DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

2 hours ago, alstein said:

Who gets to be Sting/Muta in the undercard then?

Both Sting and Mutoh are still wrestling, so I guess them?

Two things I liked about the match that I hadn't seen mentioned: Page breaking out of the chain wrestling sequences at the beginning to just pound Danielson in the face, and the guy in the front row yelling "Page doesn't even fucking recycle!" to Danielson.

Good on Griff for realizing that Pillman is a whole punk who won't rise to the occasion.  Still gonna get his fuckin' head kicked off, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Good on Griff for realizing that Pillman is a whole punk who won't rise to the occasion.  Still gonna get his fuckin' head kicked off, though.

I feel like this should lead to a Julia Hart heel turn.  When Griff said,  "she's our sister," I thought to myself, there is no way whatsoever a man hanging around a woman who looks like that refers to her as a sister unless it's his actual real life sister. This should turn into her leading him around by his nose while referring to him as bro as we watch his heartbreak over and over like Bart Simpson watched Ralph Wiggum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, supremebve said:

For me an hour long draw only really needs to happen to give a challenge credibility. In this case Danielson has the credibility,  so doing an hour long draw diminishes the champion. The champion only gains credibility from winning. He's the babyface champion, overcoming insurmountable challenges is kind of the point. 

EXACTLY.  Like an unproven Sting going the distance (I think it was 45 minutes, though) with Flair made that guy's whole career.

The 45 minute draw with Sting at the first Clash of Champions is an interesting comparison. That match made Sting. I was not sure what they were going to do here. I knew Page losing was the wrong path. Going full 60 minutes with some good ebbs and flows was not expected, but showcased Page against an established mega star.  It feels like more and more AEW is NPJW were the huge matches are often drawn out (versus WWE which runs the same matches albeit with no finishes over and over). Also, no interference, no chair shots or brass knucks. 60 minutes of mainly in the ring wrestling. The table spot made sense. I give Tony kudos for letting Page go the full 60 minutes; lots of confidence in his new champ.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Dante Martin is going to kill himself with one of his dives,  because he can physically do things that even he's surprised he can do. That springboard shooting star press to the floor was crazy. I love that kid,  and hope to good he stays healthy long enough to hit his prime years with that athleticism. He's a special talent.

Martin is progressing really well.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dean Malenko wasn't mentoring him on setting up his highspots as he is really reminding me of 1996 Rey Misterio.  

• Like 5

I have to say one thing about last night, and this isn't to bring back around our favorite argument - but Tazz was awesome on commentary last night. He added a lot to that title match in my opinion and really, really, REALLY, tried putting over the importance of the AEW World Championship. I actually enjoyed listening to the commentary a lot last night as I think Tazz and Excalibur have excellent chemistry with Schiavone injected when needed.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I have to say one thing about last night, and this isn't to bring back around our favorite argument - but Tazz was awesome on commentary last night. He added a lot to that title match in my opinion and really, really, REALLY, tried putting over the importance of the AEW World Championship. I actually enjoyed listening to the commentary a lot last night as I think Tazz and Excalibur have excellent chemistry with Schiavone injected when needed.

I noticed this too. He's been excellent lately. I think it really hit me during Hook's debut. He put over his own son in a way that made you understand why we should care about this new wrestler and it wasn't because he's Tazz' son. He could have very easily just sat there and said,  "that's my boy," but that's not what he did. He gave us background on his amateur credentials,  his martial arts training,  and how those things are going to make Hook a force for years to come. 

• Like 3

Agree on Taz. He was often quite annoying in Impact, especially when he joined the Aces & Eights - but he definitely got it back in AEW. Of course, this is where having AEW Dark has really been a boon as it has enabled Excalibur and Taz to build a lot of rapport over a hundred+ hours of mostly extended squashes. At this point, I'd really like to see Ross in a reduced role but I suspect that might not happen for a while yet.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I noticed this as well. The commentary really added to the match. Excalibur playing the role of lead traffic cop - he is really growing into that role. Taz was on point. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

My question/quibble is: after the series which culminated in Bryan crushing Page's shoulders and head into the ringpost, and Page's subsequent blade job, how was there not a count-out? Bryan was in the ring for at least 30 seconds while Page was off-screen cutting, and then they spent an entire commercial break with doctors and refs attending to Page, including giving him water. That was almost 5 full minutes with Page outside the ring and Bryan inside of it.

I read that like the docs had called a 'medical timeout' type deal to try and stop the bleeding.

It gave us AmDrag doing one leg jumping jacks to taunt the crowd though so the spot gets the full 7 stars from me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Page-Danielson is absolutely logical as a draw, i just felt before the match started, they had built up to the conclusion being Page wins and Danielson complains that he was out every week wrestling while Page was taking time to train, and was more prepared than he was.  But that may be too chickenshit heel for what the American Dragon is going for. 

So, I was thinking, is this all leading up to a Three Way Dance between Omega, Danielson, and Page at the next Pay Per View?  No time limit, three men, in the same ring, at the same time, vying for the AEW World Heavyweight title ::joeystylesvoice::

If so, thats a helluva Main Event match right there. 

I could buy this as the main event for Full Gear 2022. AEW don't run triple threat/3 way dance matches so it would be something very unique.

I think Kenny comes back to find out that The Elite has been taken over by ACBB and we get the obvious (and awesome) Elite v Era 6 Man series before he dives back into the title scene though.

• Like 1

Taz has these audible "a ha!" moments when he realizes there's something that can be put over. It's not effortless but you can hear in his tone of voice when he draws the connection between what's happening in the ring and a story that can be told. It's salesmanship, plain and simple, and it's a great thing for an announcer to have a knack for. Fans have been hypothesizing that Tony/Excalibur/Taz is the "dream booth" for well over a year, and yeah, it is.

• Like 8

Other than when Taz talks too much about Team Taz, he's been great (except when he sings with Ruby Soho). That said, he did a good job of putting over Dante Martin in the context of their feud last night as well. He and Excalibur, as I mentioned earlier, also covered well for botched moves last night.

Must also be much easier to sell your title being the most prestigious, sought after title in the world when you're talking about it during the context of THAT match.

In general, I liked the commentary a lot. I struggled for the first few minutes when they kept selling upcoming shows and things because it made the match feel less special but they mostly dumped that later on. There was one point where both guys were selling after a top rope move or something where Excalibur slipped in something. You get why they did it since they figured they'd have eyes on the match and wanted to hype Revolution or the move to TBS but it was frustrating. As the match went on they obviously sold it as the important thing that it was. Taz can occasionally start just spouting out goofy nothing words, but in general, he does well. Tony tries really hard to say things that matter, and he wants the other announcers to validate him, and it gives everything an earnest patina. Excalibur went to the same well ("Deep waters") a little too often but he also punctuated a lot of the immediate action very well and fed Taz a lot of very good stuff that he knew Taz would then work well with.

• Like 4

You know MJF is undefeated on Dynamite. I wonder if they end up doing his match with Punk on PPV so he can keep his TV streak alive. Could we get his first Dynamite loss to Hangman at one of these upcoming themed shows?

Great promo video for Hook. Mark my words CM punk with learn to rue the day he said "Send Hook", Hook gives Punk his first loss.

Tommy End is putting incredible storytelling into this character. You notice how his eye keeps getting blacker and blacker? that's cause the infection is spreading. He injured his eye against Buddy Murphy but that was just a dream right. The "eye injury" was really when Tommy got infected.

• Like 3

That title match was fantastic. I could feel my heart in my chest in the last couple of minutes, there were so many ways they could have gone with it. Mad how after years of spammed superkicks and overwrought community theatre drama it took a guy nominally trained by Shawn Michaels to come in and restore Bretism to its rightful, permanent place at the top of the wrestling industry 

(I'm being flippant; Serena of course deserves her proper respect for this too) 

I love how half of Dante's spectacular shit is just clever acrobatic dodges that aren't even going to kill him young. When he eventually debuts that second facial expression it's going to be like the second coming of Hook 

Although none of them are individually 10/10 megastars all round, all of the former Undisputed Era guys have something to recommend them (godspeed Roddy) - KO'R was always my favourite of the group and I'd like to see him show up. He integrates his MMA stuff in a way that doesn't make him seem tediously ashamed of pro-wrestling, stooges like a champ and has a well calibrated sense of humour

Good show!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

That is AEW's best announce team right there. 

That match felt like a NJPW Main Event blown up to 60 minutes in a good way.  Awesome, but don't do it again for a few years minimum.

We need to see a random undercard draw somewhere now,  maybe one of the Dark main events between two lower midcarders

Edited by alstein
  • Like 4