DVDVR Message Board

Raw is the 2022 Hall of Fame - 12/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Seeing how Rhea/Zelina went was just disappointing and makes me wonder why Vince was so insistent on keeping the tag titles on the main roster.

What I caught of Otis/Riddle was solid. Loved that toss up World's Strongest Slam Otis hit.

Bianca/Doudrop was good. Loved seeing Bianca win with the 450 finally.

Skipped through parts of Miz/Edge and Liv/Becky segments, but what I saw seemed decent enough.

Was Miz's HoF video legit? Didn't seem so the way Edge handled it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

Imagine having Rhea Ripley and doing THIS with her. 

It was a stupid decision for Rhea Ripley to lose the NXT Women's Championship to Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania XXXVI. Such a difference in presentation and booking from NXT to main roster which applies to most of the callups unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Seeing how Rhea/Zelina went was just disappointing and makes me wonder why Vince was so insistent on keeping the tag titles on the main roster.

What I caught of Otis/Riddle was solid. Loved that toss up World's Strongest Slam Otis hit.

Bianca/Doudrop was good. Loved seeing Bianca win with the 450 finally.

Skipped through parts of Miz/Edge and Liv/Becky segments, but what I saw seemed decent enough.

Was Miz's HoF video legit? Didn't seem so the way Edge handled it.

Didn't watch the show. I wondered the same thing.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nothing says dumb HOF than putting in active participants. 

(This goes for Dave, too)

It's as if there's a difference between actual sports and pro wrestling or something. In a non worked sport your career is going to be over by your early 40's for virtually everyone whereas other than Jack Brisco how many guys can you think of who retired and in fact stayed retired other than someone who suffered an injury so severe like Johny Valentine that an in ring return was impossible (and with medical advancements we are now seeing guys who had to retire being able to come back)? Bryan Danielson can have a triumphant return to wrestling, Pat LaFontaine and Dominik Hasek aren't going to make a triumphant return to save the Sabres. Or consider: Is the R&R HOF a joke because the still active Rolling Stones are in it (Yes, I know there are plenty of reasons it's a joke but that clearly isn't one of them)?

Wikipedia doesn't have Miz listed as a future inductee, so I don't think that's legit. Of course, like most people, I didn't watch Raw, so I can't offer my own opinion on the context.

I will say, it would be quite weird if they wanted to induct active regulars but had Miz in before Brock, Roman, Randy, or Charlotte.

It was all an angle.  And frankly I'm shocked we've never had a heel "I should be in the Hall of Fame" feud yet.   

But frankly, Miz vs Edge is the absolute best fit for that angle. 

That being said, though it was thoroughly tongue in cheek, the video will probably be extremely close to the one he actually uses when he actually gets in. 

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That being said, though it was thoroughly tongue in cheek, the video will probably be extremely close to the one he actually uses when he actually gets in. 

Is it wrong that when it happens I just want them to use an updated version of the Hate Me Now vid?

• Like 5

I've really grown to hate WWE's version of "No DQ" matches.  I know No DQ matches are a pro wres staple and the idea is to protect the babyface by putting the heel over without having him eat a clean pin, but I still get annoyed at the WWE's version of the stip which basically means "anything goes."  I'd much prefer it if they gave the ref leeway to ignore interference or chairs or whatever, but still had some boundaries.  No DQ shouldn't mean the ref stands there unconcerned while six guys parachute from the rafters and beat the babyface.

There's got to be a way to do no dq matches without going to ridiculous extremes.  

Last night's match didn't even make much sense.  Seth and Owens want to keep Lashley out of the match, so they.... attack both guys, which leads to Big E getting caught flatfooted and eating a spear.  Wouldn't the better plan have been to interfere on Big E's behalf to soften up Lashley for the Big Ending?

Won't be too surprised if E drops the belt on Day One.  Not even sure that's a bad idea.  Not his fault, but he's obviously not going to draw well or, lol, be involved in feuds we want to watch.  Monkey paw something something.  Won't be too surprised if Owens wins the belt.  His heel turn and recent push supposedly have a lot to do with keeping him away from AEW.  

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Wouldn't the better plan have been to interfere on Big E's behalf to soften up Lashley for the Big Ending?

That's what they did, but Big E didn't want their help so he attacked/started fighting with them. Whole thing was still awful regardless. 

I'm just happy they read my post from 2 weeks ago and used it in their booking. lol

I absolutely hate that finish/stipulation in the Main. If the whole purpose was for Owens to goad Seth in to attacking him so KO could be added to the Title Match, then why wouldn't Seth just punch Big E first and get Owens DQ'ed? It's the laziest of booking and it just makes zero sense.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I've really grown to hate WWE's version of "No DQ" matches.  I know No DQ matches are a pro wres staple and the idea is to protect the babyface by putting the heel over without having him eat a clean pin, but I still get annoyed at the WWE's version of the stip which basically means "anything goes."  I'd much prefer it if they gave the ref leeway to ignore interference or chairs or whatever, but still had some boundaries.  No DQ shouldn't mean the ref stands there unconcerned while six guys parachute from the rafters and beat the babyface.

There's got to be a way to do no dq matches without going to ridiculous extremes.  

[unless of course you make that the entire point and take it to the ridiculous logical conclusion like Royal Rumble 94]

But yeah, thinking about this:

Without having actually seen one in full (admittedly), I have to say I like the idea of the old World Class "Come As You Are" street fight/bunkhouse gimmick.

It's not No DQ or No Holds Barred (necessarily) and it still leaves chairs, tables, and the ring bell as off-limits.  But as I think I understand it, you were allowed to use anything as long as you're visibly wearing it at the start of the match.  Focusing on the letter of the law, I feel like this at least humors kayfabe and the idea that this is ostensibly still a sporting competition; you're openly declaring what is eligible/legal for you by presenting it from the beginning.  There's no secrets or surprises for the opponent, or the referee either for that matter.  [Like an Offensive Lineman reporting to the official before playing a ball-carrying position.]

Every normally illegal object/weapon is "fairly" introduced at the opening bell (and then the dramatic tension for the audience becomes one of anticipation rather than swerve)

SMH at the idea that Kevin Owens could be/would be swayed not to go to AEW the minute he can by getting another meaningless title reign. I'm not sure what could entice him - maybe some sort of ridiculous contract that also includes a very, very large signing bonus (which would theoretically serve as a means to show long-term commitment to him) - but I really hope he isn't that big a mark for the WWE/Universal Championship in 2021 or the concept of "main eventing" WrestleMania when for the past half-decade, in WWE-speak, there are at least 3 main events each year. I'm of the belief that Owens has made alot of money and saved it well, main evented plenty of PPVs, and has been heated-and-cooled-and-microwaved enough times and might actually, like Mox and Bryan Danielson and even Jericho, be much more excited and interested in the prospect of adding to the "Kevin Steen" legacy and being given that full artistic freedom that so many of his contemporaries and peers are enjoying.

And, of all the WWE talent that AEW could cherry-pick, Kevin Owens has to rank at the very top. His pre-WWE career has never been forgotten by longtime fans and while he's had a WWE run full of accolades (like Mox), there has always been the lingering idea that he was "muted" in the WWE. He's undeniably charismatic and a good-to-great promo. He would be an instant main eventer in AEW much like Punk, Bryan, and Mox were and there are a myriad of ways to use him, many of which would get a ton of buzz. 

If he opts to stay in WWE, good on him, but selfishly, I think I speak for most fans when I say I'd much rather see him do something fresh and get off the hamster wheel for awhile. I mean, what's the worse that could happen? He spend 2-3 years in AEW and then come back to the WWE and probably get an even bigger contract than whatever they're offering him now for way less dates. I mean, isn't that basically how its worked out for Goldberg?

On 12/15/2021 at 1:24 PM, L_W_P said:

I always thought that was why we had "No Holds Barred" as an option?

the problem, similar to what you point out, is that you can't do No Holds Barred unless you establish over the course of all your other bouts that there's some holds that normally are barrred, and the only holds that are barred are the ones that are meta-barred (i.e. the piledriver) so no one can use them, even in a NHB match, anyway

• Like 1