DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I liked the Malakai Black promo and what I assume was a Brody King tease. It will be interesting to see if he just has a second/protector of if he’s starting a full blown stable.

Im assuming that Brody/whoever Malakai annointed and Julia will be revealed as members of The House of Black next week.

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Did anybody else catch Bryan Danielson doing the Jumping Jacks while selling the injured leg? That's selling and keeping in character as Dickhead Danielson who still wanted to do them even with the bad leg. The GOAT.

Yeah I saw that and immediately thought of how great that was. I also was thinking of how Danielson is so creative with his violence. He worked the arm/shoulder, the midsection, the head, whatever was open. He’s just the best all-around. Just a tremendous match, and if you’re going to go for a Broadway draw, having the champ finally nail his finisher and run out of time for the pin works for me.

Wardlow has to do something soon.

Great women’s match, had a lot of hate and they work so well together.

Better mic work this week from MJF, and a really good match. He gave Dante quite the rub in that, and made Dante’s strikes look the most convincing I’ve seen. Also, shout out to the announce team for twice covering for Dante’s botches, one of which caught Max square in the jaw. Still, Dante is just relentless and I liked that a lot in this match, he knew he had to just keep coming and take advantage of every opportunity.

• Like 3

That match reminded me of Flair/Steamboat 89.  When  Mox comes back, they should do Flair/Funk I Quit 89 with Hangman.  That was a great fucking match tonight.  I also enjoyed Hikaru Shida/Serena Deeb.  Watching that match, I realized that when  I first got into Deeb, she was wrestling in bars in Canada and I was amazed at how good her punches looked,  I love that she is the best woman wrestler in North America and she doesn't even use the best punches in women's wrestling.  MJF was a fucking heat machine.  MJF+Texas=SOLID GOLD.  HOORAY, AEW!

• Like 14

Wow. Just...wow. What a fucking awesome Dynamite. We got that opener, an instant classic, and to bookend the show CM Punk comes out with that dope as fuck tshirt IN TEXAS. 

I'm sure most of those fans, especially the idiot in the let's go Brandon shirt were probably wondering what Punk's shirt meant. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Wow. Just...wow. What a fucking awesome Dynamite. We got that opener, an instant classic, and to bookend the show CM Punk comes out with that dope as fuck tshirt IN TEXAS. 

I'm sure most of those fans, especially the idiot in the let's go Brandon shirt were probably wondering what Punk's shirt meant. 

Weirdest thing is that guy was next to, and seemingly good friends with, a guy in a Skatune Network shirt (for those unfamiliar, Skatune Network is an openly gay black nerd with non-binary pronouns who does ska covers of anime and video game songs).

• Like 2

You know what's not over? That CONNECTING PEOPLE THROUGH WRESTLING~! picture frame that's somehow been held up on WWE and AEW TV about 812 times over the past 6 months. I promise, you guys, if I ever share a building with that thing you'll never see it on TV again. 

iron-sheik-spit.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Did anybody else catch Bryan Danielson doing the Jumping Jacks while selling the injured leg? That's selling and keeping in character as Dickhead Danielson who still wanted to do them even with the bad leg. The GOAT.

45 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Yeah I saw that and immediately thought of how great that was. I also was thinking of how Danielson is so creative with his violence. He worked the arm/shoulder, the midsection, the head, whatever was open. He’s just the best all-around. Just a tremendous match, and if you’re going to go for a Broadway draw, having the champ finally nail his finisher and run out of time for the pin works for me.

Yeah, the variety of Bryan Danielson's attacks including body punches. Bryan Danielson can do it all, he's the greatest to ever wrestle. I love that man.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Peck said:

You know what's not over? That CONNECTING PEOPLE THROUGH WRESTLING~! picture frame that's somehow been held up on WWE and AEW TV about 812 times over the past 6 months. I promise, you guys, if I ever share a building with that thing you'll never see it on TV again. 

iron-sheik-spit.gif

Thanks in advance.

Edited by The Natural

It was so nice that a title match/main event started with enough TV time left for the time limit. I just hate when such matches are advertised and then start with 13 minutes left in the show. I just feel like I wasted my time and was cheated when that happens. This was a throwback to the days of "we have a standby match if there is TV time remaining".

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Weirdest thing is that guy was next to, and seemingly good friends with, a guy in a Skatune Network shirt (for those unfamiliar, Skatune Network is an openly gay black nerd with non-binary pronouns who does ska covers of anime and video game songs).

The left hates Biden too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My problem with this match, and it's a relatively small one.  They went so hard for so long, you have to wonder if there's ANYTHING that will keep either of them down for a three count. So, for whatever rematch, you better go thirty minutes without a near-fall, because there's no way in hell the audience is going to buy it. (Maybe that should be the hook for the rematch. 30 minute time limit, and both are told to bring their A-game from the start?) We're going to have to get something like a 5 minute lebell lock or four buckshot lariats in a row to keep them down (and finisher spam risks devaluing the finisher)

And they put this on free TV instead of PPV.

Hoooolleeee shit.

• Like 2

Pacing of the title match was tremendous.  I watched it not live but without spoilers, didn't look at the clock once because I didn't want to know how much time had passed and I was totally engrossed in the story they were telling.  I also appreciate AEW not giving calls on the time every 10-15.  They do that in Japan but the audience is accustomed to it, American audiences are not.  I don't think the first near fall was until around the 30 minute mark and the crowd ate it up!  Also, when they repeated spots it meant something, rather than just going to something pat to kill time because they were figuring out what to do next.  Everything made sense and even when things went slightly awry they never lost the pace or the crowd.  Danielson is such a F'n ring general and Page was with him every step of the way.

Can't wait to see them lock up again, and in the NJPW style I suspect it will be a very different match building off the foundations of this one

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Here it be:

Enjoy!

I was actually at this match. Weird trivia is that this was the only time there were NYC bus trips to ROH shows on consecutive nights (Boston & Elizabeth NJ)

• Like 4

Time limit draw between Danielson and Page was the best solution.  No definitive winner, kick the can down the road, and more importantly, let them beat the shit out of each other for an entire hour.  What a great match!  Now each man wonders what they will have to do to kill the other in a future title match, so the violence will certainly be ratcheted up.  The draw also does not jeopardize Danielson's unbeaten streak.  Danielson can still claim that he's never lost and can continue killing his way to another title match.

Shida vs. Deeb III was pretty good.  I wish they had just murdered each other and not relied on a chicanery gimmick for the finish, but at least cheaters did not prosper.

Adam Cole's My Friends Are Better Than The Best Friends promo was pretty good.

Griff Garrison is going it alone against Malachai Black?  I dunno about the wisdom of that.   Griff is going in with anger and threats of breaking someone's jaw, so he's got the right attitude even though he is probably going to die.  This stuff with Julia is about teasing the break-up of the Varsity Blondes with Pillman Jr maybe turning heel?  Let's see what happens.

Diamond Ring match is for television time remaining and you give the mic to MJF.  Now you've got, what, three minutes left?  Anyway, holy fuck does gravity even work on Dante Martin?  I like how the commentators were commending MJF for eluding Dante by going outside the ring when that was the worst possible thing he could do.  God bless MJF for just standing there and being the target for Dante's high spots.   I wasn't crazy about the flash tap-out after Team Taz fuckery, but at least they already established that Dante had a bad wing. 

Adam Page and Bryan Danielson just wrestled a classic that jerked the curtain for a main event featuring Dante Martin and MJF.  What a crazy, wonderful company!

Lights out and FTR is in the ring!  IS IT THE BRISCOES~?? Naw, fuck, it's just Sting and Darby with Punk coming in for the save.  Well, at least we get a decent trios match next week for Greensboro.   Punk getting the Texas crowd to herald his arrival with cheers while wearing a pro-choice shirt is the best thing ever.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

I think this was my favourite exchange from Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. You rarely get 60 minute matches on TV especially ones that didn't have the Iron Man stipulation. Page/Danielson never dragged unlike some long matches.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Not finished the show but that opening match was an instant classic even though you could feel from the pace that it was going long. I would have loved for Page to beat Danielson in those last few seconds because you could hear the crowd starting to groan as soon as "1 minute left" was announced.

Loved Hangman smiling when he was announced as the reigning and defending world champ, he couldn't help himself.

The weakened lariats were great stuff and then Hangman hit the mat a few times out of frustraing and then let out a few scrams of pain. Such good stuff all around, just wish it had a proper finish as the crowd would have exploded at that 3 count at 59:59

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

I know that the draw was planned for a while now but the idea of Ric Flair of telling people that Bryan Danielson is "a good hand" and an "okay wrestler" and then Bryan going 60 minutes without breaking a sweat is tremendous.  Talk about things that didn't age well at all

• Like 6

Bryan’s one legged Jumping Jacks taunt near the end was amazing.

What a joy is to be witnessing this run for Bryan and his entire career in general. The ridiculous amount of amazing in-ring hours that’s available from him might be unmatched.

• Like 5

Page-Danielson is absolutely logical as a draw, i just felt before the match started, they had built up to the conclusion being Page wins and Danielson complains that he was out every week wrestling while Page was taking time to train, and was more prepared than he was.  But that may be too chickenshit heel for what the American Dragon is going for. 

So, I was thinking, is this all leading up to a Three Way Dance between Omega, Danielson, and Page at the next Pay Per View?  No time limit, three men, in the same ring, at the same time, vying for the AEW World Heavyweight title ::joeystylesvoice::

If so, thats a helluva Main Event match right there. 

Next Page opponent should be Miro in between this build up, complete with Miro going full Ultimate Warrior WrestleMania 7 and staring to the heavens asking God without saying a word, how can he beat The Hangman.

Absolutely loved that Adam Cole has fully taken Young Bucks kindness for weakness.  Looking forward to the full Undisputed takeover of the Elite and Cole going full serious heel.

Malakai Black bringing in Brody King is the logical next step to progress House of Black.  I would like to see very few Fully Infected members, and more subtle, not-so-subtle changes in the semi-infected.  Maybe Pac goes full in and takes the Black disease fully and marches with him, while others like Julia Hart, just step away from the jocks and start to wear darker colors and hang out with Bunny and Penelope Ford.  Maybe even Cody Rhodes goes dark hair again ?

Man, when the lights went off when FTR and MJF were in the ring, I thought for sure it would be the Briscoe Brothers to attack FTR.  What a debut that would have been.

Also, hoping MJF and FTR come out to the Pinnacle theme next week.  That song, in a very short time, made my Spotify top listened songs of 2021. 

Ricky Starks is a STAR.  Facial expressions, delivery, all top notch.  May need to see a bit more in the ring from him, but the guys charisma is prime time.

• Like 9

Who likes wrestling?

I like wrestling!

Last night… I got wrestling!

Count me in on being gobsmacked by how deep the tank is for Bryan and Page.

It looks like we are supposed to walk away thinking that Hangman had it won but for a few seconds.  Which is fine.  But I’m going to nitpick the booking a little bit here.  But I’m not a huge fan of Hangman’s FIRST title defense being a draw.  But considering the quality it’s hard to be too upset about it.  Especially since I’m really wondering what’s next. 

The rest of the show was a blur.  But that’s more on me because I’m an emotionally crippled introvert working retail during the Christmas season.  Exhausted!

• Like 4