DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 17

Dolfan in NYC

We'll probably never find out exactly what AB's issues are, but he's an interesting case.  He was basically a petulant child/distraction when he was in Pgh, but I know a number of people who were around him back then and think he was basically doing a bit where a talented young WR woke up one day and decided he could probably get more money & fame if he created an outrageous, controversial character named AB - the Madonna/Eric Bischoff theory of self-promotion.  For that matter, I know people with the Steelers who think his departure from the team was less Brown blowing a gasket and more Brown coming up with a plan to get out of his contract (he was released in the offseason after throwing a football at Big Ben's head and going awol the week of a playoff game).

Somewhere along the way, he lost the plot.  I'm heard it theorized that CTE may be what drove him from flamboyant eccentric to general nuisance and potential threat.  A good as explanation as any.

I'm still amused that someone thought putting Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, and AB in the same locker room was a good idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Mike Evans was trying to calm Brown down a bit before he took off and he was just "LOL nope."

I'm disappointed that "Eye of the Tiger" didn't play in it's entirety while he left the field. That would've been epic!

Collinsworth talking up Sean Mannion as not being the problem with the Minnesota offense is comical. The reason Dalvin Cook is having a bad game is because the Packers aren’t having to worry about a pass more than about 15 yards downfield. 

15 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

We'll probably never find out exactly what AB's issues are, but he's an interesting case.  He was basically a petulant child/distraction when he was in Pgh, but I know a number of people who were around him back then and think he was basically doing a bit where a talented young WR woke up one day and decided he could probably get more money & fame if he created an outrageous, controversial character named AB - the Madonna/Eric Bischoff theory of self-promotion.  For that matter, I know people with the Steelers who think his departure from the team was less Brown blowing a gasket and more Brown coming up with a plan to get out of his contract (he was released in the offseason after throwing a football at Big Ben's head and going awol the week of a playoff game).

Somewhere along the way, he lost the plot.  I'm heard it theorized that CTE may be what drove him from flamboyant eccentric to general nuisance and potential threat.  A good as explanation as any.

I'm still amused that someone thought putting Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, and AB in the same locker room was a good idea.

Antonio Brown is a hall of fame player, whether or not he actually ever gets inducted, who played at Central Michigan and was drafted in the 6th round.  It's pretty clear that he's had problems for a long ass time.  Players that good don't end up at Central Michigan unless there are real life problems.  He was 2-time All State in football in Florida.  He played 5 games at quarterback at a junior college and threw 11 touchdowns and ran for 13 more.  He transferred to Florida International but was expelled before his first game after getting in a fight with a security guard.    A few years ago I was reading a breakdown of NFL wide receivers where they grade who is the best deep threat, who is the best on the underneath routes, who is the best route runner, who is the best in traffic, and he was statistically the best at all of it.  He's an immense talent but that guy isn't acting like he has problems, he has actual, real life, need help, and ain't getting it, problems.  

• Like 4

AB clearly has issues but it is also hard to not think at least part of all this isn’t  calculated

I mean he released a new single this morning - pretty convenient timing.

• Like 2

My wife watched a little bit of an AB discussion this morning and summed it up as "craziest thing I've seen this weekend".

Lol, I nearly spit up my coffee.  Here's my weekend: my sister-in-law FaceTimed with an aunt Saturday and the aunt's "ex"-husband accidentally walked into camera view.  Said ex-husband disappeared from our lives about 20 years ago and we were under the impression the aunt had divorced him and had no idea where he was.  Nah, the aunt just decided to gaslight her entire family for two decades.  That's perfectly normal, right?

On the other hand, I'm not married to AB.  I am married to my wife and, so far as I can remember, was sober and lucid when I decided I wanted to spend my life with her.  It's probably better for my peace of mind if I pretend AB is the crazy one and don't contemplate my in-laws "quirks" too much.  I really don't have time for an existential crisis this week.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

My wife watched a little bit of an AB discussion this morning and summed it up as "craziest thing I've seen this weekend".

Lol, I nearly spit up my coffee.  Here's my weekend: my sister-in-law FaceTimed with an aunt Saturday and the aunt's "ex"-husband accidentally walked into camera view.  Said ex-husband disappeared from our lives about 20 years ago and we were under the impression the aunt had divorced him and had no idea where he was.  Nah, the aunt just decided to gaslight her entire family for two decades.  That's perfectly normal, right?

On the other hand, I'm not married to AB.  I am married to my wife and, so far as I can remember, was sober and lucid when I decided I wanted to spend my life with her.  It's probably better for my peace of mind if I pretend AB is the crazy one and don't contemplate my in-laws "quirks" too much.  I really don't have time for an existential crisis this week.

I have so many questions.  So, was he living with the aunt the entire time, but just decided he had no desire to ever be in contact with her family?  Did no one ever go to her house?  Did he just run out the back door when there was a unexpected visitor?  How the hell do you pull this off for two whole decades?

38 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have so many questions.  So, was he living with the aunt the entire time, but just decided he had no desire to ever be in contact with her family?  Did no one ever go to her house?  Did he just run out the back door when there was a unexpected visitor?  How the hell do you pull this off for two whole decades?

LOl, you have questions?  I have enough questions to fill a notebook, but so far answers are a little hard to come by.  No, the husband hasn't been in the house for two decades.  He apparently just moved back in.  Aunt has known where he was, saw him regularly, and never divorced him.  Whatever happened between them didn't involve him voluntarily leaving or her throwing him out, so I'm guessing the answer is legal.  Aunt isn't really talking.  My mother-in-law and her siblings do this thing where they keep in touch and pretend to be close but go out of their way to avoid having real relationships with each other.  It's been a subject of debate whether or not the aunt was actually divorced or what happened to the ex.  I used to joke that the aunt would sell her house and the new homeowners would dig him up in the backyard when they put in a pool.

As for how this happened, aunt lives in a different state about a thousand miles away from nearest relatives.   Much of the family lives in Australia - my wife didn't see the US until she came here for college - and most of the rest settled in the Northeast.  Aunt rarely visits, family rarely goes to her.  Plus aunt stopped traveling several years ago due to health issue.  Pretty easy to keep secrets like that if you want to.  My mother-in-law and her siblings tread carefully around the aunt and don't ask too many questions.  There's always a flimsy rationale, but I think the real reason is that they're afraid the aunt will just cut off contact entirely if they ask too many questions or seem disapproving.

Interestingly, my sister-in-law is under the impression that the aunt kept all this a secret even from her local friends.  Aunt's  best friend was supposedly in the dark too.

I don't have high hopes for 2022, but I did expect to make it at least two days before my life became a wacky Australian soap opera.  On the plus side, my wife is still pretty adorable when she scrunches up her face and grouses "I am not white trash".  She's never really lost her accent, and I notice it more when she's mad or trying to talk fast.   Lol, it still works for me.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1