racing games, cartoon sports games, a smash brothers kind of game. I never checked out any of the open world style games or 3D kind of games.

I love Crash Bandicoot. That feels like what Sonic should have evolved into. A platformer with 3D elements. Should have dialed back the speed gimmick and used it only for sliding rails or doing the occasional speed loops.

All that being said, I've already pre ordered the Sonic remaster coming out this month. 1,2,3, & Sonic CD with updated graphics & challenges and stuff. I'd LOVE if Mario stuff could cross over to non-Nintendo systems and do the same thing. But yes I'm well aware that's Nintendo's money maker and that will never happen as long as Nintendo has it's own consoles.

this topic is relevant to my interests!

i played through Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 last week. i know i had played them as a kid, especially the second, but never dedicated that much time to them because i didn't have a Genesis myself. First, let me mention that i am disappointed that you can't lock Sonic 1 into Sonic & Knuckles to play through as the echidna. alas. it was quite fun. i realized quickly that if you just try to blaze through the game, you're in for a frustrating time. The game really rewards you for taking your time and exploring. once you understand the high/medium/low paths, it helps quite a bit.

#2 is quite good and improves on the first in basically every way, but is also pretty easy. i think i only lost a single life before reaching the final level boss. Of course, Metal Sonic & Dr. Robotnik made up for that, as they just hammered on me until i got their patterns down. Also, there's more sections where the speed gimmick is utilized.

#3, and Sonic & Knuckles, are on tap for this weekend. or whenever i get around to them. Not as familiar with these ones, but Knuckles is just the best. Eventually I'm also going to try to make it through Sonic 4 (as long as it's still available to download on the Xbox 360) (another rant: i am upset that it never saw a full release on Wii. Episode 1 got released digitally, but Episode 2 was "too big" to qualify for an eShop title. You would think that would lead to a full physical release, but NooOOOooo!) and Sonic Mania on the Switch.  a few friends have recommended Sonic CD, but i don't have a SegaCD (or desire for one), so that's a no-go.

edit: both episodes of Sonic 4 are still available to download on XBox360. i played through the first Zone of Episode 1. it does not compare favorably to the Genesis games. thankfully, these games aren't very long.

Edited by twiztor
sonic 4 early thoughts

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Why would there be a discount for PS4 owners? It’s current gen only, and is a remake?

I just thought it was similar to a lot of these next gen releases where maybe there's been some texture updates and what not similar to like the Legacy of Thieves edition.

20 hours ago, twiztor said:

this topic is relevant to my interests!

i played through Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 last week. i know i had played them as a kid, especially the second, but never dedicated that much time to them because i didn't have a Genesis myself. First, let me mention that i am disappointed that you can't lock Sonic 1 into Sonic & Knuckles to play through as the echidna. alas. it was quite fun. i realized quickly that if you just try to blaze through the game, you're in for a frustrating time. The game really rewards you for taking your time and exploring. once you understand the high/medium/low paths, it helps quite a bit.

#2 is quite good and improves on the first in basically every way, but is also pretty easy. i think i only lost a single life before reaching the final level boss. Of course, Metal Sonic & Dr. Robotnik made up for that, as they just hammered on me until i got their patterns down. Also, there's more sections where the speed gimmick is utilized.

#3, and Sonic & Knuckles, are on tap for this weekend. or whenever i get around to them. Not as familiar with these ones, but Knuckles is just the best. Eventually I'm also going to try to make it through Sonic 4 (as long as it's still available to download on the Xbox 360) (another rant: i am upset that it never saw a full release on Wii. Episode 1 got released digitally, but Episode 2 was "too big" to qualify for an eShop title. You would think that would lead to a full physical release, but NooOOOooo!) and Sonic Mania on the Switch.  a few friends have recommended Sonic CD, but i don't have a SegaCD (or desire for one), so that's a no-go.

edit: both episodes of Sonic 4 are still available to download on XBox360. i played through the first Zone of Episode 1. it does not compare favorably to the Genesis games. thankfully, these games aren't very long.

I'm still plunking down the $40 for the Sonic Remastered, even though I have the 4 games available on PC in various updated forms.  I'm kinda interested to see how it plays in "story mode" plus all the challenges.  That and playing it on a regular TV instead of my PC.

• Like 1

I have had to have the stream on mute since I was in a meeting - but a lot of these games are so similar that without the sound they are just blending together

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and because I didn't have the sound on - why the fuck was the Rock there?

He was plugging some non-video game stuff, Black Adam and I think an energy drink.

Edited by Robert s