DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

Three months later and I think I can safely reopen this.

Jennifer Hudson reached EGOT status by winning a Tony last night - the 2nd youngest woman to do so

She was a producer on A Strange Loop which won Best Musical (RuPaul, Don Cheadle, Mindy Kaling, Billy Porter, and Alan Cumming are also producers)

Other notable things from the Tony's last night

Sam Mendes won Best Direction of a Play (The Lehman Trilogy)

British composer Toby Marlow also made history as the first non-binary Tony winner, taking home the prize for best original score (music and/or lyrics) written for the theatre, for the historical comedy musical Six, alongside co-creator Lucy Moss.

Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Phylicia Rashad and Patti Lupone also won

Looking it up, I figured Mendes would have only been a Grammy away from EGOT'ing himself.  But he apparently never does TV stuff, so zero Emmys too.  

Also Rippa ignoring the Broadway thread makes me sad.  

27 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also Rippa ignoring the Broadway thread makes me sad.  

Not in this folder and last post prior to your necromancy was 2019

I am always correct

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I don’t follow theater closely at all, but it seems like a good sign that the big winners aren’t existing IP names that I recognize. 

There are still some - the big one was The Music Man (which starred Hugh Jackman). It had 6 nominations but didn't win anything which seems fitting since I seem to recall the reviews not being great.

Also Company was a revival of Stephen Sondheim musical but since that was originally from before most of us born it doesn't really count (plus they gender flipped it)

The big trend now is taking a famous musician and basing the entire musical on their music. MJ is based on Michael Jackson's music. Its like the third or fourth year in a row that someone has won for playing a famous musician. God there are/were musicals recently based on: Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Cher, Brittney Spears, Alanis Morissette, Bob Dylan, The Osmonds, etc..

Everything is trying to be Mama Mia (or I guess Rock of Ages)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There are still some - the big one was The Music Man (which starred Hugh Jackman). It had 6 nominations but didn't win anything which seems fitting since I seem to recall the reviews not being great.

Also Company was a revival of Stephen Sondheim musical but since that was originally from before most of us born it doesn't really count (plus they gender flipped it)

The big trend now is taking a famous musician and basing the entire musical on their music. MJ is based on Michael Jackson's music. Its like the third or fourth year in a row that someone has won for playing a famous musician. God there are/were musicals recently based on: Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Cher, Brittney Spears, Alanis Morissette, Bob Dylan, The Osmonds, etc..

Everything is trying to be Mama Mia (or I guess Rock of Ages)

Or Jersey Boys or Tommy.

Inside baseball for The Music Man and a bit of backlash for it. 

The Winter Garden theater is one of the marquis locations to put on your show on Broadway because it's huge, ideally located, and beautiful.  The huge descriptor also means its had it struggle to find something to anchor its space since Mamma Mia closed almost 10 years ago.   Before the pandemic shut everything down, they thought they'd found their anchor in the new Beetlejuice musical - which is according to all reviews I've read - fantastic, better than it has any right to be, and most importantly, going to be on Broadway for a long time. 

Fast forward to a year later, when things are set to reopen.  Beetlejuice was going to take the WG theater back, but Hugh Jackman and his producers pulled a last minute power play and demanded his revival of Music Man get put in the Winter Garden.  BJ had to scramble to find another, smaller theater, which they did but it delayed their reopening.  Meanwhile the WG was sitting empty for almost 2 years before Music Man finally opened in February to, as noted, decent but more mediocre reviews.  

Plenty of theater people were pissed at Hugh because of the power play (among other things), and voted accordingly.  

And now that it's been shut out, Music Man will probably not make it through the summer.  (Tony-less plays/musicals tend to close quickly after the ceremonies.)  And once again, the biggest theater on the north end of Times Square will sit empty for another year or so, while it finds a new tenant.  Meanwhile, BJ is starting a national tour and ticket sales are very strong through the end of the year. 

So, yeah, Jackman can go kick rocks for a bit. 

• Like 2

I saw the 2000 revival with Eric McCormack as Harold Hill and it was tremendous. I thought there’d been another one since, but I guess it’s because I’ve been hearing about the Jackman one for so long. 

On 6/13/2022 at 11:07 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And once again, the biggest theater on the north end of Times Square will sit empty for another year or so, while it finds a new tenant.

At least it has a chance based on location. The Art out here in Champaign had its owner trying to sell the seats from the theater while the building sits, still and inviting. It baffles me. There isn't someone out there that could put it back into business despite any losses? Do the landlords of all the condos that have popped up like vermin have no taste in art (pardon the pun) at all? 

• 4 weeks later...

I should take the time to acknowledge the absolute excellence of the Bob's Burgers season finale that got nominated yesterday.  It was an up and down season, but man, was this excellent:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am bumping this for other reasons that will be my next post but I am giggling at the idea that no one really gave a shit about the Emmys to find it again (though maybe they came up in the TV thread)

On 6/13/2022 at 12:07 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And now that it's been shut out, Music Man will probably not make it through the summer.  (Tony-less plays/musicals tend to close quickly after the ceremonies.)  And once again, the biggest theater on the north end of Times Square will sit empty for another year or so, while it finds a new tenant.  Meanwhile, BJ is starting a national tour and ticket sales are very strong through the end of the year. 

Close - it was announced last week that Music Man will be closing in January

Ironically, Bettlejuice just announced it will close in April (since crowds weren't great for it)

But the big closing news is that Phantom of the Opera will be ending its 35 year run on Feb 18, 2023 (The London version will continue, and it is hitting its 36th anniversary next month)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am bumping this for other reasons that will be my next post but I am giggling at the idea that no one really gave a shit about the Emmys to find it again (though maybe they came up in the TV thread)

The emmys were such a shit show. Kennan Thompson sucked and his bits weren't funny.  Badly produced award show? This is my shocked face. . . .

• RIPPA locked this topic