DVDVR Message Board

Pen and Paper Role Playing Games (Warning: May contain Dungeons and/or Dragons)

SirFozzie

The good news is that they've made comments that make it look like they're willing to take their collective genitalia out of the hornet's nest they kicked up. Some of the more suspicious folks don't like the fact they haven't flat out side 1.0a is to stay going forward.

Using my somewhat painful to imagine imagery, let's see if they actually succeed in getting their dicks out of the hornets nest, or if they feel like pushing it in further is worth the pain.

I think they are very much under the impression that as soon as the movie comes out, suddenly there will be a huge influx of new players, who they hope to gaslight into thinking the game has always run by videogame economics.

So, in OSR-adjacent, I love the games from Sine Nomine Publishing (mostly the "Without Number" series of games, Stars Without Number (Sci-Fi, Mass Effect-like etcetera), and Worlds Without Number (Fantasy), Godbound (Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy), and Wolves of God (8th Century English (Post-Roman) Fantasy). They recently kickstarted their latest game, Cities Without Number (Cyberpunk)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sinenomineinc/cities-without-number

The "Without Number" series rules are OSR (old school D&D) adjacent, but very much new-school in feel, and have some of the best sandbox world building tools I've EVER come across. I've backed the kickstarter (for $80, for PDF plus offset print book), and the beta is available to backers.

The guy is really cool about getting people interested, even going so far as to make it clear that you can share it freely (when the full game releases (which is currently posted as Feb 2024, but he builds lots of empty space into the timeline to make sure he hits the release time frame, and usually releases before hand), he releases the games in free and deluxe versions.

If folks want to look at the beta, let me know (Again, he specifically says " You are welcome to share this folder link around anywhere it would be polite to do so, whether to potential players or interested forums.")

But if you want to see his other games (again, free) to see how they feel, check them out:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/230009/Stars-Without-Number-Revised-Edition-Free-Version?cPath=36869 (SWN)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/348809/Worlds-Without-Number-Free-Edition?cPath=5875 (WWN)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185959/Godbound-A-Game-of-Divine-Heroes-Free-Edition?cPath=5875 (godbound)

Considering the bad taste in RPG gamers mouths from the OGL debacle, figure to give folks a heads up.

I'll probably make it my Shadowrun replacement (they're already working on Fantasy Races and Magic for Cities Without number, so to make it shadowrun)

• 4 weeks later...

I used to play a lot of Blood Bowl around 20 years ago or so. I don't think any of us were good at it, certainly not good enough to join a league at the local game store, but we had fun.

I don't think I remember any rules from it today.

If you want to play BB online, but don't want to deal with shitty AI, look at the FUMBBL client.

I've played BB for something like 25 years on and off (a couple local games, then IRC, then the OLBBL client, then FUMBBL/BB). I still love the game, which is why BB3's bungled release hurts so much.

22 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

If you want to play BB online, but don't want to deal with shitty AI, look at the FUMBBL client.

I've played BB for something like 25 years on and off (a couple local games, then IRC, then the OLBBL client, then FUMBBL/BB). I still love the game, which is why BB3's bungled release hurts so much.

They've already backed down from their aggresive customization monetization policy and honestly, I'm having fun with the game. As server stability improves it's going to be fine.

• 1 month later...

Could go in the tv/movies forum, but the D&D movie was really fun. And while Hugh Grant chews a LOT of scenery in this movie, he's still only taking second place behind Raul Julia as M Bison in SCPMOS (Scenery Chewed per Minute On Screen)

• Like 1

If anyone playing 5e is a little worried about the direction WoTC is heading, then Kobold Press is coming with their own version of 5e.

It's kinda like when Paizo made Pathfinder to keep D&D 3.5e alive.

Kobold Press makes some of the best 5e supplements, and I think over time my 5e players and I will transition over to this. Not that there's any rush. There's so much 5e material that one could play it for years, even if nothing new came out tomorrow.

Tales of the Valiant: https://talesofthevaliant.com/

• Like 2

So here's a question for everybody: what would you consider the state of the art in superhero RPGs?

I've been wanting to run a superhero one-shot, and I love Champions, but as I recall Hero System combat takes forever. (Character creation also takes forever, but it's fun, so I'm happy to make up six or eight pre-gen characters for my players to choose from.) Did 6th edition improve that at all? I haven't really looked at it.

15 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So here's a question for everybody: what would you consider the state of the art in superhero RPGs?

I've been wanting to run a superhero one-shot, and I love Champions, but as I recall Hero System combat takes forever. (Character creation also takes forever, but it's fun, so I'm happy to make up six or eight pre-gen characters for my players to choose from.) Did 6th edition improve that at all? I haven't really looked at it.

TBH, the superhero RPG scene seems dead.  I'm shocked that the current Golden Age of superhero movies hasn't sparked a renaissance in superhero RPGs.

I ran a successful WoTC's Marvel Super Heroes campaign when I was in college.  The rules were pretty simple to grasp and most of my friends were Marvel nerds anyway.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I ran a successful WoTC's Marvel Super Heroes campaign when I was in college.  The rules were pretty simple to grasp and most of my friends were Marvel nerds anyway.

I didn't know there was a WotC Marvel game, and I couldn't find anything about it by Googling. Are you talking about the old TSR game? I probably still have that, but it's more likely in a box somewhere at my parents' place than anywhere accessible.

I did some searching and there are a few superhero RPGs that have come out in the last decade or so. Masks: the New Generation, Icons, and Absolute Power all look interesting. Anybody have any experience with any of those?

https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/bundle/dungeons-and-dragons-honor-among-thieves

If you wanted some free unlocks on your D&D Beyond account. Someone in my game tonight was using the digital dice set, rolled a Nat 20 and freaked out when the dice polymorphed into a Dragon on his screen and he wasn't expecting it.

36 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I didn't know there was a WotC Marvel game, and I couldn't find anything about it by Googling. Are you talking about the old TSR game? I probably still have that, but it's more likely in a box somewhere at my parents' place than anywhere accessible.

I did some searching and there are a few superhero RPGs that have come out in the last decade or so. Masks: the New Generation, Icons, and Absolute Power all look interesting. Anybody have any experience with any of those?

There is a new Marvel RPG coming. https://www.marvel.com/rpg .

For Season 3 of our actual play podcast we wanted to do a superhero game, and I honestly was pretty underwhelmed by the options. I was specifically looking for something that wasn't crunchy and allowed us to move quickly from moment to moment. That's not because I don't like crunch, but because I try to avoid it for the show.

We decided on ICONS, which is somewhat similar to the FATE system, and has a really fun create a character system. The powers are easily skin--able, and ther is a lot of content out there to play with. So if you just want to get your asses in some spandex and go, this one is pretty quick, with not much math.

If you want a little more meat to the system you can also check out Savage Worlds, which has a Super Hero variant: https://peginc.com/campaign/spc_swade/
The plus side of learning that is you can transition to a variety of other settings that use the Savage Worlds Engine.

EDIT
I should also point out that we really struggled with the writing of the ICONS book. It's simple enough, but uses some terms interchangeably in a way that left us confused in certain spots.

TSR's MSH is great.

If you want more 5E like stuff, but not WotC's 5e, look at Advanced 5th Edition, Level Up! by EN publishing, (enworld.org)

I'm liking Imperium Maledictum, (Cubicle 7), which is basically Dark Heresy 3rd edition.

Honestly, I'm getting the urge to run a game, now if I can just find players (in person or online)

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I didn't know there was a WotC Marvel game, and I couldn't find anything about it by Googling. Are you talking about the old TSR game? I probably still have that, but it's more likely in a box somewhere at my parents' place than anywhere accessible.?

Yeah, I was talking about the TSR game.  I am old and forgetful so I use TSR and WoTC almost interchangeably and totally in error.

I am particularly fond of the Avengers:  Coast to Coast game supplement.   The AEF (Avengers Experimental Franchise) adventure line was a good way for players to create their own characters and incorporate them into the game world as an established team rather than just having the players run a group of established Marvel superheroes.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

We used the Marvel RPG as a starting point when we played in grad school.(that’s when I created Earth-Nixon before pitching it to DC).

as a teen, we also played Champions (along with Top Secret and the 007 rpgs). 

I played lots of Top Secret / SI in college.  We also had a brief Gamma World campaign and dabbled in Star Frontiers once or twice.  I think we played everything except for D&D.

Edited by J.T.

• 4 weeks later...