DVDVR Message Board

What sports teams/franchises/clubs do you like and why?

Ryan

Montreal Canadiens, my grandfather was from Montreal so I have always had an attachment to the city. Plus I was always a mark for legacies, same reason Bruno was my first favorite wrestler, I liked reading about his conquests.

Minnesota Vikings, my first favorite football team was the Cowboys because they were so dominant in the early 90s, then I switched to the Packers due to their legacy. I wasn't really a fan of the game at this point and was mostly a front runner. Going into grade ten, it was the first year I was given money to buy my own school clothes so naturally I went cheap so I could keep the change. When looking for a shirt I was drawn to the Vikings for purely esthetic reasons. That was also the first year I started gambling on sports. The Vikings were the shit that year and were always winning for me and now they're my team for life.

In the 80s, I wasn't so much a fan of basketball teams, but basketball players and no player was as awesome to watch for me as Dominique Wilkins. While he was playing, whichever team he was on became my team. After his retirement I went to the team he was most associated with, the Atlanta Hawks.

For baseball, I used to be an Expos fan and after the bullshit of 94, I swore off baseball forever, the Expos up and moving out of Montreal certainly didn't help my lapsed fandom. Then last year I placed a bet on a baseball game, I picked the Cardinals to win mostly because of how insufferable their haters were on this message board, especially from Cubs fans who support a worthless franchise. They were down and I thought it was a sure loss and then came back in the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs and that brought me back to baseball.

The CFL, it's Montreal due to family ties with the city, plus they have some pretty boss uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...

The only team I follow is Notre Dame and that is because I have spent my whole life in the South Bend area. The only team I actively root against is Michigan. The could be playing the Manson Family and I would root for the Mansons because Muck Fichigan.

Sports!

I like the Carolina Hurricanes because they moved to NC just as I started following hockey. Lots of people are sad because the Hurricanes aren't in Hartford anymore. I'm sorry.

I like the Atlanta Braves because growing up in the South you only had one option for a home team.

I do not like the NFL. It permeates every bit of culture and makes it worse.

I am a casual basketball person, so I pay little attention to the NBA.

I think college sports is a form of indentured servitude and I find that morally repugnant.

I think that freestyle web design is more of a sport than soccer.

Bills & Sabres. The big local teams. I actually didn't start following hockey until 1997, when the Sabres' had a classic 7 game series against the Sens, which Derek Plante ended in OT. That they were then crushed in 5 by the Flyers did not dampen my enthusiasm.

The Bills have been my true sports love since I can remember. If the Sabres ever win the Cup I will jump for joy. If the Bills win the Lombardi I will cry like Bill Murray seeing one of his childhood christmases in SCROOGED.

I casually follow the Bulls and Braves. No connection to the Knicks, and MJ ruled the world when I was a kid. The Braves I followed because I idolized my cousin Shawn growing up, and he in turn idolized Prime Time, so I took to the Braves because he liked them and I didn't already have a team. Of course, one of my first baseball memories is Deion striking out in a big at-bat during the 90 or 91 World Series.

• 9 months later...

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles. a few years back, i was getting more into football and needed a team. My friend is a big Cowboys fan, so i was looking at that division so that we'd match up. The Eagles were doing pretty well, Michael Vick was rocking, and i just liked the way the team played. and the crowd is awesome.

-the runner up is Aaron Rodgers. i can't believe i root for the Packers, but the dude can play and is awesome. but i will always hate Brett Favre.

MLB: Tampa Bay Devil Rays.  i had become disillusioned with baseball after the '94 debacle of the strike. a few years later, 1998, the Devil Rays became an expansion team and i chose that moment to get back into the game. something about the way the presented themselves caught my attention, and i've followed them ever since.

but i was raised a Cubs fan and Ryne Sandberg is my favorite player of all time.

Triple-A Baseball: the Iowa Cubs, because they're local and my grandpa used to take me to games.

NHL:  Vancouver Canucks, but i don't follow hockey whatsoever. i just liked their uniforms and would always pick them back when Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey was out for the n64.

NBA:  i hate to say it, but i was a young'un when Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls dominated basketball, and i was swept up by them. don't really follow basketball much, but i still tend to root for the Bulls.