DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - HOLIDAY BASH - 12/22/2021

• Sting spoke to Sports Illustrated about returning to the Greensboro Coliseum for tonight’s Holiday Bash edition of Dynamite: “This means the world to me. I never thought I’d be back here like this. I thought I was just going to disappear from wrestling, and I didn’t like the thought of that. Then I came to AEW, and originally, we were just going to explore cinematic matches. And I got in the ring. I can still hear Cody [Rhodes] telling me about my kinetic energy and that I could wrestle a match. I was like, ‘Ease up now, Cody.’ Then I heard Darby say, ‘Steve, you can do it.’ This entire stretch, and now coming back to Greensboro, it has all been surreal.”
  • Like 5

I think Undisputed Era 2.0 vs. Bucks/Kenny is the correct route. Cole pushing the Bucks aside because of their silliness (and weakness losing to Jurassic Express) and replacing them with guys he can trust makes perfect sense. Kyle can easily do a "time heals most wounds" promo and put over Bobby Fish as the guy who got the band back together. The pop when Kenny comes back to save the Bucks, Cutler, and Nakazawa from a massive beating will blow the roof off.

Malakai killing the Varsity Blonds was fun.

Whoever decided to give FTR that super 80s theme is brilliant. I love Cult of Personality and Ruby Soho, but something about a good in-house theme just hits right.

Darby's bowling ball dive was a thing of beauty, and I love seeing Sting getting to go out on his own terms. I like how he went from doing taped cinematic matches, to live 20-minute tags over the last couple of years.

• Like 3

Word was Omega was set for multiple surgeries, with some thinking possible double shoulder surgery. Guy's list of ailments was ridiculous and there's little doubt that he wasn't feeding Meltzer that info directly. February seems like a stupid fast turnaround and I'd rather he heal up than come back too soon, but that was the estimate Meltzer threw out there in November. They'd probably have a rough timeline of his return and while it does seem like it's being set-up for his return I dunno.

Those Sting quotes warm my heart. I remember his HOF speech ending with him hinting at more and then just disappearing. This has been a storybook run so far. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

On 12/22/2021 at 4:30 PM, AxB said:

Rampage is airing Christmas night. And Cody has a TNT title shot. Perhaps we all get a new champ for Christmas? Or a heel turn?

By Sammy, obvs.

Nope, neither.  They have to do the Men of the Year interfere in the Sammy/Cody match.  That then leads to Sammy/Cody vs Men of the Year.  Then maybe a heel turn

I imagine the opening segment is most often the highest viewed, right? If they're back to the west coast delay on tbs I guess we should see the show doing a million more often again. Rampage spoiler:

Spoiler

Cody learned well from Triple H. Just as ratings about to go on the rise, he wins his title back. Can't fucking wait for Christmas and his title run lol. Sammy was doing well but there was little intrigue. I'd love to hear the thought process behind the switch. 

My cat puked and woke me up so here's a random thought baked on 5 hours of sleep: catching up on Rampage from last week and it occurred to me that when Team Taz inevitably has to go babyface because of HOOK and if you wanted to keep Starks heel, he'd work well with Scorpio and Ethan Page. Sharp dressed men by ZZ Top would have to be their theme. Been too long since somebody used that as a wrestling theme. They probably shouldn't do the Team No Respect shuffle even though it is awesome. Starks is so cool that he'd be a great babyface though. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

The Owen tribute video and the organisation of the two tournaments tells me all I need to know about Tony Khan. Pure and utter class. 

I’ve never wished a wrestler that’s passed was around so they could work a particular opponent/match/in a company but fuck me Owen would be top of the pile in AEW. 

Also Bryan Danielson is the best in the god damn world.

• Like 2

Finally caught up this morning.  

I think I was bitching a few weeks back about how unconnected The Pinnacle is presented.  But getting matching gear for a Trios main event sure does make up some ground.  Plus the match fucking ruled.

For as much Battle of the Belts is being hyped as a Clash of Champions template.  This show sure felt like a Clash to me.  Big opener, featuring a plot twist at the end, opening more questions remaining to be answered. Bricks laid for upcoming championship matches.  A worthy main event that spent on some time but not all it’s credit.  Not one promo overstayed it’s welcome. Ass Pounding Chefs kiss!

I’m concerned about the Christian/JE status as I fear that an act I DO really like (the entrance music is grating on me, bring back the original) is being swallowed up by the enormity of everything surrounding it.  It makes me think a Christian heel turn might fall flat and JB doesn’t get elevated out of it.  A couple of excellent matches might change my mind on how borderline that fear is.  

But when Bryan Danielson is in town eating the roster buffet… it’s going to be harder to stand out.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
Proofreading after posting
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s Taz… He likes to fuck around like that. He does that on Dark too.

Yeah, I watch Botchamania, I see that shit all the time but this was a little mean-spirited.

EDIT: Oh and btw his bit about Rick Knox with Ex on Dark was hilarious. Four steaks?! Who does he think he is, Big Show?

Edited by Curt McGirt

If you watch full Dark’s Him, and Eddie take big digs at their partners. Most of the time it’s actually Ex taking the biggest digs at everyone. 

Actually one thing I know about Taz is he loves to be the butt of jokes. Kind of like how Heenan would set himself up to be the idiot for a moment.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I can't believe a couple years ago Sting had us all worried one more bump would cripple him and here he is at 62 doing top rope dives to the floor.

Sting to the agent: “so this is trios, which means 3 guys...can you go ask Max and FTR how they would feel catching me from the top rope to the floor?”

FTR: “Oh absolutely hell yes”

• Like 4

If Janela is not potentially sticking around, and Strong most likely not coming. Why not stick Kayla Rossi in this version of the Undisputed Era? They really don’t need another 4th male member to eat pins anyway, and Rossi needs more experience in front of the camera. Yes, I know it’s a potential  Chyna comparison, but that trope hasn’t been explored in such a long time.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If Janela is not potentially sticking around, and Strong most likely not coming. Why not stick Kayla Rossi in this version of the Undisputed Era? They really don’t need another 4th male member to eat pins anyway, and Rossi needs more experience in front of the camera. Yes, I know it’s a potential  Chyna comparison, but that trope hasn’t been explored in such a long time.

Or if they’re potentially turning Hirsch, and maybe looking at Shafir, how about making her the heater/Sid for Deeb and the two of them. 

I'd really like factions to be more integrated. They've dipped their toes into it but if you're a true team that wants all the gold, don't you want some women involved to grab the belts from their division? Have Cole/Fish/O'Reilly break off and get Baker and Shafir in there, why the hell not?

21 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'd really like factions to be more integrated. They've dipped their toes into it but if you're a true team that wants all the gold, don't you want some women involved to grab the belts from their division? Have Cole/Fish/O'Reilly break off and get Baker and Shafir in there, why the hell not?

Well... I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There are probably reasons why one might have certain misgivings about Sarah Logan but she'd fit in really well with Bear Country if she's ready to wrestle again.

Oh, man... if that led to Erik Viking Experience eventually coming over and forming a trios team with Boulder and Bronson and a long reign with the AEW Trios titles for The Three Bears, I would definitely become an AEW fan (I'd also accept Tucky as the Third Bear).

• Like 2