DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

Page-Danielson is absolutely logical as a draw, i just felt before the match started, they had built up to the conclusion being Page wins and Danielson complains that he was out every week wrestling while Page was taking time to train, and was more prepared than he was.  But that may be too chickenshit heel for what the American Dragon is going for. 

So, I was thinking, is this all leading up to a Three Way Dance between Omega, Danielson, and Page at the next Pay Per View?  No time limit, three men, in the same ring, at the same time, vying for the AEW World Heavyweight title ::joeystylesvoice::

If so, thats a helluva Main Event match right there. 

Next Page opponent should be Miro in between this build up, complete with Miro going full Ultimate Warrior WrestleMania 7 and staring to the heavens asking God without saying a word, how can he beat The Hangman.

Absolutely loved that Adam Cole has fully taken Young Bucks kindness for weakness.  Looking forward to the full Undisputed takeover of the Elite and Cole going full serious heel.

Malakai Black bringing in Brody King is the logical next step to progress House of Black.  I would like to see very few Fully Infected members, and more subtle, not-so-subtle changes in the semi-infected.  Maybe Pac goes full in and takes the Black disease fully and marches with him, while others like Julia Hart, just step away from the jocks and start to wear darker colors and hang out with Bunny and Penelope Ford.  Maybe even Cody Rhodes goes dark hair again ?

Man, when the lights went off when FTR and MJF were in the ring, I thought for sure it would be the Briscoe Brothers to attack FTR.  What a debut that would have been.

Also, hoping MJF and FTR come out to the Pinnacle theme next week.  That song, in a very short time, made my Spotify top listened songs of 2021. 

Ricky Starks is a STAR.  Facial expressions, delivery, all top notch.  May need to see a bit more in the ring from him, but the guys charisma is prime time.

• Like 9

Who likes wrestling?

I like wrestling!

Last night… I got wrestling!

Count me in on being gobsmacked by how deep the tank is for Bryan and Page.

It looks like we are supposed to walk away thinking that Hangman had it won but for a few seconds.  Which is fine.  But I’m going to nitpick the booking a little bit here.  But I’m not a huge fan of Hangman’s FIRST title defense being a draw.  But considering the quality it’s hard to be too upset about it.  Especially since I’m really wondering what’s next. 

The rest of the show was a blur.  But that’s more on me because I’m an emotionally crippled introvert working retail during the Christmas season.  Exhausted!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm sure most of those fans, especially the idiot in the let's go Brandon shirt were probably wondering what Punk's shirt meant. 

Oh that fucking dick.  Imagine the cognitive dissonance showing up in what is essentially the 2021 MAGA hat and then cheering on Bryan Danielson.  That's what happens when you support a party whose beliefs and platform have been replaced with a simple troll ethos.  I hope Dante's BLM armband made him just so so mad.   I hope Nyla, Sonny Kiss, and Anthony Bowens had matches.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

My question/quibble is: after the series which culminated in Bryan crushing Page's shoulders and head into the ringpost, and Page's subsequent blade job, how was there not a count-out? Bryan was in the ring for at least 30 seconds while Page was off-screen cutting, and then they spent an entire commercial break with doctors and refs attending to Page, including giving him water. That was almost 5 full minutes with Page outside the ring and Bryan inside of it.

13 minutes ago, JLowe said:

My question/quibble is: after the series which culminated in Bryan crushing Page's shoulders and head into the ringpost, and Page's subsequent blade job, how was there not a count-out? Bryan was in the ring for at least 30 seconds while Page was off-screen cutting, and then they spent an entire commercial break with doctors and refs attending to Page, including giving him water. That was almost 5 full minutes with Page outside the ring and Bryan inside of it.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

“Referee’s discretion” has always been a thing in AEW since the start. Paul Turner didn’t want to end a World Title match on a count out - easy.

I thought the same thing after the Dead Eye on the apron, where Turner immediately left the ring to check on Danielson instead of starting the count.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

“Referee’s discretion” has always been a thing in AEW since the start. Paul Turner didn’t want to end a World Title match on a count out - easy.

Thanks, I figured there was an obvious explanation. TBH, would have been nice if that had been discussed by the announcers while it was happening (although maybe it was and I missed it).

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Oh that fucking dick.  Imagine the cognitive dissonance showing up in what is essentially the 2021 MAGA hat and then cheering on Bryan Danielson.  That's what happens when you support a party whose beliefs and platform have been replaced with a simple troll ethos.  I hope Dante's BLM armband made him just so so mad.   I hope Nyla, Sonny Kiss, and Anthony Bowens had matches.

I am sure that is pretty bad at the WWE shows as well but we can't generally hear it as much.  Plus I have RAW most on mute because commentary is garbage ?

But between the Brandon chants that have lasted a good month, the homophobia among a few and the off and on fans talking about women's match being bathroom breaks;  the idea that AEW fans are more open minded is turning more and more into bullshit.   As people have mentioned on Twitter, I am sure a number of fans were extremely conflicted seeing CM Punk doing a run in in a pro-choice T shirt IN TEXAS 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 7

Doctors checking on talent during a match always seem to cancel out any 10-20 count outside the ring. Althought I was laughing at the doc not really doing anything to Hangman for 5min apart from waving his hands around and shooting water straight into his eye.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yeah Page seem to be getting a little bothered at "here drink a water" guy just not giving up.    This also shows how great Danielson was as he just oozed dickish heel.  You know how good of a heel or how great a face Hangman is that we get a "overrated" chant to Bryan Danielson of all people

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DEAN said:

That match reminded me of Flair/Steamboat 89.  When  Mox comes back, they should do Flair/Funk I Quit 89 with Hangman.  That was a great fucking match tonight.  I also enjoyed Hikaru Shida/Serena Deeb.  Watching that match, I realized that when  I first got into Deeb, she was wrestling in bars in Canada and I was amazed at how good her punches looked,  I love that she is the best woman wrestler in North America and she doesn't even use the best punches in women's wrestling.  MJF was a fucking heat machine.  MJF+Texas=SOLID GOLD.  HOORAY, AEW!

Who gets to be Sting/Muta in the undercard then?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

Bryan’s one legged Jumping Jacks taunt near the end was amazing.

What a joy is to be witnessing this run for Bryan and his entire career in general. The ridiculous amount of amazing in-ring hours that’s available from him might be unmatched.

Greatest Wrestler of All Time. Bryan Danielson can do it all. The amount of great matches he's had. I love the man. To get to meet him would be something else. I'm a massive fan. MASSIVE. Fucking love Bryan Danielson.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

I wonder how TNT feels about all of the f-bombs dropped during the title match. I love it but I don't want them to get in trouble, if they have to save that for the pay-per-view that's fine. One of the best parts of Omega v Hangman was the latter jumping up and screaming in Kenny's face, "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT MOTHERFUCKER!?!"

Okay, Hangman goes through the table on the outside and sells his arm. After the commercial, Hangman hits multiple lariats but they have no effect. Excalibur says "The lariat doesn't have the effect because Danielson put in all that work on the right arm of Hangman."  Danielson cuts off the lariats by kicking Hangman's arm, then does it again.  I'm thinking "Wow, Hangman can't use the Buckshot now, what will he do?"

They go to the top, Danielson tries a backdrop suplex but Hangman lands on his feet, and flattens Danielson with a discus lariat using that same right arm. His arm is immediately fine again for the rest of the match because why?  Magic?

15 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They go to the top, Danielson tries a backdrop suplex but Hangman lands on his feet, and flattens Danielson with a discus lariat using that same right arm. His arm is immediately fine again for the rest of the match because why?  Magic?

Cowboy Shit

• Like 11

I don't have much to add,  but Adam Page absolutely should have gone over here. If you put Page over in that match,  you don't ever have to worry about his credibility as a champion. He's the man,  no questions asked,  for as long as he holds that belt.  Danielson at this point,  for this audience,  can't lose credibility. He's covered in Teflon like Flair in the 80s. He can drop a fall and everyone will know he's Bryan Danielson and that carries more weight than any championship. 

Hikaru Shida vs Serena Deeb was also really good. I have one nitpick. Serena Deeb needs to change up her look. She dresses like a 2000s Diva Division bubbly babyface, not a 2021 heel. I don't understand Shida's look,  but it does feel modern. The division is coming along nicely,  but this is the kind if thing that makes it feel like an afterthought. There is a lack of attention to detail to the presentation of all the women in the division.  This was a huge show,  the world title match most likely attracted quite a few new viewers who don't normally watch AEW,  make sure everything else on the show is presented at the highest level. Deeb has been great in her limited opportunities. She is really good in the ring, is doing good character work,  and the crowd is responding.  Part of the creative side of wrestling needs to be focused on making sure everything connects. The look,  the work,  and the character needs to be a cohesive whole.  

MJF is a fucking star. He still has a bit of work to do in order to be able to really bring it in the ring,  but everything else is pretty fucking stellar. He understands his character as much as anyone in the world. He not only understands his character,  he understands how the fans see his opponent's characters. The "low blow" comments he makes are all addressing internet wrestling marks. Punk probably hadn't thought about Ryback in 5 years. Always online internet fans care much more about that comment than he does, and that's who he's addressing. The reason his heel character is so effective,  is because he's addressing all the people who feel like they know some shit and playing off of that. He doesn't have people ironically cheering him,  because he is actively playing a heel to the type of fan who cheers the heel because they think they're in on the joke. 

Dante Martin is going to kill himself with one of his dives,  because he can physically do things that even he's surprised he can do. That springboard shooting star press to the floor was crazy. I love that kid,  and hope to good he stays healthy long enough to hit his prime years with that athleticism. He's a special talent.

• Like 3

Yeah, I can appreciate the effort and the audacity to put a one hour draw on TV, and thought it was a great match, but it wasn't for me.  I'm just not a one hour draw guy.  I was watching the clock and once they passed 10 minutes without doing a lot, you could read the tea leaves.  Even then, I was hoping for a Page win in like minute 59.  Going the distance with the best in the world solidifies him, but not as well as beating him would have.

So Page beats MJF at Battle for the Belts, maybe?

16 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I can appreciate the effort and the audacity to put a one hour draw on TV, and thought it was a great match, but it wasn't for me.  I'm just not a one hour draw guy.  I was watching the clock and once they passed 10 minutes without doing a lot, you could read the tea leaves.  Even then, I was hoping for a Page win in like minute 59.  Going the distance with the best in the world solidifies him, but not as well as beating him would have.

So Page beats MJF at Battle for the Belts, maybe?

For me an hour long draw only really needs to happen to give a challenge credibility. In this case Danielson has the credibility,  so doing an hour long draw diminishes the champion. The champion only gains credibility from winning. He's the babyface champion, overcoming insurmountable challenges is kind of the point. 

• Like 1