DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021-22: PERIOD 2

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Such a frustrating game. Oilers were absolutely the better team in the first 30 minutes. That third period was a complete disaster though.

It's genuinely insane no serious changes have been made in the last month. 

Trust the Hall of Famer running the front office! 

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:27 PM, sabremike said:

Seeing Shannon Hogan announcing it in the post game and fighting like hell to not just completely break down on air was just awful and painful to watch. 

Dave Shultz said in his biography he knew he was in trouble when he punched Gillies and he smiled back at him. Jethro was the rare enforcer that didn't have to drop the gloves that often. He just wasn't messed with. 

• Like 1

Here’s a recap of today’s Flyers press conference after breaking its franchise losing streak record.

Boils down to “our front office guys are our guys, we got a good core (lol), we can turn this around (LMFAO).”

When Giroux drops his no-trade, I’m going wherever he goes, even if it’s a team like the goddamn Penguins. Fuck this franchise.

17 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

In other news, Aaron Dell is a bitch.

I hope he gets a long suspension. It'll be his first but he's got a long history of this exact dirty play, just without the horrible outcome. 

And, as a reminder of how good NHL officiating is, there was no penalty called, despite it being incredibly obvious. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 12:31 PM, Tabe said:

I hope he gets a long suspension. It'll be his first but he's got a long history of this exact dirty play, just without the horrible outcome. 

And, as a reminder of how good NHL officiating is, there was no penalty called, despite it being incredibly obvious. 

Aaron Dell got 3 games, FWIW.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, Tabe said:

Aaron Dell got 3 games, FWIW.

And then Buffalo cut him, which may end his NHL career.  He'll have to get signed and then serve the suspension before he can actually play in the NHL again.

• Like 1

Fun fact from last night's Red Wings vs Ducks game:

Last night was the first time since the 1984/85 season that the #1 rookie scorer and #1 rookie scoring defenseman had faced the #2 rookie scorer and #2 rookie defenseman in a game.  In 84/85, it was Mario Lemieux and the immortal Warren Young (who scored 40 goals as a rookie playing with Mario and then did nothing else) against Chris Chelios and... somebody else.  Last night, it was Lucas Raymond and Moritz Seider against I didn't care enough to pay attention.

Looking at hockey-reference and I'm guessing Tom Kurvers. He had 45 points that year and finished 11th in Calder voting. Montreal had four guys get Calder votes that year. Chelios finished 2nd, Steve Penney 3rd, Mike McPhee 10th, and Kurvers. Of course Penney would lose his job to some guy come the next season's playoffs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tabe said:

In 84/85, it was Mario Lemieux and the immortal Warren Young (who scored 40 goals as a rookie playing with Mario and then did nothing else) against Chris Chelios and... somebody else.

Warren Young... that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Saw him play for the Nashville South Stars in the early 80s.

Was decent from what I remember.

I notice that @Dolfan in NYC hasn't mention last night's Panthers/Rangers game yet

(BTW - Gerard Gallant got his 300th career victory making him the 51st coach in NHL history to hit that mark and 11th current coach so maybe the NHL should stop hyping that number)

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Warren Young... that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Saw him play for the Nashville South Stars in the early 80s.

Was decent from what I remember.

In the NHL, he finished with 72 career goals spread across 7 different seasons, with 40 of them coming the one year when he played with Mario.  

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ovechkin out of the ASG due to Covid. 

He hasn't played in the game since 2018.

The irony now being he would have missed the Olympics anyway

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears the Ducks are going with Pat Verbeek as GM

Realizing that Verbeek has been retired 20 years made every one of my bones creak

They were talking up Verbeek quite a bit during the Wings game last night.  He's been in the front office with Steve Yzerman in both Tampa and Detroit, besides being a teammate of Yzerman's for two years.  He's apparently very highly thought-of in hockey circles.  

Also, his "Little Ball of Hate" nickname is an all-time classic.

Edited by Tabe