DVDVR Message Board

THE SPOILERS OF BOBA FETT

Eivion

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

* The Armorer is a liar and can't be trusted anymore at this point. She's making up fake rules as she goes along. Mando is such a dope. He's so desperate to belong to something and have a surrogate family now he has to go bathe in the living waters of Lake Minnentonka beneath Mandalore or some BS. The Armorer is basically the Mandalorian equivalent of L. Ron Hubbard. Death Watch didn't even follow all these rules. Pre Viszla took his helmet off all the time. Tons of Mandalorians literally saw Sabine hand Bo-Katan the Darksaber, and they all cheered. "But Bo-Katan said--" "Bo-Katan is a stupid bitch!"

That was kinda the point The Armorer was making.  Bo-Katan didn't win the Darksaber in combat.  Shit, technically Sabine didn't "defeat" anyone for it (I don't think she actually fought any Nightsisters, and certainly didn't fight Maul for it.)  Bo-Katan was handed the Darksaber, and shortly afterwards The Empire glassed Mandalore.  Now, that *could* just be convenient timing to push her narrative, but Bo-Katan was pretty damn adamant that she be the one to take it off Gideon, and wasn't happy at all that Din did it instead, and wouldn't take it when handed to her again, so she herself might buy the "I need to win this, because I fucked up last time"

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That was kinda the point The Armorer was making.  Bo-Katan didn't win the Darksaber in combat.  Shit, technically Sabine didn't "defeat" anyone for it (I don't think she actually fought any Nightsisters, and certainly didn't fight Maul for it.)  Bo-Katan was handed the Darksaber, and shortly afterwards The Empire glassed Mandalore.  Now, that *could* just be convenient timing to push her narrative, but Bo-Katan was pretty damn adamant that she be the one to take it off Gideon, and wasn't happy at all that Din did it instead, and wouldn't take it when handed to her again, so she herself might buy the "I need to win this, because I fucked up last time"

If all the real Mandalorians accepted the hand-off rule, then it clearly wasn't a hard and fast rule before. 

These folks were the Mandalorian nobility. They weren't foundlings. They weren't "Mando is my creed" Mandalorians.

I'm going to be fucking pissed if Space Raylan Givens is dead. I usually watch things with subtitles on and none of the locals said anything specific about Vanth being dead and it did look like he took the blaster shot to the shoulder.

Rest of the episode was great until they got to the end and it once again brought up everything that rubs me the wrong way about the Jedi and the Sith and reminded me of how much I loathed the Last Jedi for basically being retconned with the third movie. The whole idea of Jedis and Sith is fucking DUMB. All of the strict rules about being a Jedi, being forced to choose one path over another because of arbitrary reasons, etc. just makes it more likely you'd turn bad in the future. That's what I liked about the Last Jedi where the basically said, you know, all of the strictness to being a Jedi is kinda dumb and force sensitive beings can just be whoever they want. So when Luke makes Grogu choose between the lightsaber and the chainmail, I wanted to throw something. I fully understand and realize that this is Luke almost immediately post-ROTJ, so he's still this fundamentalist Jedi weirdo, but man is that ideology fucking annoying.

You know what would really prevent Grogu from turning to the dark side? Letting him being with people that love him AND still accepting the training from Luke. Instead, Luke forces this choice on a what is basically a child and it's like the intro to Liquid Swords where a kid is being forced between choosing the ball or the sword.

• Like 2

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

That intro is from Lone Wolf and Cub/Shogun Assassin, btw

I knew it was Shogun Assassin, but Liquid Swords is dope as fuck and I wanted to put in that reference instead.

• Like 1

I mean that's an old story. Like a year old.

They did that probably because they want him to sound like young Luke and Mark Hamill no longer sounds like that. This is what bothered me about that episode. I think with Episode 2 of Mandalorian, we saw just enough of Luke for it to make an impact and they didn't have to overuse the deep-fake CG and respeecher tech. Like it was weird, but it kept Luke mysterious. It was just one scene really. 

This is why I think such tech should only be used sparingly I don't want to get to a point where we are seeing deep fake versions of the original cast as main characters. It would be too weird.

Finally had time to watch this week’s episode, and it was fucking awesome. 

Deepfake Luke is definitely just off enough to be a little unsettling, as was the emotionless AI voice, but damn, that’s prime Luke Skywalker for me, and it’s something I never thought we’d actually get, so it was practically comfort food for me. It may not be the best, but it’s what I needed right then.

Then Cad Bane starts walking up and at first, when he’s in the distance, I’m like, that looks a little like Cad Bane. When they show him again and it’s clearly his hat? “Fuck yeah! That is Cad Bane!”  I was so amped, I didn’t even think about his history with Boba right away.

@TheVileOne makes some dead on points about the past two episodes undermining this as a Boba Fett show (especially one called “The Book of Boba Fett”), but it doesn’t bother me as much because I think a lot of these Star Wars shows are going to follow the MCU movie route of throwing characters into different shows with interconnected plots. It wouldn’t surprise me if all of these shows basically ended up as akin to an anthology series. It absolutely weakens them as individual series, but IMO strengthens the overall universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m interested to see what they do with the next group of movies, especially since these shows are using/introducing so many people whose whereabouts in the sequel trilogy are unknown, like Ahsoka, Grogu, Bo-Katan, and Omega.  And the Rebels crew too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Control said:

Thought they made it clear that Mando’s crew was a splinter sect of fundamentalists.

They're the Scientologists of Mandalore! 

Cad Bane is a practical scoundrel. His goal was to send a warning to Freetown and Marshal Vanth. Deputy Derling violated the rules of the standoff and tried to interfere. So he got blasted like a dope. Deputy, two men are about to duel to the death. Your sheriff told you to stand down. You don't try to jump in!

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

@TheVileOne makes some dead on points about the past two episodes undermining this as a Boba Fett show (especially one called “The Book of Boba Fett”), but it doesn’t bother me as much because I think a lot of these Star Wars shows are going to follow the MCU movie route of throwing characters into different shows with interconnected plots. It wouldn’t surprise me if all of these shows basically ended up as akin to an anthology series. It absolutely weakens them as individual series, but IMO strengthens the overall universe.

This is exactly what they are doing with the shows. Book of Boba Fett is absolutely building back to whatever direction they are heading with the Mandalorians in the Mandalorian. The other thing these series are doing is picking up on unfinished plotlines from other series like Clone Wars and Rebels.

I’m interested to see what they do with the next group of movies, especially since these shows are using/introducing so many people whose whereabouts in the sequel trilogy are unknown, like Ahsoka, Grogu, Bo-Katan, and Omega.  And the Rebels crew too.

Isn't the next movie on X-wing pilots and 2-3 years off?

Edited by Eivion

10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Given how overall bad the sequel trilogy was, I'm fine with just running anthology series and doing "Do stuff that was going on during the movies" extra movies.  These side characters are far more interesting than anyone who showed up in the Sequels.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

Just watched the first episode with the Mandalorian in it. It’s success, and enthusiastic response of it is basically what I’ve been saying about the galactic bounty Hunter thing. That being that it’s always had the best potential for a new franchise ever since this stuff was being knocked around the time the special editions were released. Boba Fett’s long awaited spin-off failing isn’t the fault of the character or concept. The fault was having to forfeit the bounty hunting elements because of the Mando series. Also probably Lucasfilm’s fault for giving Boba an unnecessary backstory to begin with.

But whatever, we’re where we are with these Star Wars TV series. The one with the bounty hunters will have a greater success with an audience. It’s an easy storytelling device that appeals to a majority of the audience that has always loved characters going on frontier explorations, and fleshed out the world in such simple ways. Like the best way this episode fleshed out this world wasn’t to introduce a space mobster, and it’s lame attempt to connect to modern American society politics. No the best way they did it was to show the intergalactic space travel by way of Mando’s journey. With the added benefit that he’s a faceless character, with minimal dialogue, instead of the shitty Disney Channel level acting we got in the previous episodes.

I honestly don’t see the same level success with the other Star Wars spin-offs after seeing how much the other stuff has either been rejected, or received mixed reactions. I’m talking about the films too. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Someone on a podcast I listened to compared Boba Fett losing his gimmick to Mando to when DC wouldn’t let Alan Moore tell a story with their Charlton characters so he made Watchmen and his characters eclipsed their inspirations. Favs probably wanted to do Boba Fett from the beginning and he burned through most of his good ideas. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2

After seeing the last two episodes, I'm of the opinion they could have made a 1.5-2 hour straight to D+ movie using all of the interesting bits of the first four episodes and incorporated the last two into S3 of Mandalorian. Of course there's still the finale to go so we'll see how they wrap everything up.

I thought Cal Bane was a cool villain in the Clone Wars series and couldn't remember if he was dead or not. Him being the next big bad (or at least miniboss) for Mando wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

6 hours ago, Control said:

That scene of Mando checking the dark sabre (or whatever) before boarding his flight has to pay off with a missing sword, right? Otherwise, that was some weird shit.

The sword was there when he picked his weapons back up.

If Lone Wolf & Cub is the big inspiration for Mandalorian, and that’s their only real success, why not get inspiration from the other Koike & Kojima chambara book, Samurai Executioner? Or maybe Zatoichi, who’s team were the ones that produced the Lone Wolf films.

I guess we’ll see how Obi-Wan handles its Jedi protagonist. I just don’t have much hope for it after seeing the way they handled Boba Fett’s arc, and hearing that Obi-Wan’s plot bears a resemblance to Unforgiven. Again Lucasfilm has been really good with episodic stories, but tends to fumble the lore heavy overarching plots.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 2/5/2022 at 3:20 PM, Control said:

If it wasn’t tampered with or something then those scenes were preposterous wastes of time.

Meh. It just shows you that in a galaxy far far away that checking you bags is still a risk and a pain in the ass. 

On 2/3/2022 at 9:03 PM, TheVileOne said:

He's so desperate to belong to something and have a surrogate family now he has to go bathe in the living waters of Lake Minnentonka beneath Mandalore or some BS. The Armorer is basically the Mandalorian equivalent of L. Ron Hubbard.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL thanks for this

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1