DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - NEW YEAR'S SMASH - 12/29/2021

Eddie Kingston, Santana & Ortiz vs. Daniel Garica & Team 2Point0

Unsurprisingly, Eddie Kingston has talked me into being really really excited for this match. Before watching the Road To I was just really excited. 

Thunder Rosa vs. Jade Cargill (TBS Women's Title Tourney Semifinals)

Winner faces Ruby "Ruby Ruby Ruby" Soho for the Turner Broadcasting System Championship

My take: Thunder vs Ruby would likely be the better match, but "Outsider who didn't get a bye" Ruby vs "Entitled favourite" Jade Cargill would be the better story. It's win-win, basically. Interested to see how Jade does in a (presumably) longer, more back-and-forth type of match.

Adam Cole, Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly vs. Best Friends & Orange Cassidy

Best Friends and UE have a lot of experience fighting each other. Hopefully, that means there will be crazy ring chemistry and all kinds of cool stuff going on in this match. 

The return of Jim Ross

(Afraid to say anything)

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

It’s pretty cool that there continues to be some uncertainty with the TBS title tournament. As someone who is still relatively new to the promotion, is AEW more likely to want the first titleholder to be

a) their in-house budding superstar who has gotten a huge undefeated push (but is painfully green)

b) a popular indie veteran/trainer with a good look who can work well with everyone

c) a NXT/WWE castoff who is over, has a good look, but seems to need to be carried to her best matches (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing in the business).

• Like 1

There's only been a couple of years of AEW, so I don't think anybody's watched enough to answer that one with confidence.

(For what it's worth, the poll on the other thread has 20 people who think Ruby's taking it, 18 for Jade, and only 6 for Thunder. And one person who thought Nyla was winning.)

Personally, I think it comes down to how soon they want to run Britt vs Thunder for the world title. If that's still a ways off, Rosa over Soho in the finals. If it's coming soon, Soho over Cargill. Jade's awesome, but she needs to lose a match eventually and I think this tournament is the time.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JLowe said:

It’s pretty cool that there continues to be some uncertainty with the TBS title tournament. As someone who is still relatively new to the promotion, is AEW more likely to want the first titleholder to be

a) their in-house budding superstar who has gotten a huge undefeated push (but is painfully green)

b) a popular indie veteran/trainer with a good look who can work well with everyone

c) a NXT/WWE castoff who is over, has a good look, but seems to need to be carried to her best matches (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing in the business).

d) Ruby Soho, because Tony really just likes her, regardless of where she's come from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Have Cole and O'Reilly patched things up in a promo or a skit, to tie up the end of their previous employer's story, yet? Seems like a thing they would/should acknowledge, because AEW is good at storytelling that pays off.

In this week's BTE, Cole told the Bucks that Fish was the one to get the him and O'Reilly to let bygones be bygones and reunite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Wow, this is definitely way too many multi-person tags on one show for my tastes.

I've been hearing this a lot lately, especially on Deadlock. On the one hand, I can understand, but each of these are serving a purpose to push forward the story between the two sides and what is the alternative? Burning through singles matches too soon and then you have the potential problem of becoming WWE in diluting importance of singles matches? Letting feuds peter out? Relying on angles and promos more? I think they could get to those singles matches a little bit more expeditiously more often, but this is DVDVR... The board that taught me how great the early '90s WCW multiman tags were, and I think AEW has done a good job of keeping that spirit alive. They almost always hit, even if there isn't an urgency to all of them and they aren't must-see-TV.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Let's go Curtis Axel!

Having only seen a couple highlights of himi on youtube, and hear Arn speak of him, I still imagine Curt Hennig's son to be potentially awesome.  I've heard otherwise, but I also see ppl burying Tony Nese every week and I've seen nothing but terrific matches from him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Having only seen a couple highlights of himi on youtube, and hear Arn speak of him, I still imagine Curt Hennig's son to be potentially awesome.  I've heard otherwise, but I also see ppl burying Tony Nese every week and I've seen nothing but terrific matches from him.

I groaned at the Nese signing and every match has been great, the last one on Dark was just spot-on. I kind of wish he had Bobby Fish's spot? Even though that makes no storyline sense?

• Like 2