DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not digging up all of the quotes of evidence for it because it's way too time consuming, but at least leading up to Tambourine, he had a team of writers writing jokes for him. That doesn't mean he didn't have any input, but he does at least have a staff of writers that write for him. Neal Brennan specifically talked about this on more than one occasion and also spoke about how he specifically was part of that writing staff. Neal and Rock are pretty tight so there's no reason for Neal to even lie about this and Rock never once refuted anything Neal talked about. The gist is, Rock is incredibly busy and doesn't have time to be writing all of his own shit. He's also rich AF and can afford to have a staff of writers.

This isn't an unheard of thing with huge folks like Rock. I can't remember the names of others, but there's more than what you think that have a writing staff working on material for them. For whatever reason, Ellen comes to mind. 

Thanks for the clarification.  My response was to  '1) Chris Rock doesn't write his material for his own stand ups' which is fair, but more accurate in the sense of collaboration and what you've written above.   Tho, I hope that doesn't come across as splitting hairs.  

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

People IN THAT ROOM still work with Woody Allen. 

It's worth diving in passed the questionable HBO docuseries, where you will surely discover there's more to that story.  The absences of information are pretty crucial to the Farrow side.  As is the disregard of both Soon Yi Previn and Moses Farrow.  I'm not sure we'll ever know all the details, but there is more than enough reason to question the ignorant judgements being made concerning that man and that case.  But regardless, there's no doubt Dylan Farrow was abused by somebody.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

13 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It's worth diving in passed the questionable HBO docuseries, where you will surely discover there's more to that story.  The absences of information are pretty crucial to the Farrow side.  As is the disregard of both Soon Yi Previn and Moses Farrow.  I'm not sure we'll ever know all the details, but there is more than enough reason to question the ignorant judgements being made concerning that man and that case.  But regardless, there's no doubt Dylan Farrow was abused by somebody.  

That man is married to someone who used to call him daddy and not in the 2022 sexual way.  I don't give a fuck whether any of the other shit is true, that is all I need to know about the man.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I was going to say something similar.  At least in the case of Woody Allen, as opposed to Polanski or Weinstein, there's some doubt as to whether he actually did what he's accused of, as far as abusing Dylan.  As far as Soon-Yi, Allen is hardly the first person in Hollywood to have a legal relationship with an adult that is more than a little weird.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That man is married to someone who used to call him daddy and not in the 2022 sexual way.  I don't give a fuck whether any of the other shit is true, that is all I need to know about the man.

He was never her father or stepfather and she never treated him that way.  That's the big misconception.  Farrow adopted her, separate from Allen, and he did not raise Soon-Yi or interact with her in that way*.

* - Yes, their relationship still strikes me as more than a little icky.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Just now, Tabe said:

He was never her father or stepfather and she never treated him that way.  That's the big misconception.  Farrow adopted her, separate from Allen, and he did not raise Soon-Yi or interact with her in that way.

How did they meet?  Was it when her mother was dating her husband while she was a minor?  She was 7-years-old when she was adopted in 1978.  Mia Farrow's relationship with Woody Allen started in 1980 and lasted until 1992. You aren't going to convince me that he wasn't a father figure to her.  Are you trying to convince me that he dated a woman who had a 9-year-old when they started dating in 1980 and didn't have any relationship with that child until he eventually started dating that child, now an adult, in 1997?  Even if that is true, if you have a relationship with a woman who has a child and you decide to date that child, you are a creep.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

How did they meet?  Was it when her mother was dating her husband while she was a minor?  She was 7-years-old when she was adopted in 1978.  Mia Farrow's relationship with Woody Allen started in 1980 and lasted until 1992. You aren't going to convince me that he wasn't a father figure to her.  Are you trying to convince me that he dated a woman who had a 9-year-old when they started dating in 1980 and didn't have any relationship with that child until he eventually started dating that child, now an adult, in 1997?  Even if that is true, if you have a relationship with a woman who has a child and you decide to date that child, you are a creep.

Your speculation is certainly worth consideration.  A problem occurs when you fail to consider there's more to the story than said speculation.  A hardline opinion on the matter suggests it's worth looking a bit deeper than the flimsy docuseries and Vanity Fair pieces (written by little Frank and Mia's pal).

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Incorrect, but you're not the only one passing a judgement that doesn't give a fuck whether the other shit is true.  

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Your speculation is certainly worth consideration.  A problem occurs when you fail to consider there's more to the story than said speculation.  A hardline opinion on the matter suggests it's worth looking a bit deeper than the flimsy docuseries and Vanity Fair pieces (written by little Frank and Mia's pal).

Incorrect, but you're not the only one passing a judgement that doesn't give a fuck whether the other shit is true.  

I've never read the Vanity Fair pieces or watched the docuseries.  I'm not down with someone dating the child of someone they had a sexual relationship with.  I literally don't know any details other than the woman she calls her mother used to fuck that dude when she was a child, and that's enough for me to not be down with it.  Have you ever dated someone who had a child?  Do you think it would be OK to date that child when they came to age?  Even if it was a date or two, I couldn't see myself doing that, and I'm old enough to date women with adult children.  I wouldn't date anyone I met as a child if I was an adult.  All the other shit is just other shit I wouldn't support, but my support for Woody Allen went away when I heard he started dating his ex's daughter.  And I repeat, he started dating her mother when she was 9 years old.  You cannot tell me that he spent 12 years in a relationship with her mother when she was between the ages of 9 and 21 and not have any type of relationship with her.  Not only that, how do you start dating someone that much younger than you?  I'm a 40-year-old single dude, and I don't have a single friend under 30.  I just don't spend anytime with anyone outside of my age range.  Honestly, why would I spend any time talking to someone who is 23 years old?  I'm sure there are some 19-year-olds that are mature for their age, but they spend their time doing 19-year-old shit, while my grown ass is complaining about back pain and going to bed early.  This could be a once in a lifetime love story, but I don't care, dating your ex's adopted daughter is creepy as fuck.  

21 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Was Everyone aware of John Wayne and Eastwood 1973?  What POS's they are/were....    

I didn't know that about Wayne, but it doesn't surprise me. I've seen multiple stories of what a miserable prick he was in his final years. Like when he cut Christopher Mitchum out of his life for disagreeing with his politics on the Tonight Show, refusing to even reconcile on his deathbed. Or speaking of Eastwood, when Clint wrote him suggesting they do a film together, Wayne responded with a blistering attack on him over the subversiveness of High Plains Drifter. Just a nasty curmudgeon. It's a shame.

6 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I didn't know that about Wayne, but it doesn't surprise me. I've seen multiple stories of what a miserable prick he was in his final years. Like when he cut Christopher Mitchum out of his life for disagreeing with his politics on the Tonight Show, refusing to even reconcile on his deathbed. Or speaking of Eastwood, when Clint wrote him suggesting they do a film together, Wayne responded with a blistering attack on him over the subversiveness of High Plains Drifter. Just a nasty curmudgeon. It's a shame.

Chuck D tried to tell y'all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Comedian said:

Technically it was Flava Flav...

True, but I'll counter with this.  When Flava Flav publicly supported Donald Trump, someone asked Chuck D about it and he said, "Flav doesn't support Donald Trump, he's never had a political opinion in his entire life."  Public Enemy had 42 different people associated with it, and quite frankly I don't understand why Chuck tolerated any of them but Terminator X and the Shocklee brothers.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

True, but I'll counter with this.  When Flava Flav publicly supported Donald Trump, someone asked Chuck D about it and he said, "Flav doesn't support Donald Trump, he's never had a political opinion in his entire life."  Public Enemy had 42 different people associated with it, and quite frankly I don't understand why Chuck tolerated any of them but Terminator X and the Shocklee brothers.

Probably tolerated Flav because he has charisma 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Even if that is true, if you have a relationship with a woman who has a child and you decide to date that child, you are a creep.

Which would be why I said it was icky.  The whole thing strikes me as at least a little gross.

As I posted, MDC said it before PE haha. I heard stories of Flav smoking crack and Chuck having to get on him for that, and this is the band that wrote "Night of the Living Baseheads". (BTW, I listened to It Takes a Nation of Millions again the other day, and it still holds up... just like Chris Rock said ?

• Like 1

Public Enemy is a story that needs a proper telling.  What a great run of classic albums that remain fresh.  Chuck D was a fucking hero. 

But if I'm being honest, as a kid, there were few things more exciting than those early DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince trax.  Never got jiggy with the later catalogue, but who can't relate to a song called 'Parents Just Don't Understand'.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Many years ago when Flav was having his run of VH1 reality show success I happened to catch Public Enemy perform at a music festival. At the end of their performance Flav starts thanking people for said success and says it is Chuck's birthday so he wanted everyone to sing Happy Birthday to him; Chuck was gone the second the last song was done and didn't come back out. I feel safe saying Chuck did little more than tolerate him by that point.

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

But if I'm being honest, as a kid, there were few things more exciting than those early DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince trax.

I never watched the TV show and somehow didn't end up hearing them on cassette (my neighbor friend had Salt N Pepa, Sir Mix-A-Lot, and incredibly even 2 Live Crew) so I don't even have that history with Will Smith. Plus, he technically remade Last Man on Earth. No bueno. 

My favorite PE is Apocalypse '91: The Enemy Strikes Black. Probably nobody will agree but that's the best. Last album I think I actually gave a spin and was alright. Chuck lipsynching on Colbert was sad though.  

EDIT: Nevermind, I think it was him reading from a teleprompter. That is some serious lost rapper cred there. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My favorite PE is Apocalypse '91: The Enemy Strikes Black. Probably nobody will agree but that's the best. Last album I think I actually gave a spin and was alright. Chuck lipsynching on Colbert was sad though.  

My favorite PE song is on that album.  "By the Time I Get to Arizona," is fucking scathing and I'm pretty sure it's the peak of Chuck D's rapping skill.  On their earlier albums, he's good, but mostly because of the sheer force of will that his voice conveys.  On Apocalypse '91, his voice still conveys that force, but he's also much more dexterous and agile with his rhyme schemes.  

Just now, Control said:

I cannot believe people are referring to going bald as a disability.

Alopecia is an autoimmune disease that can make you more susceptible to pretty much every other disease, that is the disability.  Going bald is just the most obvious sign of the disease.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Alopecia is an autoimmune disease that can make you more susceptible to pretty much every other disease, that is the disability.  Going bald is just the most obvious sign of the disease.  

Ok, so what accessibility issues are caused by alopecia? What accommodations does she need?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Control said:

Ok, so what accessibility issues are caused by alopecia? What accommodations does she need?

I imagine it's that someone with alopecia can't be expected to be available as much as someone without alopecia, but I generally spend zero time trying to figure out what disabilites are actual disabilities and which are not.  I just know that alopecia is on the list.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I never watched the TV show and somehow didn't end up hearing them on cassette (my neighbor friend had Salt N Pepa, Sir Mix-A-Lot, and incredibly even 2 Live Crew) so I don't even have that history with Will Smith. Plus, he technically remade Last Man on Earth. No bueno. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I think it was him reading from a teleprompter. That is some serious lost rapper cred there. 

Although I can no way endorse Apoca91 as their best, I like what you're getting at.  It's definitely the darkhorse.  Aging in the rap industry isn't easy.  I've caught Chuck here and there lowering his initial lofty standards.  Something he did do well was the narration of 'Stay Free-The Story of the Clash' podcast series - which was entirely excellent!

Yeah, I know the excitement of being a youngster and finding a 2 Live Crew tape.  I also remember secretly banging NWA on a walkman.

• Like 1