DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

On 5/3/2022 at 2:50 PM, RIPPA said:

Development of the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time remake has been moved back to Ubisoft Montreal

Game is closely becoming vaporware and I wouldn't be suprised if it's out in 2023, 2024 or beyond.

• Like 1

Hangar13 (the studio that did Mafia 3) just had its head (Haden Blackman) and COO (Matthew Urban) so folks are concerned about the status of the studio in general.

This reason I am mentioning this here is because among the news associated with this - it has been reported that a Mafia 4 is being worked on and will be a prequel

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hangar13 (the studio that did Mafia 3) just had its head (Haden Blackman) and COO (Matthew Urban) so folks are concerned about the status of the studio in general.

This reason I am mentioning this here is because among the news associated with this - it has been reported that a Mafia 4 is being worked on and will be a prequel

Why would you do a prequel when you could be doing a heavily Goodfellas-inspired game set in the 80s?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

How the heck am I supposed to decide who are the bad guys between FIFA and EA?

As far as I know EA at least pays the people who are working under terrible conditions... don't look to close at how the buildings for the World Cup are being built or who is building them,  or how many of them have died. FIFA is almost always the bad guy in comparison to anyone else. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

As far as I know EA at least pays the people who are working under terrible conditions... don't look to close at how the buildings for the World Cup are being built or who is building them,  or how many of them have died. FIFA is almost always the bad guy in comparison to anyone else. 

The video game may be the only positive thing associated with the FIFA brand, and positive may be a very loose/liberal term in this sense. 

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

How the heck am I supposed to decide who are the bad guys between FIFA and EA?

this is a heel vs heel match where all the fans just sit on our hands and wait for it to be over

• Haha 3

Probably the least surprising delay since... the last AAA title delay. I don't remember the last time a big open-world type mega game wasn't delayed at least six months from its initial given launch date. Probably Holiday 2023 at this point. Hope I live that long, Starfield is my kind of game.

12 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Bethesda announced that both Redfall and Starfield are postponed to the first half of 2023

Disappointing but not terribly surprising.   Delay is a godsend for those who still have to work through their current Pile of Shame.  I still need to get through one clean playthrough of 2077 now that it is allegedly fixed.

We will all be dead by the time Star Citizen gets a proper release, so hopefully Starfield will come out in time to scratch that itch.

Edited by J.T.

A Bethesda employee told Jason Schreier that they were worried Starfield would become the next Cyberpunk 2077 if they stuck to the the 11/11/22 release date.

Yikes. Glad they did the right thing, even if me getting a Series S was explicitly for Starfield (and other Besthesda games). Oh well, it’s not like I don’t use it or anything.

Honestly, we could go a year or two without anything being released, and it would probably be healthy for me given my backlog is already impossibly large and I don't need to give games any more of my money. 

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that developers should just start working on the next generation of consoles now,  because these games have gotten so massive that it's going to take that long to finish the average AAA open world game. I feel like this generation of games is going to be extremely small,  because the development cycle is too long for the current level of technology. Sure,  they can create something amazing,  it's just going to take longer than the console cycle.

• Haha 1

On the one hand, it feels like the right business decision.  On the other hand, so what does Xbox have to show for this year?  I feel like it's getting time for Xbox to finally make good on its promise to beef up its roster of exclusives.  They've been making the same promises for 20 years and then spending a lot of time kicking the can down the road.  No one expects them to compete with Sony or Nintendo overnight, but the "next year or the year after that or the year after that" promises are wearing me out.  I still really dig my Series X but I've mostly been using it to play back-compatible X360 games lately.

Sony and Ninendo are shaping up to have good years with first-party games.  Xbox is still a question mark.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

XBOX has Game Pass

That's their "Exclusive"

100% correct,  I have every current console and the Xbox gets the most play because so many games are readily available. The new Playstation service is intriguing,  but they're so far behind its going to take a while before they catch up with Game Pass. With that said,  if they just fill it with JRPGs, I'll probably spend a good amount of time with it. 

• Like 1

I know I should spend more time with my Xbox since I have Game Pass and Tunic, MLB the Show, Guardians of the Galaxy, and plenty others are calling my name, but my PS5 is the system that I have Horizon, Elden Ring, Chicory, and others on so that's getting more love at the moment.