DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - NEW YEAR'S SMASH - 12/29/2021

Just now, RunningFromAmerica said:

Technically feuds in other companies might be considered the IP of those promotions. Clearly wrestling companies have crossed that line at times, but it may well be something that AEW Compliance is wary of.

so everything WCW did with Hogan, Macho, Piper, Warrior crossed the line? 

AEW referenced it to make sense why KOR even helped Adam Cole. Because it made zero sense for KOR to help Cole to begin with. 

2 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

so everything WCW did with Hogan, Macho, Piper, Warrior crossed the line? 

To be honest, I didn't watch a lot of those promos so couldn't tell you.

Ultimately, different compliance people will say different things and the legal context may well have been different, or the attitude to risk may have been. I'm not in Compliance, but have worked closely with such people.

AEW referenced a previous feud with the Bucks?

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Cole and O'Reilly wrestled a bunch of times in ROH and PWG before they ever even made it to NXT, it definitely won't be an issue.

Hell they even face each other in the Young Lions Cup in Chikara & Best of the Best in CZW. 

• Like 3

The thing I’m taking the most satisfaction in having The Undisputed Era in AEW is what a ball bag slap it is to WWE and their cunty approach to intellectual property and copyright law.  Still… I never saw them even for a moment taking a breath of air on the main roster.  But here being in a Main Event, even Bobby Fish didn’t look out of place.  Efficient.

Vince.  You’re a fucking idiot. 

There might finally be something to Jade Cargill.  Thunder Rosa is taking time away from my being a Bryan Danielson fanboy.  She is so great. 

I was looking to see if Trent was wearing the Yuta shit emoji knee pads but I couldn’t tell.

I miss Mox.

Bring on the 20 minute Jericho/Kingston promo battle.

I’m enjoying perpetually butthurt Bucks.

Good promos from Starks and Hobbs. I completely forgot Dante lost to Hobbs awhile back.  They were VERY helpful in reminding me showing the highlights and all. Another point for efficiency and not letting some plot details go to waste.  AEW has a very short history so use what you got (and maybe borrow some history too).

I surprisingly found Pillman’s promo compelling… eventually.  He might have maxed out whatever credit he has left on his Sympathy Master Card.  But he bought me and now I can’t wait for him to take a beating so ruthless.  His sacrifice will make him my lord and savior.  

I love you too AEW.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

The thing that annoys me is that if this is all about Cole and O'Reilly struggling with their NXT history, then why can't the Bucks remember that reDRagon tried to kill them during an RoH title defense once upon a time or maybe that will come up in a future episode of BTE.  It's still too early to tell.

Apparently it's because they are pronouncing (and spelling?) reDRagon as "Red Dragon" in AEW. I think it's reasonable to assume that The Young Bucks had the following conversation.

Matt: Hey, wait a minute! Red Dragon! Didn't they one try to kill us, during a Ring of Honor title defense?

Nick: No, you are thinking of reDRagon. 

Matt: OK then. Let's sneak out to the ring and help them.

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm very happy that the things I love about AEW far outweigh the things I dislike, and that I have things to entertain on my phone when certain folks are on my TV screen.

I played a game of Magic on my iPad to be honest. That's my go to. 

Know who else plays Magic? Motherfuckin Ortiz. He named Magic Arena as his Game of the Year, which I wouldn't do, but it is addicting and the easiest way to play competitive Magic right now. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I played a game of Magic on my iPad to be honest. That's my go to. 

Know who else plays Magic? Motherfuckin Ortiz. He named Magic Arena as his Game of the Year, which I wouldn't do, but it is addicting and the easiest way to play competitive Magic right now. 

Imagine Cornette going through the roof for this. "When I said the boys would sit around playing card games, THOSE WEREN'T THE CARD GAMES!"

• Haha 8

Loved the corpse paint from P&P. I was in and out on the show as I found out a good friend odd right before and the rehab we were at let me zoom in to grieve a bit with some brothers. 

I loved the tags. I've been hoping WWE would move to that format, especially after that one RAWin 2011 with a huge tag. Not pumped to see Jericho back. MJF continues to kill the mic.

I thought reDRagon was a tribute to a joshi  team or stable. I could be wrong.

I used to shit on Luchasaurus’ pillow-light slow motion offense.  

Then I saw his hot tag last night.

Holy fuck.  In my almost 37 years watching pro wrestling, I’ve seen guys work light but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone RUN light.  He does this little tentative jump-skippydoo, then seemingly floats toward his opponent, meeting them (I say “meeting” because saying “colliding” is an insult to that word) so gently that an egg strategically placed between them wouldn’t break.  

I can never again criticize the dude for not wrestling like a big man when he can’t even figure out how to run like a big man.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

And say what you want about AEW’s house style.  Call it a spot fest with little selling. You may be right in some cases. And I’d be among the first to defend it.  But Jade getting her leg beaten on forever, only to hit a perfect Canadian backbreaker, bouncing perfectly on her bad leg just fresh as a daisy, was still too damn much.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

And say what you want about AEW’s house style.  Call it a spot fest with little selling. You may be right in some cases. And I’d be among the first to defend it.  But Jade getting her leg beaten on forever, only to hit a perfect Canadian backbreaker, bouncing perfectly on her bad leg just fresh as a daisy, was still too damn much.  

I mean.... kind of?

But then she lost the hold due to the leg and immediately sold it? She potentially didn't win the match right there because her leg couldn't hold up?

6W2Q39.gif

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Imagine Cornette going through the roof for this. "When I said the boys would sit around playing card games, THOSE WEREN'T THE CARD GAMES!"

The Undertaker made himself out to be a right dickhead wanting the olden days back. I'd rather have the backstage of today to then.

• Like 2

I really liked the section of Rosa Vs. Jade where they spent like 4 minutes or so on the floor. Might’ve been there to disguise Jade’s lack of experience, but it reminded me of Bam Bam Bigelow’s ECW matches that needed 8 minutes of brawling in the same area. 

For all the complaints about shenanigans, that was the right finish in that women’s match especially if they want Thunder to be the next champ.

I don’t know what’s happening next week, but I hope Ruby has her best pair of working boots prior to, and during the match. This will need a lot of planning out to make this one special. They both got something too. Ruby’s arm, and Jade’s leg should be the focus. Bret Hart Vs. Diesel, and (What I believe was the inspiration of the former match) Marco Ruas Vs. Paul Varelans should be the match they should be watching tape on  before the match on Wednesday.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
16 hours ago, Craig H said:

At the risk of sounding misogynistic, I think nearly every segment with Brandi is just death. It's not just her fault either. You have Lambert sinking to stripper jokes among other shit he said. Then, Brandi is going to get attacked and Cody doesn't even come out? The fuck is that? Male or female or nonbinary, Brandi may be my least favorite performer in any wrestling company. 

Misogyny isn't being critical of a woman's performance.

Misogyny would be if you were holding a prejudice against a woman solely for being a woman, then using that prejudice to be critical of said performance.

For example, what you said? Not misogynistic. You don't like Brandi, and that's fine. If your reasoning for not liking her was because she was a woman, then that's the issue. But instead, you don't like her performance. You're good.

Misogynistic would be [name of 1980s pro wrestling manager redacted] saying that women can't work or draw, then giving one of 842,059 reasons as to why he skipped watching a women's match. Or saying that Japanese women all have the same gimmick, then refuse to watch anything involving a Japanese woman. (See, that's misogynist crossed with racism!)