DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - HOLIDAY BASH - 12/22/2021

It's the season for giving (and receiving)!

We ALREADY got TWO Bear Country matches this week, one on Dark Elevation (vs Chaos Project!!) and one on Regular Dark. Plus Emi Sakura, Thunder Rosa, and Andrade vs Kaun on Elevation, and Abadon. Kingston, and La Rosa Negra on Dark, plus 10 vs Leroy Patterson, which is kind of a must-see...

And now we're getting the Holiday Bash

SIX-MAN GRUDGE MATCH...

CM Punk, Darby Allin, and Sting vs. Cash Wheeler, Dax Harwood, and 3-time Dynamite Diamond Ring Winner Maxwell Jacob Friedman

TBS WOMEN'S TITLE TOURNAMENT SEMI-FINAL...

“The Native Beast” Nyla Rose vs. “Destination unknown! Ruby, Ruby, Ruby” Ruby Soho

(winner faces the winner of Thunder vs Jade in the tournament finals)

ONE-ON-ONE...

A Bay Bay vs an Orange... which, frankly, that could go either way.

VENGEANCE

Malakai Black vs. Griff Garrison

I'm legitimately curious about where (if anywhere) they are going with Julia Hart here, and I wonder if we will get to see who exactly is "so much more than a king now."

DR. BRITT BAKER D.M.D & TONY SCHIAVONE CHRISTMAS PARTY!!

And some news about the OWEN HART CUP

021224_kak_noah_misawa_santa1_b.jpeg

Thank you, Santa!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

It's interesting Orange went from the most organically over act in the company in front of live audiences to Jericho leeching/"putting him over" and then transitioned into a seemingly half year program with Matt Hardy, whose character is a leech but is generally far more giving than Jericho, in which Hardy won with shenanigans and they just kinda moved on even after OC said it wasn't finished (I suppose they could do the AEW thing where they rekindle an old rivalry sometime next year and that would be fine). I really enjoy Hardy's act but that was too long and the wrong guy went over in the end. There were a few weeks where they needed to give Kenny a credible challenger on PPV and the triple threat ruled but it's a little disappointing to see where they've gone with Cassidy. Not sure what his ceiling is but he feels like he hasn't reached it yet, though maybe it's lowered after this, imo, fumbling. 

Doesn't feel like Cole is losing anytime soon and more like he's being saved for Hangmin, so probably another loss with interference for OC. Hope I'm wrong because Cole has been so impressive in AEW so far that I think he could easily be heated back up for a title challenge, though he and the Bucks lost their last program too. I'm interested to see where they go here, tho a bit concerned too. Sure, Orange is and will still be over with a loss here of course but it does feel like they are missing something with him. 

Does anybody think Rose wins? Even if they don't have Jade make the final, Rosa vs. Ruby is a way more intriguing match than Rosa vs. Rose (though it did deliver big time in the tournament earlier this year). 

Malakai vs. Griff feels like it will be angle heavy. They teased a breakup of the Blond(e)s and Brody King joining House of Black. There's also Julia. Pillman is a better heel going off that bit of MLW where he was with Teddy (who is currently not in jail according to the twitter account), but overall has not been able to live up to the hype yet. Griff has gotten far less time to shine but usually does well when given brief time in the spotlight. I hope he does well here. 

Six-man tag is going to be breezy and really fun. Dream team should win. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

It's interesting Orange went from the most organically over act in the company in front of live audiences to Jericho leeching/"putting him over" and then transitioned into a seemingly half year program with Matt Hardy, whose character is a leech but is generally far more giving than Jericho, in which Hardy won with shenanigans and they just kinda moved on even after OC said it wasn't finished (I suppose they could do the AEW thing where they rekindle an old rivalry sometime next year and that would be fine). I really enjoy Hardy's act but that was too long and the wrong guy went over in the end. There were a few weeks where they needed to give Kenny a credible challenger on PPV and the triple threat ruled but it's a little disappointing to see where they've gone with Cassidy. Not sure what his ceiling is but he feels like he hasn't reached it yet, though maybe it's lowered after this, imo, fumbling. 

Doesn't feel like Cole is losing anytime soon and more like he's being saved for Hangmin, so probably another loss with interference for OC. Hope I'm wrong because Cole has been so impressive in AEW so far that I think he could easily be heated back up for a title challenge, though he and the Bucks lost their last program too. I'm interested to see where they go here, tho a bit concerned too. Sure, Orange is and will still be over with a loss here of course but it does feel like they are missing something with him. 

Does anybody think Rose wins? Even if they don't have Jade make the final, Rosa vs. Ruby is a way more intriguing match than Rosa vs. Rose (though it did deliver big time in the tournament earlier this year). 

Malakai vs. Griff feels like it will be angle heavy. They teased a breakup of the Blond(e)s and Brody King joining House of Black. There's also Julia. Pillman is a better heel going off that bit of MLW where he was with Teddy (who is currently not in jail according to the twitter account), but overall has not been able to live up to the hype yet. Griff has gotten far less time to shine but usually does well when given brief time in the spotlight. I hope he does well here. 

Six-man tag is going to be breezy and really fun. Dream team should win. 

OC's ceiling is a curious thought.  Part and parcel with the character i don't see losses hurting him too much.  The HFO feud was indeed a bit overlong.  I find it interesting how often they use Orange.  I always love seeing him and find little fault in his booking, but I do sometimes think he'd be more effect with less exposure.  That said, he's proven to be able to keep his act fresh.  And I suspect we'll see him dip his feet back in the Main Event at some point.  He seems like a character that could quite easily be re-heated whenever necessary. 

I like the Blondes as a low card babyface team, but they don't seem to be progressing passed the potential they were showing early.  It was very nice to see Pillman get some time to shine solo after how well he came across on DSOTR, but thus far he's been such a lame-duck-babyface.  From the little I saw of his MLW work, I completely agree that he was a stronger or at least more interesting heel.  Assuming Brody King debuts here, I imagine we'll at least see the Blondes working some tags with Malakai-King, and I'm game to see what would happen there. 

Most excited for FTR and the six man this eve.  And hoping from the fallout for a Briscoes debut.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Rampage is airing Christmas night. And Cody has a TNT title shot. Perhaps we all get a new champ for Christmas? Or a heel turn?

By Sammy, obvs.

4 hours ago, alstein said:

I wish I was attending, but Omicron scared me too much.

I had tickets for my son and I to an Indy show last Friday but changed my mind the day of the show. I’m gonna wait until this wave starts dying down again. Wish you could have made it. 

• Like 1

Fucking AWESOME main event. Marked out for all of the facepaint, especially Punk rocking the original Sting look with the 88 style tights/boots combo. Only disappointment was no Tully involvement for this. Sting getting a MASSIVE pop for his first tag in and then doing an incredible amount throughout the match including the big top rope dive at the end. Amazing bump on the toss of MJF over the top. Brilliant handling of MJF/Punk still managing to keep them apart, the chase scene through the crowd was a blast. So much goodness. They really went all out giving this one 25 mins. Damn near perfect pro wres.

Great win for Ruby, rooting for her in the final. Cole/Orange was pretty good stuff. Cole never finishes with the Panama Sunrise but is always shocked when they kick out from it. Crazy how much time was spent on the Undisputed Era in nxt and now they are all together here. As usual I love how they keep announcing more and more stuff to look forward to with all the upcoming events.

• Like 6

Loved the attention to detail in the presentation of the main event: Sting wearing special CM Punk facepaint, Punk with the 80s Sting look, #MJFTR with matching yellow and black gear...

A few crazy/dangerous looking bumps and dives in that match!

Friedman's chickenshitting was glorious. Kept him and Punk apart like they were Jumbo and Tenryu in a 6-man.

Hard to pick which was the biggest contrast in styles: Always Angry Adam vs Easy-going Orange, or Peppy High School Athlete vs Literal Incarnation of Pure Evil.

I really hope I can see AEW live some day and sing along with Malakai's entrance music. GARBFLASSZT! NOKCHTARRRNM!!

Hard to pick the single funniest heel line of the night:

- Bryan's "I hurt my leg a little bit"

- "Cody is a bigger dick than I am"

- Rebel just mugging in the background and pounding wine

- "You'll shoot your eye out"

- The crowd sarcastically cheering when Nyla nd Ruby finally got the jacket off.

Ruby vs Thunder Rosa could be excellent, if they decide to go that way.

When is a Fish not a fish? 

Spoiler

when he's a reDRagon

The possibility of reDRagon vs Young Bucks down the road, too.

WARDLOW ANGRY! WARDLOW SMASH!!

Edited by Gordlow
I misspelled "and"
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

Crazy how much time was spent on the Undisputed Era in nxt and now they are all together here.

Not to derail a thread about a great show, but when KOR debuted one of my initial thoughts was how - for all his insanity - Vince McMahon is 100% in the right to change these guys's names and own the IP on his programming. Here he is now with all this equity that WWE put into these guys, all debuting on the other channel using the same names and same mannerisms. I totally get it.

So many awesome matchups for KOR in AEW. Can't wait.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

How is MJF not dead?

On the flipside, Malakai really put some work in not letting Garrison kill himself when he overshot on that tope.  That's some good basing.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Fuck the transphobe holding the transphobic sign up when Nyla Rose entered the ring. I hate all discrimination.

In the back of my mind when they go to states like Texas or North Carolina I would worry about something like this happening.  To my pleasant surprise it hasn't happened until tonight though I didn't recall seeing him much longer after that match.  Hopefully they banned his dumb ass for good.

• Like 3

I want KOR to be a midcard kickpad stooge. He is such a natural, talented midcard kickpad stooge.

Opener and main felt like they had a ton of time. Wondering if AEW if seeing if long matches = ratings after last week's quarter-hours.

Ruby's taking well to the responsibility of having frequent-ish meaningful TV matches. That's the best her finish has ever looked.

Griff Garrison is the A Side of his unit by a healthy margin. I always get this weird feeling that Vince would love him.

If you ever doubt the value of FTR, may their chemistry with Sting be Exhibit A as to why you're hell of wrong. Darby's got the best (non-Mexican) tope on Earth.

We're seeing more kids in the crowd. More bigotted shitbags too. That's when you know you've really made it!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

In the back of my mind when they go to states like Texas or North Carolina I would worry about something like this happening.  To my pleasant surprise it hasn't happened until tonight though I didn't recall seeing him much longer after that match.  Hopefully they banned his dumb ass for good.

I think he was kicked out and I also hope he's banned for good.

• Like 1