DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

In defense of their awful rules change, people certainly had seen Avatar. So mission accomplished. 

That Oscar nom gave me Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to pronounce Avatar on a live mic, and that’ll be with me forever. Totally worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eight awards will be presented prior to the live Academy Awards broadcast and be edited into the show:

• documentary short
  • film editing
  • makeup/hairstyling
  • original score
  • production design
  • animated short
  • live action short
  • sound

They're not going to trick people who don't want to watch the Oscars into watching the Oscars, but go wild I guess. 

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh so this is full on The Genre Film Award. A nice little ghetto for the unwashed. 

What a bunch of dicks.

But it has actual Best Picture nominees in it?  That's weird.

4 minutes ago, Log said:

But it has actual Best Picture nominees in it?  That's weird.

My Guess: The low key Golden Globes this year left studios and production companies with extra bribe money laying around, so they bought some bot farms so that their Best Picture nominees would seem more culturally relevant. 

• Like 1

I didn't notice that but it's double bullshit. If you are really gonna do that why are you gonna let the best pic noms in? Just to screw over the competition?

*thinks* Oh IIIIII see, it's to throw a bone to the genre fans when their offering loses the Best Picture. That feels... nicer... but then why even give Dune or Dog a nod in the first place? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I mean, Dune and Power of the Dog got BP noms because they're legit contenders. 

Pretty sure the thing that's going to win the Fan Favourite dealie won't be a BP nom. This is more a bone to throw to the comic book people who still don't feel their taste is being validated sufficiently, with an outside chance someone hijacks the thing because it's the internet after all. The problem is it's transparent to the point of being meaningless. And like all their other attempts to "fix" the Oscars broadcast, it only opens them up to mockery while doing little to achieve their goal.

• Like 2

I would think a Spider-Man win is inevitable here.

It is a leaderboard voting system, so maybe the people who would bother casting a vote at all are more likely to have seen the best picture nominees. That said, it feels a lot more like the Academy doesn’t want to totally concede that Oscar nominees are not typically universal crowd pleasers. 

The silliest part is that the Oscars started as a kayfabe ceremony that studio chiefs ran like the NWA board of directors, and it was designed to generate new interest in the movies after box office receipts started to dip across the board. It’s like most things; it started out as some bullshit that became an institution, and before long everyone was high on their own supply and taking it seriously. The original Academy would’ve given No Way Home Best Picture without blinking. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 3:48 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Eight awards will be presented prior to the live Academy Awards broadcast and be edited into the show:

• documentary short
  • film editing
  • makeup/hairstyling
  • original score
  • production design
  • animated short
  • live action short
  • sound

They're not going to trick people who don't want to watch the Oscars into watching the Oscars, but go wild I guess. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-infighting-over-excluding-categories-1235103324/

Ever since that story broke, many Academy members and ‘Film Twitter’ tweeters have relentlessly slammed the organization — in particular, its board, as well as outgoing CEO Dawn Hudson — for what they regard as disrespectful treatment of the practitioners of the affected crafts. Meanwhile, the Academy’s defenders have called on such critics to wait until they see the new format (which appears to be modeled after the one employed for some categories on the Tonys telecast) in practice before hardening their opinion, while also noting that the organization derives almost all of its operating revenue from the deal with ABC, and if the general public continues to flee the telecast the organization will face an existential threat — in other words, that it was necessary to amputate a limb in order to save a patient.

---------

Another governor of a branch that has lost a category from the live telecast, who wishes to remain nameless, says he was jarred when, over the summer, he received a call from Hudson explaining why significant changes to the format of the Oscars were necessary. This governor says that he was told that ABC had warned the Academy that it would cancel the Oscars telecast, via a clause in the Academy and ABC’s deal for the Oscars’ broadcasting rights, if 12 categories were not removed from the show. “We were told we’d have to sacrifice something or we were going to lose the whole show,” this governor recaps.

In the end, rather than dropping 12 categories altogether from the telecast, the Academy was able to satisfy ABC with the current plan, which will leave the network with more time to restore the sorts of ratings-drivers that were glaringly absent from last year’s telecast, such as a host (or, as will be the case this year, three hosts), clips of the nominated films and performances of the best original song Oscar nominees.

-----------------

Added Netflix chief Ted Sarandos, a member of the executives branch, “All of the traditional Oscars will be presented in front of a full house and televised on ABC. It’s going to be a great show! Smart evolution of the broadcast. Nobody slighted.”

Sarandos’ comment about the Oscars being presented “in front of a full house” is a reference to the Academy’s insistence that Oscars attendees will be seated inside the Dolby Theatre by 4 p.m. PT for the presentation of the eight awards which will be edited down and air during the live telecast, which starts at 5 p.m. PT (save for nominees and presenters, who will be given staggered times to arrive on the red carpet in order to participate in ABC’s Oscars preshow, which will be airing during the 4 p.m. hour).

But, opined one governor whose branch’s corresponding award will be presented during that hour, “I think most people will be at the bar. We are going to need a lot more seat-fillers. So that’s going to be a bummer for the nominees whose awards are being presented them.”

It really is like the most Hollywood story ever as the story is also full of dramatic quotes from both sides