DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - HOLIDAY BASH - 12/22/2021

8 hours ago, matwarz said:

Think TK feels it’s time to re-do the wrestle war 89 crazy funkin’ judge angle again? ?

One guy who isn’t in AEW and was off the scene for a little bit pre-release is a guy known by a name owned by the WWE (Bray Wyatt). But they’re probably not debuting Bray in a way where he congratulates Adam Page on a victory, only to attack him.

now if Jason Hervey is one of the judges.

35 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I also like how the Elite as a group helped Adam Cole showcase a more entertaining (see hilarious without being a goof) asshole character from his previous and humorless NXT version.  I only saw a handful of the Undisputed Era NXT segments, but they were far too cliched 'INTENSE' for my liking. 

We were watching different shows.  Undisputed Era always had a level of goofiness, especially in their interviews.  They're also sadistic assholes who enjoy inflicting pain on people.  It's part of why I don't think Adam Cole fits with the Elite.  Those guys are goofs who happen to be good at wrestling.  The goofiness is the guiding principle of their act.  Undisputed Era are sadistic dicks, who happen to be goofy.  Being sadistic dicks takes precedent over everything else.  They'll do a bunch of goofy shit in interviews and backstage segments, but when it is time to get down to business they're trying to hurt you and hurt you bad.

This was a great episode.  I really liked the Page/Danielson segment, both of those guys are on top of their game right now and I want to watch everything they do.  

Orange Cassidy is proof that you can get almost anything over if you have the right combination of worker and commitment.  There is no reason that character should work at this level other than the fact that he's 100% committed to the character and his commitment makes it feel real, so you believe it.  The UE/Elite story has been foreshadowed over and over again, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Ruby Soho vs. Nyla Rose is my favorite Soho match since she came to AEW.  She isn't my favorite worker, but I recognize how important she is to the credibility of the division.  Like it or not, her experience with WWE is super valuable.  She knows how to carry herself, she knows how to work with a wide variety of different workers, and she's done it at the highest possible level.  I don't know if she is going to win this tournament, but she'd be a great first TBS champion.  Almost everyone on the roster will be better after working with her.

Griff and Pillman Jr. are great punching bags.  I don't know if they're great at anything else yet, but they take one hell of a beating.

Honestly, I know that the Lucha Bros. have put in the work and deserve their run, but every tag team on the planet is playing catch up with FTR.  They are the best in the world by far, and the main event wouldn't have worked at all without them.  They were on a team with a guy who ran away the entire time, and worked against a 62 year old and they held everything together.  

MJF is once again the best heel in the business.  He ran away like a scalded dog the entire match, took one big move and almost died, and then got on the mic and accused CM Punk of running away from him.  There is never a second where he's on your television where he's not behaving like a complete and total unlikeable asshole.

• Like 5

As far as the judges go, wouldn't it be grand if all three of them were people who could feasibly do the Flair Funk angle? So we aren't so much questioning if they're doing it, but who they're doing it with?

nb: If we're doing predictions, I'm betting on one of the judges being Chris Jericho.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

As far as the judges go, wouldn't it be grand if all three of them were people who could feasibly do the Flair Funk angle? So we aren't so much questioning if they're doing it, but who they're doing it with?

In that event, you bring out 3 judges who could do that angle, and none of them do it and it's a 4th guy who wasn't a judge. Which might be overthinking it. Maybe there'll be some famous people introduced in the crowd like it's a boxing match. You'd have to keep it quiet enough so that Ric Flair doesn't try showing up in the crowd.

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was thinking Mox could comeback, and turn heel. He was always heading in that direction, and he’s a massive Funk mark.

I have kind of thought Mox would first come back to fight Punk for (in the spirit of the heel always believing he's right) using Mox's personal situation to get cheap heat. Those two just feel right soaked in red in bunkhouse match with kneepads over the jeans and Merle Haggard shirts.

• Like 7

When the Jim Ross Returns graphic went up and got a big pop, Taz suddenly became much grumpier. Which makes sense, seeing as how the commentary on the shows has been so much better (without JR) recently. But that pop was just telling Taz, that even though he does Ross' job better than Ross does, it's still Ross' job. Shame.

That being said, Fuck Cancer.

• Like 4

The OC vs Cole match had way to much getting your shit in for my tastes exactly what I haven't liked from Cole in the past

It seemed like Nyla and Ruby weren't on the same page, I wonder if Jady vs Ruby ends up being the final with Ruby going in injured.

Love MJF continuous heel act, in an era where seemingly everyone else is focused on MOVEZ

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Just a small nitpick about the angle. It feels like Bryan gets to handpick the judges. If that is the case, I am actually all in favor of The Dragon stacking the deck through bribery and deceit to procure the title ala some Ted DiBiase thing. “I’m sorry, Hangman... but that was in the contract that you signed!” 

I want this type of scenario - 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think Ruby either got legit hurt, or she’s the best seller in years.

I think either she got legit hurt or thought so because that reaction was too realistic. As was the MJF death bump, holy shit. Lots of people getting killed on that show for something so happy and spectacular. 

My group for the judges: Shaq, Tyson, Terry Funk. They got to have Terry, right? And then have somebody come out in Terry's place for the real fight, like, say... 

I caught the second half of this show on an airplane (how crazy is the future) and let me tell you how hard it was not to mark out loudly during that main event.

Nyla vs Ruby was a great match, possibly the best I’ve seen Ruby look (outside of the jacket spot...). Nyla sells very well, wrestles big but not invincible. The build to the finish had some mark out moments and that second rope No Future out of the blue was a shocker.

How ironic that Griff Garrison nearly killed himself for our pleasure and the most evil man in pro wrestling was the one who made sure to catch him. Surprisingly decent match.

That main event had everything. MJF and FTR enter with matching gear. Sting enters to a massive pop and the CM Punk shirt and makeup, Darby wearing something looking like he got hit with the black mist...and then CM Punk with the classic Sting face paint and pants, and then the crouch and howl. I’m an even bigger CM Punk fan for that, if he had actually done a Stinger Splash I probably would have yelled out loud.

And then the match itself, like entering a time machine to the days of Georgia Championship Wrestling. MJF being the perfect chickenshit. Sting acting like he’s 25 years old. Darby recklessly throwing himself into things and people. Sting almost killing MJF, and then him managing to get back up to help catch a fucking top rope to the floor splash from a 60 year old man like he’s some aging luchador (I couldn’t think of a good name to drop). FTR continuing to be the reincarnation of the Midnight Express. Everyone looked great, everyone kept or built their heat, and the fans went home happy.

I want to see Punk vs. Wheeler, and then Punk vs. Harwood. Shit, I want to see Sting vs. each member of FTR.

Edited by JLowe
Typos
  • Like 12