DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - HOLIDAY BASH - 12/22/2021

I think Ruby either got legit hurt, or she’s the best seller in years. That Nyla hang lady knee drop might’ve been the scariest one she’s hit in AEW. Outside of the jacket issues in that match that was another great women’s match in this tournament. Also I heard some complaints about the TBS title tournament recently that I just couldn’t stand to listen to the rest of the podcast these comments were on. Like I don’t understand how you can feel any negativity towards it. Like maybe your issue is that it’s taken too long, but honestly I feel like that has been a benefit. Every match is lengthy, and has a grueling big fight feel to it. Also they’ve sprinkled some non-Tournament matches in-between because they need space for the TBS premier, but those too have been bangers. The only negative thing I’ve seen in my eyes is that it’s exposed some talents mediocrity because it’s highlighted the very best women in the division. 

Okay actually you want to know a legit complaint I have about the tournament? Please TK, stop doing too many single elimination tournaments. It’s like you gave the book to CMLL all of a sudden. Spice it up a bit! And I don’t mean G1 style. Like what I’ve been begging forever that you should do a Torneo Cibernetico, or battle bowls(without the battle royale), or a trios tournament with singles, and tag title implications at stake. Just not the same old single elimination singles match tourney over, and over again.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

What a great fucking show!  Cried manly tears during the reDRagon reunion.  Orange took his post match whoopin' like a champ.  Loved the "I thought we were your favorites?" stuff from the Bucks.  It was also cool that Cole's first reaction upon seeing KOR was to punch him, reminding us that they didn't exactly part on good terms.  CONTINUITY~!  Omega / YB's vs. Cole / reDRagon could be big if the booking goes that way.

I could watch Wardlow power bomb dudes to death all day.

Ruby wrestled from underneath pretty well against Nyla's somewhat unfocused offense.  I did appreciate them finally working manager cheating into Nyla's knee spot since it never made any sense for a worker to just lay there draped over the top rope while Nyla killed them.  I think Ruby legit hurt herself during the match.  Those grimaces looked genuine.  I agree with Dean.  I think Rosa hands Jade her first loss because a Jade Cargill / Ruby Soho final does not look good on paper.  Jade is making decent strides, but I am not sure you want her in the finals of the TBS tournament maybe exploiting an injury gimmick by focusing on Ruby's shoulder.  Rosa should be able to do it without killing Ruby in the process.

Griff Garrison can sure take a beating and Malakai Black knows how to dish one out.  That five count seemed to last forever when Malakai was just connecting with combos.  Sadistic and appropriate for Black to tease the Black Mass and then just force Griff to tap out.  Is Isaiah Kassidy teaching selling these days?  Everyone seems to be using his fight gravity and fail selling for KO shots and it is pretty great.  Pillman Jr. looked like he was struggling against the darkness, but it finally caught up with him.

Main event was awesome!  I was twelve years old again when Punk, Sting, and Darby came out in themed facepaint!  Greensboro deserved that since it is a phenominal pro wrestling down.  Props to MJF and FTR for leaning into everything and I am glad the MJF is not dead after getting beal tossed directly onto his dome from a dizzying height.  Did Dax and Malakai have a bet on who threw the better punches?  I am not sure who won because they all looked pretty sweet.  Finish was really good.  I hate that this is probably trending towards a kill your hero victory for MJF vs Punk in the blow-off, but it would be a career building win for him and the Pinnacle.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

Started with the end last. Hell of a tag. Just a special sort of match. MJF breaking when Punk came out with the facepaint on was kind of great. More on Monday night at SC.

I'm skipping around. I kind of love that the only extended feud in the company is Shida vs Deeb. How many other programs get two matches let alone four? The only problem is that I want to see Deeb against literally everyone else on the roster.

• Like 9

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Enjoyed the main, Sting looked great, MJF at his shitweasel best and glad he didnt break his neck. Hope FTR get another string of good wins together for a tilt at the belts again. 

Bring on O'Reilly in AEW. 

I love that KOR is in AEW and Fish will probably get to spend his last year's as a wrestler teaming with Kyle again, but I'm really not sure how I feel about Undisputed Era 2.0. I also do not want the Bucks as faces again. Their heel act in AEW is maybe the stuff I've loved of theirs the most.

My gut says that this is probably leading to Cole turning on Fish and Kyle, but you never know.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I also do not want the Bucks as faces again. Their heel act in AEW is maybe the stuff I've loved of theirs the most.

I do too, but I think with their long heel reign, and all the crazy shit they did with their looks, that they ran through everything too quickly. So I wouldn’t mind a turn at this point. If they lost the belts, and disappeared from TV, and then came back to attack the top babyface team you could justify them continuing the act. But they stuck around too long after at this point.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Re: Soho vs Nyla. Very much what I've wanted out of Soho with the headbutts on the floor and a little more necessary abandon to go along with her character. The way she slingshotted her back into the ropes to hit a DDT when Nyla had her was novel and fit that right mold too. Likewise the dropkick van daminator off the apron. No Future is just a bad, bad finisher because the physics are too wonky to make it look like it has impact. It might work as a cut out move or a hope spot but I really don't buy it as a finish, even this one which looked pretty good and had a nice set up. I continue to have absolutely no problem with Nyla. I just don't see the criticisms about her not working to her size. My guess is that they're from a year or two ago maybe?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Okay actually you want to know a legit complaint I have about the tournament? Please TK, stop doing too many single elimination tournaments. It’s like you gave the book to CMLL all of a sudden. Spice it up a bit! And I don’t mean G1 style. Like what I’ve been begging forever that you should do a Torneo Cibernetico, or battle bowls(without the battle royale), or a trios tournament with singles, and tag title implications at stake. Just not the same old single elimination singles match tourney over, and over again.

I love the simple logic of tournaments and the way AEW has used them thus far.  This TBS tournament in particular has given a strong reason for the weekly prime time Women's battle, and has been the best thing to happen to the division since DMD's heel act exploded.  I'd like to see more tournaments or as many as they've done.  The World title eliminator which Danielson won was full of intrigue and fueled a lot of talk on here.  I think we're due a tag title eliminator tournament already.  All that said, I too was hoping for a mini (see lighter schedule) G1-style round robin for the Owen.  Tho, only the brackets graphic suggest single elimination thus far - did they mention any more info on commentary about the set-up? 

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Small detail I liked, was Cole and O'Reilly not immediately being chummy. Respecting the last time they were in the ring against each other just gives you that little hint of protecting kayfabe you need once in awhile ??????

O'Reilly's debut was interesting.  The masking shot of just Orange as the crowd stirred was really neat.  The Cole-KOR uncertainty callback thing, to where they left off in NXT (assuming they were at odds), is seemingly a nice detail for the crowd, but in story Cole's the one gifting him to AEW.  So surely any dissention was put to rest?  The post match with the Bucks felt incredibly awkward.  Which is sort of the intended result, but felt like not everybody knew what to do.  Fish and O'Reilly were playing towards the hard cam like a pair of Rick Knoxes pretending not to see anybody else in the ring.  Shots needed to be tighter.  Guys needed to be looking at their future dance partners.  

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I love that KOR is in AEW and Fish will probably get to spend his last year's as a wrestler teaming with Kyle again, but I'm really not sure how I feel about Undisputed Era 2.0. I also do not want the Bucks as faces again. Their heel act in AEW is maybe the stuff I've loved of theirs the most.

I completely agree.  The Bucks have consistently had arguably the best segments on the show since their turn.  Having them regress back to sadsack-lame-babyfaces feels like potentially a lump of coal in my AEW stocking.  I also like how the Elite as a group helped Adam Cole showcase a more entertaining (see hilarious without being a goof) asshole character from his previous and humorless NXT version.  I only saw a handful of the Undisputed Era NXT segments, but they were far too cliched 'INTENSE' for my liking.  That said, seeing the UE reunited on the rival show was a fun moment, and I believe Cole without the E direction will be as entertaining no matter how they slice it.  Yeah, where do you go with this one without taking away one of the best heel acts in the company?  Cole turning on KOR/Fish also doesn't ring so nicely, but maybe that explains the initial look between he and 'Cool Kyle'.  I'm intrigued.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

9 hours ago, Cristobal said:

I choose to assume "emphatically" means "hard enough that he bounced twice"

So much to love about last night. Only thing that runs hollow for me is the idea that Cole and KO are palsy-walsies again three months after their death feud in NXT... even by wrestling standards that's pushing it. But it's going to be fun seeing where this goes with Cole and reDRagon vs the Bucks.

The gimmick continuity with both main event teams was fantastic, especially MJFTR looking like a touring Mexican trios act from the 1980s in the matching gear. Also love Dax sacrificing himself for MJF... a great character establishing moment for him, saving the head man and eating all the finishers. MJF really strikes me as a modern-day Tully Blanchard in that he can stooge like crazy but he also brings the wrestling in spades when required. Makes me wish we could see him working squash matches on Mid Atlantic or Georgia backinaday.

• Like 1

Nyla's also announced she's got a writing gig at Marvel Comics. Part of the crew on a new Thunderbird thingy.

Edited by AxB
writing, not writ g
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 8:00 AM, Jiji said:

It's interesting Orange went from the most organically over act in the company in front of live audiences to Jericho leeching/"putting him over" and then transitioned into a seemingly half year program with Matt Hardy, whose character is a leech but is generally far more giving than Jericho, in which Hardy won with shenanigans and they just kinda moved on even after OC said it wasn't finished (I suppose they could do the AEW thing where they rekindle an old rivalry sometime next year and that would be fine). I really enjoy Hardy's act but that was too long and the wrong guy went over in the end. There were a few weeks where they needed to give Kenny a credible challenger on PPV and the triple threat ruled but it's a little disappointing to see where they've gone with Cassidy. Not sure what his ceiling is but he feels like he hasn't reached it yet, though maybe it's lowered after this, imo, fumbling. 

Cassidy repeatedly got the better of Jericho and beat him to end the feud. And that was Cassidy’s first big feud.

The Jericho leeching/burying to put himself over didn’t start until the MJF feud. AEW just didn’t build on the momentum from the Jericho feud which they’ve done with multiple other people.

Personally, it’s been almost three years of the pockets and light kicks stuff. I’m bored with it (and I don’t understand how it can be a mind game when he’s been doing it for years—does no one actually prepare for matches in AEW?) so comedy midcarder seems like a good spot for him.

Anyway, thought this was kind of a weak show. In that if you missed it, I don’t think it would have been a big deal.

Cole vs Cassidy went on a little too long for me but I’m glad Cole won. It’s cool Kyle O’reilly is in AEW but it was so telegraphed that I don’t think it was a surprise to many.

The women’s match was a little rough starting with Ruby not being able to get her jacket off. Thought she sold her shoulder well but overall I didn’t care for the match.

Bryan Danielson continues to be a great heel on the mic. Judges is a little weird but I think they did that before and they weren’t necessary, so hopefully that’s the case for the rematch.

Dan Lambert’s promo was great. Mocking AEW/Tony Khan for making decisions based on friendship, and comparing getting Cody cheered to mission impossible was hilarious.

Disappointed the Malakai Black Griff match was just a pointless extended squash and didn’t further the House of Black storyline. Was hoping for Brody King or a Julia Hart heel turn.

The main event was a good match. FTR is amazing, they’re better than you’re favorite tag team and you know it.

MJF being the classic chicken shit heel constantly running from Punk was also great.

The highlight of this show though for me was easily Taz’s commentary. So many good lines. Telling Tony that nobody cared he was in North Carolina in 1987 had me dying.

I did not like the internal logic of the judges set-up, unless I missed a line. But why would The Cowboy just accept a match with judges at the insistence of Bryan Danielson? It would have been better if it was set up by some authority figure type. Not that needs to be on screen. But just something like “Tony Kahn has said that if this goes for another hour again that a panel of judges will...” 

Just a small nitpick about the angle. It feels like Bryan gets to handpick the judges. If that is the case, I am actually all in favor of The Dragon stacking the deck through bribery and deceit to procure the title ala some Ted DiBiase thing. “I’m sorry, Hangman... but that was in the contract that you signed!” 

But if it is some panel of objective legends, and they redo a Terry Funk thing with Hangman... just could have set it up better.

If they redo The Funk thing, I really hope they do it with a salmon coat wearing Mark Henry to call back to that awesome segment with Cena. People would flip out and The Hangman would fall for it. 

• Like 3