DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - NEW YEAR'S SMASH - 12/29/2021

16 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Good promos from Starks and Hobbs. I completely forgot Dante lost to Hobbs awhile back.  They were VERY helpful in reminding me showing the highlights and all. Another point for efficiency and not letting some plot details go to waste.  AEW has a very short history so use what you got (and maybe borrow some history too).

I surprisingly found Pillman’s promo compelling… eventually.  He might have maxed out whatever credit he has left on his Sympathy Master Card.  But he bought me and now I can’t wait for him to take a beating so ruthless.  His sacrifice will make him my lord and savior.  

The Pillman promo was compelling.  Clearly he's a terribly corny promo, but I liked here how he really went for it.  Maybe the laugh was unintentional, but I was entertained.  And I'm ready for Malakai to lay the beats.  That promo also felt like it was transplanted from another era.  I'm thinking 'Senior' in Stampede '88.  

The Hobbs-Martin callback was quality.  One of those little details that makes AEW so loveable.  Further, all night they were dishing strong videos, and I'd be surprised if this doesn't become a bit more of the norm.  It's a great way to get over the ongoing stories and could also work to specifically tell us about a new or 'newly intentioned' wrestler.  In particular, that's how you have Shida cut a promo.  Tape it and package it in with some highlights.  Perfect!    

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Pillman promo was compelling.  Clearly he's a terribly corny promo, but I liked here how he really went for it.  Maybe the laugh was unintentional, but I was entertained.  And I'm ready for Malakai to lay the beats.  That promo also felt like it was transplanted from another era.  I'm thinking 'Senior' in Stampede '88.  

The Hobbs-Martin callback was quality.  One of those little details that makes AEW so loveable.  Further, all night they were dishing strong videos, and I'd be surprised if this doesn't become a bit more of the norm.  It's a great way to get over the ongoing stories and could also work to specifically tell us about a new or 'newly intentioned' wrestler.  In particular, that's how you have Shida cut a promo.  Tape it and package it in with some highlights.  Perfect!    

Obviously, I’ve got an appreciation for what they are doing since I pour so much love in their direction.  

But really.  Video updates/promos are a really efficient way to get your people (in an off week from doing matches) on tv and keep the audience up to date.  

After a couple years at producing shows.   The AEW team seems to really be settling into a house style and I’m here for it.  Sure… they’ll miss a dive here and there.  But overall it’s top notch in presentation.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

After a couple years at producing shows.   The AEW team seems to really be settling into a house style and I’m here for it.  Sure… they’ll miss a dive here and there.  But overall it’s top notch in presentation.

I'm curious to see what, if any, aspect of the show changes with Keith Mitchell's retirement

• Like 2

Impact's production didn't noticeably change after Keith left them. I think possibly he's not just a really good producer, but also a really good teacher.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

But really.  Video updates/promos are a really efficient way to get your people (in an off week from doing matches) on tv and keep the audience up to date.  

I agree that video clips/promos are great for including people without matches that week.

They should go with the old Roller Derby announcer trope of saying that they missed that dive, but the only way you can see all the action is by being here live for the AEW action.