DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

Holy fudging heck! Winter Is Coming, my lads and queens!

Last year we got "It's STAAAAANNNNNGGGG!!" and Kenny deeply crushing the hearts of about 15% of the posters here by beating Mox to become the AEW World Champion. What will this year bring?

Shida vs Deeb 

Deebs won round one (delaying Shida's 50th win), then Sheeds won their tournament match, but then Deebs got revenge by helping Nyla knock Sheeds outa the tournament... who will win the rubber match?!?!?!

D-Bry vs Hangmin! WINTER IS COOMING AHHHHHHHHH

I'm not COOMING AHHHHHHHHH. you're COOMING AHHHHHHHHH. 

You'd have to assume they're not going to take the belt off of Page this soon.

You'd also have to assume they are going to keep Danielson's unstoppable win streak alive.

I am on tenterhooks here.

Dynamite Diamond Final: MJF vs. Dante

The diamond ring is such a big part of Friedman's gimmick... but also this sure would put Dante over hyuuuuge, and he's on the verge of making that leap (no pun intended)...

A Sydal vs the guy so awesome I changed my name for him. 

1) I have to imagine these guys will work a very compelling David vs Goliath thing in there.

2) Sydal bumping for Wardlow is going to be sick.

3) Which is funnier: Gordlow, or Wardi? Or: Neither. Get over yourself, dude.

Presumably other stuff! Maybe a big debut!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Jiji said:

What do you mean by that? Are there... Rumours? ?

Just people going their own way.

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

FGmaLOMX0AMfipT?format=jpg&name=900x900

I'll be up at 01:00am Thursday morning to watch AEW Dynamite: Winter is Coming live. Bryan Danielson should defeat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship. Strike while the iron's hot, you have the best wrestler in the world and the GOAT. I do hope the title changes hands. Others will disagree.

This is one packed AEW Dynamite with Hikaru Shida vs. Serena Deeb III, MJF vs. Dante Martin for the Dynamite Diamond Ring and @Gordlow, I mean Wardlow vs. Matt Sydal.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

More I think it, the more I feel like Danielson should win. I'm sorry, Hangmin. I love you but Danielson is #1A right now. 

I would hate to see that! Hangman battled his way to this title, Danielson doesn't need it to be the incredible Dickhead Danielson that we've come to love so much. It's going to fucking rule either way, though...

That's... not a whole lot of matches announced, SOMETHING unexpected and surprising may very well go down ???

• Like 1

Jake SOMETHING?   

I have a feeling the title match will either be a double DQ, countout or time limit draw.  Page fought too hard to get to the title and Brian shouldn't lose

Wardlow is amazing. I've said it on this board more times than not. Even before he was signed to AEW, the guy is a star. He has a better swanton than Hardy (yeah I said it)  he can be an amazing face or a monster heel, and outside of the ring he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. 

If you want to see a fun match go on youtube and check out Wardlow vs Jack Pollock in a cage from IWC wrestling. Not going to spoil the ending but it's awesome.  

Looking forward for tonight!

• Like 4

They've left themselves in a good position booking-wise in my opinion. They could go any direction for the main event and I at least wouldn't shit on it.

That being said, I kind of agree that it's time for an inconclusive finish. On the other hand, I also think Deeb vs Shida should end inconclusively to build to an "I Quit" or similar match down the line, and you can't do too many of those on one show.

So much to look forward to tonight.  Shida exacting cruel revenge against Serena Deeb, Wardlow killing A Sydal via death by power bomb, D-Bry and Adam Page beating the living shit out of each other, Hook screwing Dante out of the Diamond Ring ... or will Punk screw MJF?

I will take a nap when I get home from work so that my shattered body clock does not cause me to pass out at 9PM.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

FGmaLOMX0AMfipT?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bryan Danielson should defeat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship. Strike while the iron's hot, you have the best wrestler in the world and the GOAT. I do hope the title changes hands. Others will disagree.

First time I've disagreed with you mate.

*points at Wrestlemania sign *

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

Danielson outclasses Page in every way but they've built Hangman for so long...man, I don't know.  My guess is Hangman gets the win and the respect from Danielson to kick off his title run right.  And there's nothing wrong with Danielson continuing as a badass cocky babyface who knows how good he is and isn't shy about it.  There should be nothing plucky about him.

Shida/Deeb will continue to bring the glorious hate and I can't wait.  At some point, Shida is going to just whup that ass for good.  Just a matter of when and if they want to stretch this goodness for another match, that's cool.

I'm all for Team Taz and Punk fuckery with MJF somehow ending up with the diamond for the third year. 

2022 has to be the year that they pull the trigger on the Emancipation of Wardlow, right?

Not so sure about big debuts.  There's another school of thought that says such debuts will wait until the  first TBS show.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Danielson outclasses Page in every way but they've built Hangman for so long...man, I don't know.  My guess is Hangman gets the win and the respect from Danielson to kick off his title run right.  And there's nothing wrong with Danielson continuing as a badass cocky babyface who knows how good he is and isn't shy about it.  There should be nothing plucky about him.

Only way to let guys like Hangman really rise to that next level is putting them over in a big match like this. He's the first World Champ they've had that's not been a Main Eventer before so I feel this a big test for everyone.

He's also been on the cusp of breaking through as a proper huge star for over a year now so I hope they let him keep the belt for a while, I think it's the right call.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 9

Only 4 matches announced. So either we're getting late announcements, or one (or more) of the matches is going to be very long.

Hangman vs Danielson: 60 minute draw?

• Like 7

How long was Omega v Hangman? A quick search yields little...

Edit! So Hangman won in just over 25 minutes. I seriously see no problem with him defeating Danielson cleanly, since Danielson could not defeat Omega in under 30 minutes. I don't expect them to reference any of this whatsoever but they absolutely could.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

Personally, I think they've booked themselves into a situation where there's no wrong answer and there's no right answer. I'm not sure what the best answer is.

Danielson over Page: Danielson is a wrestler they can build on to potentially draw fans that they wouldn't have otherwise. He can work anyone on the roster. They have limited time to make the most of him. He exudes star power that almost no one on the roster does. They could easily portray him as the boss after the final boss. Maybe the strength of Page is the growth of the chase and maybe there's a meaningful story for him winning the big prize but finding that it wasn't enough and now he needs another year to build himself back up to defeat Danielson and there can be a question of whether he wants to become like Danielson to overcome him or if he can find his own way, etc.

Page over Danielson: If they want to go all in with Page, this is how to do it. Have him win. Have him win definitively. Danielson will recover and still be useful. Will he be AS useful as he'd be if they push him to the moon? No. And they've already tarnished Punk a little bit in that regard over the last few weeks. Again, that doesn't mean that they're still not great pick ups, but you don't bring Hogan into 1984 WWF and have him put Sheik (or even necessarily an ascendant Slaughter, which might be a better comparison) over. Or maybe it's more like putting 1994 Dustin over Hogan immediately in WCW (Sting's not a good example since he'd been on top for years). You can do it, and there'll be gains, but there's an opportunity cost to it. If they wanted to do this, they should have done it in summer after Danielson got to be a face for a while longer and after Page had a few strong programs/defenses. If they do it, they should do it clean and definitive. No half measures, no banana peel. Anything win other than a definitive victory would probably hurt Page.

A non-finish/debut/interference: It's tougher to just cycle Danielson away from Page after beating up the Dark Order. It was maybe easier with Omega and Danielson. If this goes to a draw, Page will look cowardly for not wanting another shot at Danielson. They can build to another match in a month or two, but it doesn't really change the issues (and opportunities) above, even if it maybe dilutes them a bit. If you had some very impressive debut or turn, something that could really justify both wrestlers going in different directions, it might work, but then you go back to having a new/reinvigorated entity that should be protected up against either Danielson or Page, who both should be protected.

So it's a self-inflicted conundrum. I know people who feel like the best choice is to put over Danielson, and if they can spin this out to another good, carefully crafted Page storyline, maybe that would be the best choice for the overall building of the company. I figure because things are going mostly well, and because they've booked themselves into this corner, they have to be careful and not burn their core fans. Get behind Page then but if you're going to do that, REALLY get behind him.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 7

Adam Page beat Kenny Omega under 30 minutes for the AEW World Championship at Full Gear last month. Bryan Danielson drew with Kenny Omega in a non title match at AEW Dynamite Grand Slam in September. Aren't AEW World Championship matches on TV a 60 minute time limit and not 30? I can see a draw with either time limit.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1