DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - NEW YEAR'S SMASH - 12/29/2021

I liked the show but found it interesting that there's two "torn between two factions/friends" stories going at once.  You have Cole between Bucks and ReDragon but there's also Santana/Ortiz who are between Eddie and Jericho.  In an ideal world I would do one of them at a time but with it being the end of the year I get that they want to set the table for next year.  As for where each goes the Bucks/Cole/ReDragon part gets lots of discussion already.  But I think Eddie will be the catalyst that gets Santana/Ortiz to finally ditch Jericho.  Then you can take that different ways where either Inner Circle explodes or they just do a clean break and get the tag belts.  And I'm really hoping one of the causes is the fact that Jericho waited until after the bell shot to come out.

• Like 2

I was on the Santana and Ortiz should get the belts bandwagon but I've since jumped off for now at least. Disappointing feud with FTR and they aren't exactly hot right now in terms of crowd reactions. They need to be built up over six months or so to be serious contenders. Beating 2.0 in a blowoff match is a good way to get them moving in the right direction. 

Part of me wants to see Jungle Boy get a big win next week but Luchasaurus has seemingly gotten worse or plateaued at best over the past two years and I need that Christian feud with JB. I guess you could do to the switch next week and then have the Christian turn come as they lose the belts. If not Jurassic Express, who? Do you quickly heat up Red Dragon (I am so happy AEW is going with this normal person spelling)? FTR just had their shot, even though they're probably most deserving despite some misses (some of the challenges with the Lucha Bros were misses for me and the aforementioned Santana and Ortiz feud). Best Friends are occupied and Chuck can't stop adjusting his tights every 5 seconds. Love him but something needs to be done. He's doing it even after the hug ffs. 

With that rambling done, I think Jurassic Express should win next week and Hangman retains (though I still think Danielson should win because he's the best act in the company right now and I'd guess the planet too but I don't watch much else these days). 

There's a photo of da Bunny bloodied up and smiling that looks like a lot. 

• Like 1

Jericho could really use more of these breaks more often.  After months of dreading 'Judas' and his on-the-nose-babyface promos, I found myself feeling excitement for Jericho v Kingston.  Fantastic to see Eddie there to call him out for taking his time coming out, and then soaking in the cheers, rather than concerning himself with Santana.  I also loved the sudden shock of 2 Point Oh scoring a pretty big victory.  I assume they eat a loss to PNP in the inevitable re-match, but last night felt like deserved elevation of this great Lee/Parker/Garcia trio.  

11 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I thought Rosa's attacker was Ivelisse at first. That would have made more sense. I have no idea who this Mercedes lady is.

That was my first thought, and storyline wise I loved it.  Tho, I loved more the Mercedes Martinez reveal.  I'm just getting familiar with the Mercedes catalog, and from a cursory look this looks like a huge pick-up for the division.    

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The top rope move was odd. If you forced me to guess, she was supposed to jump into the pump kick but Jade was out of position but who knows. Announcers should have covered by mentioning the back or the fact she just went head first into the post and then got kicked in the head in between the ropes but Tony just stammered about changing strategy.

Later on, in the lead up to the Samoan drop they were moving like they were in molasses so who knows. 

In a perfect world, this would be the kind of match Jade would be getting five times a month in house shows. 

I wish, if they need to protect Jade as a monster, that they had her working true 'dark' matches and getting in reps of all aspects of the ring.  That said, she sold well in this match.  This Rosa-Jade pairing lacked concise impact of some of the manuevers, but the storytelling as mentioned was good.  I too sense Rosa caught a real wound early.  

The Brandi rebuttal was odd, but she has (maybe surprising to all whom she annoys with her presence and poor booking) great fire for babyface promos, and nearly had the crowd with her by the end.  This may have been a bit of a miss, but I was very entertained by everything here, and look forward to the Rhodes Brothers/Brandi-Scorpio/Page/Lambert bout.  We all loved Isaiah Cassidy's entrance to FTR's Moroder-esque theme, but is there no love out there for Ethan Page's wonderfully obnoxious exit here?  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, just isn't the unnecessary capitalization in ReDRragon because they were beefing with the American Wolves and the use of his initials was to  fuck with Davey Richards?

The pronunciation has always been "Red Dragon" though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eikerir said:

I’ve always said it / heard it as Re-Dragon, I guess it just flows off the tongue as Red Dragon when speaking quickly tho. 

They pronounced it as “Red Dragon” on air when the pair was in ROH.

i feel like the Bucks-Cole-KOR stuff is decent booking and there are a lot of interesting ways they can go with it, but, personally, I have very little interest in seeing it play out.  I like all three groups well enough (Bucks, Elite, UE), but it seems like they’re just doing updated versions of their past gimmicks at this point and I.m mostly ready for something new.  I’d much prefer too see the Pinnacle or someone new replace The Elite as the dominant heel stable.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I was on the Santana and Ortiz should get the belts bandwagon but I've since jumped off for now at least. Disappointing feud with FTR and they aren't exactly hot right now in terms of crowd reactions. They need to be built up over six months or so to be serious contenders. Beating 2.0 in a blowoff match is a good way to get them moving in the right direction. 

I feel in order for them to get to that level they're going to need to be super intense heels, Eddie or no Eddie.  They were that in Impact and nailed it so much with their intensity that they made you pay attention.  All we got in AEW was them being the supporting cast for Jericho as heels and that was it.  So if they can shine on their own and bring that intensity then they'll do very, very well for themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I liked the show but found it interesting that there's two "torn between two factions/friends" stories going at once.  You have Cole between Bucks and ReDragon but there's also Santana/Ortiz who are between Eddie and Jericho.  In an ideal world I would do one of them at a time but with it being the end of the year I get that they want to set the table for next year.  As for where each goes the Bucks/Cole/ReDragon part gets lots of discussion already.  But I think Eddie will be the catalyst that gets Santana/Ortiz to finally ditch Jericho.  Then you can take that different ways where either Inner Circle explodes or they just do a clean break and get the tag belts.  And I'm really hoping one of the causes is the fact that Jericho waited until after the bell shot to come out.

Yeah I think having essentially the same storylines or matches on the same card with two different people/groups at the same time has been one of AEW’s weaknesses, so far.

Maybe Kingston was just mad that Jericho waited until they’d all been taken out and until after the bell shot to come out though.

• Like 2

The Lucha Bros/Tag Title run criticisms should be at least tempered by the fact that Rey Fenix has been injured since the switch.  It's messed up their dynamic not having that moment, so key to their success, of Rey Fenix going aerially ballistic.  He seems to be healthier every week, so hopefully they're ready to tear it down with Jungle Jack and the big guy.  I loved the miscommunication finish in the 10 man tag.  

Also, Luchasaurus is certainly a bit one note, but that one note-hot tag ass beating is consistently really good to perfect.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I thought that last night was a pretty awesome show. Super hot crowd. Lots of great in ring action. 

Mercedes Martinez is a such a smart pick up. Superior worker and also a good hand to have matches with and mentor all the younger female talent. How she debuted also made alot of sense as it gives Rosa a serious feud to jump into as well as an issue with Jade for down the road.

I think the "multi-man match" formula for TV is smart that allows for issues to fester without burning through singles matches.

Super pumped for next week. With Dynamite / Rampage / Battle of the Belts it has the potential to be a historic few days for the company and for all of us.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

No, it doesn't. I was tired though. 

It's like Goldust though. Everybody pronounces it Gold Dust.

It’s actually pronounced “Gol Dust”. Your ears are playing tricks on you. Same with people who think Sean O’Haire’s first name is pronounced “Shawn”, when it’s really pronounced “Sheen”.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I feel in order for them to get to that level they're going to need to be super intense heels, Eddie or no Eddie.  They were that in Impact and nailed it so much with their intensity that they made you pay attention.  All we got in AEW was them being the supporting cast for Jericho as heels and that was it.  So if they can shine on their own and bring that intensity then they'll do very, very well for themselves.

They definitely brought some of that fire early on when they were beating people with the madball, and especially during the Best Friends street fight. I think once they're given the shot they'll run with it. Hager has been gone for a bit, maybe he'll get involved somehow if it ends up being Jericho/Kingston

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

I thought it was funny but it didn’t really make sense since Tebow was just a training camp body that didn’t make the team.

Tony Khan spent more on catering for Dynamite tonight than Tebow made from the Jaguars.

Urban Meyer would have been more obvious but Tony Khan probably quashed that because they may end up in court with Meyer.

With Tebow, it was more "why the fuck are they wasting time bringing this guy in when they have a million other issues to fix?" It was a needless distraction at a time when Urban Meyer really needed to be making more calculating moves than bringing in his old QB who failed in the NFL. Bringing in Tebow brings all kinds of unwanted attention due to who he is. It doesn't benefit the team in any way whatsoever. Meyer bringing in Tebow basically set the tone of what kind of pro coach he was going to be (i.e. one that would get fired before the season was over). So even though it likely didn't cost the Khans much money, the move was just one that made fans go, "well this guy doesn't know what he's doing" and it ultimately was a waste of money, albeit a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s actually pronounced “Gol Dust”. Your ears are playing tricks on you. Same with people who think Sean O’Haire’s first name is pronounced “Shawn”, when it’s really pronounced “Sheen”.

Once you hear teenage fans at a 2005 show try to pronounce "Sugiura" you realize names are an entirely arbitrary invention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

It has a picture of a red dragon so as far as I’m concerned, that’s how you say it. Re-dragon doesn’t make any sense anyway.

Yes it does. They were dragons. But they weren't dragon enough so they had to go back, work on their moves and re-dragon themselves.

Ok, that bit sounded a lot better in my head and was awful.

zzQYp8w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Tapping into my inner Greggulator here, but I think it would be useful to do a promo or vignette explaining the history between the Bucks, ReDragon, and Cole. Nothing big is needed, but at least give people something because the story feels flat. 

At the risk of sounding misogynistic, I think nearly every segment with Brandi is just death. It's not just her fault either. You have Lambert sinking to stripper jokes among other shit he said. Then, Brandi is going to get attacked and Cody doesn't even come out? The fuck is that? Male or female or nonbinary, Brandi may be my least favorite performer in any wrestling company. 

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
45 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Yes it does. They were dragons. But they weren't dragon enough so they had to go back, work on their moves and re-dragon themselves.

Ok, that bit sounded a lot better in my head and was awful.

zzQYp8w.jpg

It's a shame you didn't tell that joke at an improv so we could add the letter "E" to the end.

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Tapping into my inner Greggulator here, but I think it would be useful to do a promo or vignette explaining the history between the Bucks, ReDragon, and Cole. Nothing big is needed, but at least give people something because the story feels flat. 

Feels like that’s where it’s heading. The same way Kenny, Hangman & The Bucks went in 2020.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs