DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - NEW YEAR'S SMASH - 12/29/2021

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Also, seems like Baker is already lobbying for a Toni Storm match. I remember liking her in-ring work but her presentation being pretty cringe prior to signing with WWE. Any of that change?

No. If she came to AEW, she'd basically be 80s rocker chick Ruby Soho (but way better in-ring).

I wasn't expecting a clean sweep for the heels but hey, it's like AEW's SummerSlam where evil stands tall.

Jade Cargill vs. Ruby Soho for the TBS title and Jade is now rolling with Mercedes Martinez.  The writing may be on the wall.

Thunder Rosa rocks the X-23 cosplay and still loses.  Life is not fair.

I missed the worked shoot stylings of reDRagon so much.

I am not heartbroken that the main event pre-empted Solo:  A Star Wars Story.

RIP Brian Pillman Jr.

My DVR is adjusted.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Great show, great main event, but man is AEW falling into too many shenanigans when heels need a win. Faces can lose clean and learn from their mistakes. It's okay.

But this was the highlight of the night. Private Party are my guys. Isiah Kassidy in particular has come a long way. Them dancing out to the knockoff Midnight's theme was legendary stuff.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Main event was decent, but that was one of the worst Dynamites in awhile. Say what you want about Jade being green, but that was an abysmal performance by Rosa. Hopefully she shakes it off, because her and Martinez should rule

I do love that there are so many main show angles involving the women going on right now. TBS title, Rosa/Martinez, Shida/Deeb, Statlander/Hirsch, Conti-Jay/Rose-Bunny, Baker/Riho. It would be nice to get more than one match, but at least we're past the title feud and one other feud days

• Like 6

Mercedes Martinez is a fantastic pick-up. And debuting her like that on the night where Toni Storm got her release from WWE probably gave a few people a mini-heart attack (even though most of us know it’s way too early for that to happen). But on that Jade/Thunder match - I’ve said it before, but I’ve never really seen what’s so great about Thunder Rosa. There are flashes of being really great, but most of the time, for me, it just falls flat. I much rather watch Ruby Soho or Kris Statlander or Tay Conti. For as praised as her Lights Out match with Britt Baker was, it was kind of clumsy. And that wasn’t ALL because of Britt.

I’m no fan of the Undisputed Era, but I’m intrigued by this story. Love that Kyle and Cole aren’t just buddy buddy again even though they apparently feuded literally months ago on the other channel. Give me reDRagon vs Young Bucks immediately, though. Also: it’s fucking WILD that Undisputed Era (or whatever) main evented the last Dynamite of 2021 and the last one on TNT, all from Daily’s Place. 

Punk’s promo was great. That’s all I have to say about it. Love the callback to the pipebomb.

Edited by Casey

I thought this show ruled. Daily's Place looked great and the crowd was on fire. Opener was a blast. Private Party dancing out to FTR's theme was classic, great theme. FTR deliver as usual. 

Badass Brandi on the mic will always be hilarious. 

Awesome to see Mercedes Martinez has become All Elite. She had a fun 1 month run in Impact and now her vs Thunder Rosa should be excellent. Nice surprise I did not see coming. "A CREW MEMBER just blindsided Thunder Rosa!!" Very much looking forward to Jade/Ruby next week. Good Punk promo. 

Main event was pretty good. I absolutely love the reDRagon theme song.  Looking forward to an exciting start to next year, only wish Battle of the Belts was more than 1 hour but Riho/Britt should be great.

• Like 3

I admittedly haven't been the biggest fan of JR in AEW but that crowd reaction for his return was truly heartwarming, and there was less sour grandpa JR and more insightful veteran announcer JR tonight. It was really a treat to hear him sounding happy at various points during the broadcast.

And yes, of course, fuck cancer.

.I like how they subtly foreshadowed the ending of the opener when the faces entered separately but the heels came out together.

White hot return for Jericho!

Wardlow just stewing away and glowering in the background of MJF interviews is great stuff, as is him taking out his frustrations on some hapless wimpy.

Size, power, bigness, muscle, strength, bulk, hugeitude... mass, enormity, lifting prowess... pecs, delts, lats, biceps, triceps... Wardlow has it all, Gorilla!

LOVED Scorpio Sky's sweater!! Him rolling around selling Lambert's insults was gold.

Wolverine Thunder!!

Remember when the lackluster woman's roster was one of AEW's weak points?

So many great matches coming up. This week alone, they set wheels turning for JE vs LB, Jericho vs Kingston, Mercedes vs Thunder, reDragon vs Bucks... at various points down the road.

Also: So many good theme songs.  As always, so much to enjoy.

I was wrong about CP Munk showing up. Wonder who it was they were talking about...

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

Rosa/Jade did what it had to do but it looked like Rosa was trying to work with a broomstick at points. Jade has so much potential but she's still SO incredibly green. Rosa v Ruby would've been good, but I am not too stoked for Jade v Ruby.

Whomever made the "Bucks v reDRagon winner gets custody of Adam Cole" graphic predicted the future!

Punk being like "well fuck MJF dodging me I've got better things to do" is so wonderfully logical. 

• Like 5

I thought there was some interesting psychology in Rosa/Jade, with Rosa trying to keep the match on the outside for a looong time, using the ringside area to break her down physically to start the match, and then trying to keep Jade in a corner once it got in the ring.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Dog said:

Given Dan Lambert's promo, I guess they're gonna try to turn Cody face?

?

If they wanted to try, I don’t think they would have him stay backstage while his wife confronted three men.

That was weird.

Jericho waiting until his buddy was clocked with the bell and taking the time to get his music cued was a little weird.

I thought Cargill vs Rosa spent too much time outside the ring. But this was probably Cargill’s best match. I thought she did a pretty decent job selling at points for how green she is.

Brian Pillman, jr cut a really good promo. I’m curious about the new version of him he said would show up next week 

CM Punk’s comment about MJF being a waste of Khan money like Tebow was very funny. The Jacksonville crowd being shocked because they love Tebow but knowing it was true was also amusing.

The main event was solid but I don’t really understand why the Young Bucks instantly had animosity towards Kyle O’Reilly but not Fish and I certainly don’t know why we’re supposed to care.

• Like 1

On Denise Salcedo’s post-Dynamite show some people (emails/chats) were offended by what CM Punk said about Tim Tebow…WTF?  I might just live up here in Soviet Canuckistan but I am hoping that Punk doesn’t wake up to a shitstorm.  Punk used to revel in throwing stuff back at the idiots.  Punk’s opinions on religion would blow their little minds.