DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - NEW YEAR'S SMASH - 12/29/2021

11 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

On Denise Salcedo’s post-Dynamite show some people (emails/chats) were offended by what CM Punk said about Tim Tebow…WTF?  I might just live up here in Soviet Canuckistan but I am hoping that Punk doesn’t wake up to a shitstorm.  Punk used to revel in throwing stuff back at the idiots.  Punk’s opinions on religion would blow their little minds.  

I thought it was funny but it didn’t really make sense since Tebow was just a training camp body that didn’t make the team.

Tony Khan spent more on catering for Dynamite tonight than Tebow made from the Jaguars.

Urban Meyer would have been more obvious but Tony Khan probably quashed that because they may end up in court with Meyer.

Once again, that was a fun wrestling show.  Was I the only one who noticed Isiah Kasidy scream like a little girl when being thrown in the airr by Luchasaurus?  That was amazing.  I can't stop watching it.  So great.  Thunder Rosa/Jade Cargill was WAAAAAY better than I thought it would be.  Turn Cargill and MArtinez face and have Cargill sell a body part every match.  She was Ricky Steamboat-esque selling the leg, which I really wasn't expecting.  So Bobby Fish is the best wrestler in AEW.  Yes, he is.  I've watched Kasidy scream now about fifteen times- what a way to close out the year and the channel.  So great.  YAY!  AEW RULES~!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Haven't watched wrestling in months, I think, but I was super-impressed by how far Thunder Rosa has come along. Her fire was relentless only to eat those two backbreakers like death. Call me a Wolverine mark, but her as X-23 is the most on point a wrestler has been with cosplay. I freakin loved that match. Ending had Wolvie vs Omega Red & Sabretooth vibes.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Can’t recall. But god, imagine if it leads to Bryan vs Angle...

Angle is in so much pain. He can't do it and as fantastic a meme and entertaining as it was, we need to let Perc Angle be a thing of the past. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Pretty fun night, if a bit overloaded. We had 26 wrestlers in matches and another 10-12 in live and taped promos.

Others have said it, but they need to get the belts off Lucha Bros. They are over but they can’t wrestle a true tag team match right now. On the other hand, don’t drop it to JE. Isiah Kassidy is a new fave of mine. FTR is #1 and the best. Also, if you had told me that in the year 2021 Christian Cage would be the one to take the fall for 2 luchadors, a tiny guy with a Tarzan gimmick, and a big limited dude in a lucha mask...

We continue to wait for Eddie to truly get his hands on Garcia. Santana and Ortiz/Proud and Powerful are great, I’d like them to get a title run, 2.0 were actually pretty good. Decent match that was obviously going to end with a schmozz. As others have mentioned, Jericho coming out for the “save” after the damage was done was sure something. Maybe it’ll lead to the breakup of the Inner Circle that many of us are hoping for.

I FFWD through the Wardlow squash. The payoff needs to happen soon.

So weird to see people shitting on Thunder Rosa and that match, I was hoping she would win with that Figure 4 as a tribute to pulling a Flair and carrying a broomstick to a 3-star match. It was nice seeing Jade having an actual match, to see how she sells. The answer is, she’s getting there. She can sell the area when she’s not doing her moves, and make some facial expressions, but she can’t sell the injury while doing her moves except when it’s expressly part of the story. At times, I almost felt like Thunder Rosa was kicking her a bit to remind her to sell the damn leg/knee. I guess good it wasn’t a clean win, and sets up Rosa for a feud and an eventual belt contender. I don’t know who Mercedes Martinez is, I thought from the body (and the Dark results) it was Diamanté.

Main event was great and helped set up one of the big storylines for 2022. I’ve never seen Kyle O’Reilly wrestle and hot damn ReDragon was f’ng awesome. Best Friends were good. Lots of great tag teams in AEW.

Final notes: JR did incredibly well on his return. CM Punk shitting on Tebow was funny as hell. Dan Lambert had a couple of good lines but he can go ahead and disappear from my TV from now on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think this tension between heels in the Undisputed Elite is dumb. Neither Cole or O’Reilly do anything as faces. Or the Bucks for that matter. Get it over with.

I’m the opposite, I like that we’re not acting like KO and Cole are best friends (again) and are acknowledging that they have heat with each other. They pretty much always start as a group and end up feuding with each other (PWG, ROH, WWE) so it’s nice not acting like the last decade hasnt happened. Kinda annoyed me that all the announcers kept saying RED Dragon all night tho.

JR felt pretty energised tonight and it was nice to see and hear.

So happy that Chuckie T is getting TV time again now that Trent and the real Best Friends are back.

Next week looks pretty stacked for a weekly show. I think Hangman is retaining but I hope the tag titles change even if just for a short reign. JB has to win something important sometime.

I hope Best Friends and Santana/Ortiz get a chance with the titles at some point next year. It seems Proud and Powerful live in a weird bubble where title shots don’t exist.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

I'm kind of shocked that we live in (wrestling) world where there are people who are not familiar with Mercedes Martinez, but of course, I had never even heard her name before the first Mae Young Classic and she was an 18-20(?) year veteran at that point. So yeah.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Kinda annoyed me that all the announcers kept saying RED Dragon all night tho.

That’s not how you pronounce it? Every time I hear it said out loud that’s how it’s said. But then I didn’t watch ROH in that period so I just heard it in Podcasts reviewing New Japan shows.

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s not how you pronounce it? Every time I hear it said out loud that’s how it’s said. But then I didn’t watch ROH in that period so I just heard it in Podcasts reviewing New Japan shows.

I’ve always said it / heard it as Re-Dragon, I guess it just flows off the tongue as Red Dragon when speaking quickly tho. 

Did Thunder Rosa get hurt in the match? Because there was a weird thing where she was setting up for a missile Dropkick but then landed on her feet and hit a standing back elbow instead. And then later in the match, she was doing running moves really slowly.

Wouldn't be surprised if she had a legit hurt leg, and did the Kawada broken arm no-sell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I thought Rosa's attacker was Ivelisse at first. That would have made more sense. I have no idea who this Mercedes lady is.

Mercedes was an NXT standard bearer for a while until this happened.

I am not sure how I feel about Mercedes being released after getting concussed while Xia Li got repackaged and sent to the Smackdown roster, but that is business I guess.  Budget cuts and shit.

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think this tension between heels in the Undisputed Elite is dumb. Neither Cole or O’Reilly do anything as faces. Or the Bucks for that matter. Get it over with.

I dunno.  I think it is kind of refreshing that Cole and O'Reilly remember that the last time they were in a ring together, they were beating the shit out of each other in NXT.   It is so carny that they don't have the usual selective amnesia that sometimes comes when you change feds and are treating their kayfabe grudge as a real thing without saying the letters WWE.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I dunno.  I think it is kind of refreshing that Cole and O'Reilly remember that the last time they were in a ring together, they were beating the shit out of each other in NXT.   It is so carny that they don't have the usual selective amnesia that sometimes comes when you change feds and are treating their kayfabe grudge as a real thing without saying the letters WWE.

I’m not saying don’t acknowledge it. I just think they should move on from it quickly. Are we turning one of them face? Why? If we’re not, wtf are we even doing? Acknowledge it and move on. Blame it on Fish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I’m not saying don’t acknowledge it. I just think they should move on from it quickly. Are we turning one of them face? Why? If we’re not, wtf are we even doing? Acknowledge it and move on. Blame it on Fish.

I'm not sure you can move on from it quickly since it seems to be baked into the booking.  It's obvious that the miscue in the match will be blamed on the heat between O'Reilly and Cole and the Bucks will stoke the flames of conspiracy.  I'm guessing this will lead up to Omega / Bucks vs. Cole / reDRagon once Kenny is back from surgery.  Hopefully it will be more of a tweeners vs heels thing since none of those guys make for believable babyfaces.

The thing that annoys me is that if this is all about Cole and O'Reilly struggling with their NXT history, then why can't the Bucks remember that reDRagon tried to kill them during an RoH title defense once upon a time or maybe that will come up in a future episode of BTE.  It's still too early to tell.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Did Thunder Rosa get hurt in the match? Because there was a weird thing where she was setting up for a missile Dropkick but then landed on her feet and hit a standing back elbow instead. And then later in the match, she was doing running moves really slowly.

Wouldn't be surprised if she had a legit hurt leg, and did the Kawada broken arm no-sell.

The top rope move was odd. If you forced me to guess, she was supposed to jump into the pump kick but Jade was out of position but who knows. Announcers should have covered by mentioning the back or the fact she just went head first into the post and then got kicked in the head in between the ropes but Tony just stammered about changing strategy.

Later on, in the lead up to the Samoan drop they were moving like they were in molasses so who knows. 

In a perfect world, this would be the kind of match Jade would be getting five times a month in house shows. 

• Like 3

This was definitely Jade's best match yet. It has made me really curious to see her Vs Soho now that we've got the chance to see her with a little more time. Mercedes is a great get for them. She has so much to offer and I look forward to it. 

• Like 2