DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2.0 - 12/28/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Since the 2.0 rebrand there hasn't been much holding my interest. Checked in tonight since it's been a while and figured why not and.....

That MSK/Riddle/Imperium segment.... worst NXT segment ever? I'm not sure anything can come close. 

Christ that Carmelo/Diamond Mine segment too, I couldn't get past Trik's "You're the B champion because you won't be champion," basic sentence structure, wouldn't him being B champion be because he will be champion, felt like he accidentally threw Carmelo under the bus on that one, like okay it /sounds/ great for the half second it takes anyone to put any thought into it. I doubt I'll watch NXT week but really hoping Strong takes that one.

NXT used to be so good too =( 

• Like 2

The Io Shirai/Kay Lee Ray vs Raquel Gonzalez/Cora Jade was the best women's match in the  DARKNXT Tuesday WRESTLEBLOKK!  I liked the dueling dives by Ray and then Shirai.  So Kay Lee Ray is the best wrestler in the NXT women's division?  The Tiffani Stratton/Fallon Henley match was number five behind Shirai/Ray vs Gonzalez/Jade, KiLynn King vs The Bunny, Anna Jay vs Reka Tehaka, and Diamante vs Shawna Reed.  It beats out Skye Blue vs Ashley D'Ambroise because it was more than a minute long.  Stratton looked perfectly fine for a gal in her second match.  

• Like 1

So it seemed like Barrett was trying to push a different narrative around Stratton than WWE/Stratton herself. Barrett was talking about her rich dad hiring the best coaches and facilities to train his daughter (sort of a Williams' sisters kind of story) which made me think "Hey maybe this gimmick isn't as bad as previously advertised! There's room to bring in someone as a domineering father who pushes his daughter to hard, then have her stand up to her dad and turn face then the dad could bring in another wrestler to teach her a lesson, this could have legs!" then Stratton would dance around blowing kisses and clapping for herself which was clearly something else. Her handspring/flips into the corner was worse than Snooki's where she seemed to almost injure herself on the last flip, pause, then turn around to throw herself into the corner to audible groans and boos. 

Edited by caley

Raquel breaking up a pin that would have guaranteed her a title match next week because Cora Jade was stealing 'her' win is one of the stupider things I've seen on a wrestling show in a while, though to be fair, I have stopped watching Raw and most Smackdowns.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, caley said:

So it seemed like Barrett was trying to push a different narrative around Stratton than WWE/Stratton herself. Barrett was talking about her rich dad hiring the best coaches and facilities to train his daughter (sort of a Williams' sisters kind of story) which made me think "Hey maybe this gimmick isn't as bad as previously advertised! There's room to bring in someone as a domineering father who pushes his daughter to hard, then have her stand up to her dad and turn face then the dad could bring in another wrestler to teach her a lesson, this could have legs!" then Stratton would dance around blowing kisses and clapping for herself which was clearly something else. Her handspring/flips into the corner was worse than Snooki's where she seemed to almost injure herself on the last flip, pause, then turn around to throw herself into the corner to audible groans and boos. 

Not sure where you got this. The stuff Barrett mentioned was also mentioned in the promo vids for Stratton. An overbearing coach gimmick where Stratton had to break away would have been more interesting, but it was never in the cards. Honestly, Stratton just feels off in the rich brat gimmick. Seems like something that would have worked better for say Alexa Bliss when she was in NXT.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Raquel breaking up a pin that would have guaranteed her a title match next week because Cora Jade was stealing 'her' win is one of the stupider things I've seen on a wrestling show in a while, though to be fair, I have stopped watching Raw and most Smackdowns.

She proved both Dakota Kai and Mandy Rose right on that one! Dakota was warning Jade that Raquel was only leeching on Jade's recent success in order to take all the glory! Raquel was like "Um, no, bitch!" And yet, here she was, exposing her true colors! Not a good look on her. If it leads to '96 Diesel-ish heel turn for her, then it will be all good, however.

Stratton seems like a weird mix of Lacey Evans, Ivy Nyle and Franky Monet. For a gymnast, she showed quite a bit of raw strength, not so much flipping, as I would have expected. Well, she's supposed to be a heel, so I guess that is just as well.

Edited by Shartnado
Stratton thoughts

11 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

She proved both Dakota Kai and Mandy Rose right on that one! Dakota was warning Jade that Raquel was only leeching on Jade's recent success in order to take all the glory! Raquel was like "Um, no, bitch!" And yet, here she was, exposing her true colors! Not a good look on her. If it leads to '96 Diesel-ish heel turn for her, then it will be all good, however.

This doesn't quite work when Jade was the one stealing Raquel's pinfall.

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This doesn't quite work when Jade was the one stealing Raquel's pinfall.

Ok, I can see how you would think that, but Jade has had every bit of her success so far by taking advantage of a lucky opportunity presenting itself. She's young and hungry, trying to make a name for herself, she'll take any opportunity she can get. If this was a 4-way match, then sure, but she was just trying to win for her team. She may have been a bit inconsiderate here, but I'm sure it was a heat of the moment thing and her heart was in the right place. Not that Raquel will buy that for a second, though.

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

For a gymnast, she showed quite a bit of raw strength, not so much flipping, as I would have expected. Well, she's supposed to be a heel, so I guess that is just as well.

FWIW, I've known a couple collegiate gymnasts and they were surprisingly strong.  My sister-in-law competed in gymnastics and track-and-field in school.  Her out-of-competition workout program was extremely intense.  Basically trained like a crossfitter before Crossfit was a thing.

Also, Jessica Woynilko/Tiffany Stratton has competed in bodybuilding competitions and has some MMA experience, so she probably fits the WWE mold more than the elite gymnast stereotype.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mark said:

FWIW, I've known a couple collegiate gymnasts and they were surprisingly strong.  My sister-in-law competed in gymnastics and track-and-field in school.  Her out-of-competition workout program was extremely intense.  Basically trained like a crossfitter before Crossfit was a thing.

Also, Jessica Woynilko/Tiffany Stratton has competed in bodybuilding competitions and has some MMA experience, so she probably fits the WWE mold more than the elite gymnast stereotype.

That's right, they said that about the bodybuilding! But yeah, gymnasts are hell of an athletes, so I'm not doubting her strength at all, I was just a bit surprised at her general style of wrestling.

• Like 1