DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the "Will wasn't so mad about the infidelity" thing is a bit of a flawed gotcha because it's not like he slapped Chris Rock for making a joke about Jada's infidelity

Nah, Regina Hall made that joke earlier.

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Not sure if this has made the rounds here, but this (pretty on point comment concerning Jada boycotting the 2016 Oscars) perhaps suggests the animosity had long been boiling in King Dick.  

Rock's recovery post slap was terrific. 

I've despised Will Smith and his never-ending streak of sanitized oscar-bait melodrama for longer than I can remember.  This evening felt like a long coming culmination of sorts.  Or necessary reveal.  And not just of one corporately powerful actor behaving poorly.  

This was my first Oscar viewing in years.  Did so to hang with some gal pals who i knew would at least keep the conversation entertaining.  Not sure I exactly 'enjoyed' it, but this Will Smith breakdown made it all well worth the watch.  Also, kudos to the hosting trio.  I know very little of but very much dug Regina Hall's bits.  Sykes was a lil hit and miss, but Schumer (kinda forgot how funny she can be; hadn't seen her in awhile) carried her portion hilariously well.

Re: Best Picture
I only saw portions of CODA.  Knew it wasn't for me.  My Mother loved it tho.  My partner thought CODA was barely a good TV movie of the week.  She suggested it might be worthy of an Emmy in a daytime afterschool specials category.  That's what the trailer and scenes I watched indicated.  

Happy for the promotional push of the wonderful Murakami adaptation 'Drive My Car'.  And for the push of 'Power of the Dog'  - Campion's dig on Drip Costner's ridiculously slow dramatic intro was wonderful.  Expected (my favorite American movie of the year) Licorice Pizza's lack of a standard 'powerful message' to be greeted with zero trophies.  The technical awards sadly had no time, nor nominations, for the stunning (tho seemingly too fast for most) French Dispatch.  It says a lot about what this awards show looks to celebrate that a movie as good as Red Rocket isn't even in the discussion.  Nor the uneven but terrific Benedetta.  Oh, nice also to see Summer of Soul get the deserved push.  Have you all seen that beautiful concert film?

I just watched Drive My Car and Licorice Pizza this past week and absolutely loved both of them.  I also loved, loved, loved French Dispatch, but I'm a Wes Anderson fan boy, so I can get if others didn't love it.  You're right, though, that it's technically brilliant.  

Summer of Soul might by my overall favorite thing that I watched this past year, though.  I think some people may not give it a chance because they think it's just a performance film.  It is mostly performance (and goddamn, they are some amazing performances), but it's so much more.  Go watch it.  That goes for anyone who considers themselves a music fan or a fan of music history (or both).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yeah, this is the type of talk I think sucks. Back when it screened at Sundance it was received as the lovely and moving little crowd-pleaser that it is. Now that it's ascended to these heights, a lot of people are either going to dismiss it as meritless fluff (all the talk of a movie of the week or Hallmark movies) or lump it in with Crash or Green Book and the like. Neither is fair. It wouldn't have been my first choice for Best Picture, but the scathing takes people are going to have about the movie for the rest of time are going to do so much damage to the way people see it. Something else probably should have won, but that's basically every year, and now people are gonna be weird. 

Anyway, back to the Will Smith takes! 

If it was as strong a movie as you wish it to be this type of talk wouldn't be such an offense to you.  This movie will be seen by a lot of ppl because of this win - let's be okay with ppl making their own descisions whether they think it's great or good or garbage.

@LogDid you see Parallel Mothers?  I failed to mention it prior.  Completely agree on Summer of Soul.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I haven't seen Coda yet, but I will soon.

The best description I've heard re: disappointment at it winning best picture,  was calling it a very good movie, but lamenting that best picture should (ideally) reflect an achievement in filmmaking.  

I think it's a case of Oscar voters voting for the movie that has the best message and not necessarily voting for the best movie.

@HarryArchieGusI have not seen Parallel Mothers yet.  Good stuff?

Edited by Log

I la-la-love Pedro Almodovar!  It's not uncommon to see something new from him and wonder if it's my favorite of all favorites, that was the case with Parallel Mothers.  I suspect you might dig it.  I also urge you and everyone with a flavour for 'adult' films to check out Joachim Trier's wonderful 'Worst Person in the World'. 

Last night's show also reminded me that I need to see the animated feature 'Flee'.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I have literally never been more confused about people's reaction to something like this.  I was fully prepared to flood this thread with jokes about this, because I thought the entire situation was a hilarious example of how the world works sometimes.  It's not OK to slap someone, I get it, but it's also not OK to ridicule someone over a medical condition.  One thing lead to the other, and that's how life goes sometimes.  I don't think it says anything about either man's character, or has any societal implication, Chris Rock said something about Will Smith's wife and Will Smith smacked him for it.  That's kind of how situations like this work.  People get to define their boundaries.  

I wish I was as confused as you, but I'm not. People have been slowly turning on Smith for years and find the recent headlines about his relationship with Jada annoying. A part of them are weirdly happy to see him in a bad situation and will take the chance to condemn him as hard as possible regardless of whether or not they would have done the same in his shoes. The reaction here is the same I have seen elsewhere with everyone laughing but many looking to use it as an excuse to attack Smith for whatever wrong he committed against them via bad movies or dumb headlines people were tired of seeing.

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I wish I was as confused as you, but I'm not. People have been slowly turning on Smith for years and find the recent headlines about his relationship with Jada annoying. A part of them are weirdly happy to see him in a bad situation and will take the chance to condemn him as hard as possible regardless of whether or not they would have done the same in his shoes. The reaction here is the same I have seen elsewhere with everyone laughing but many looking to use it as an excuse to attack Smith for whatever wrong he committed against them via bad movies or dumb headlines people were tired of seeing.

I've detected some of this sentiment as well, but it doesn't explain all of it.  I honestly believe that people think that tolerance of disrespect is somehow noble, when it's not.  Allowing people to constantly treat you in a way you do not appreciate is just going to lead to depression and mental health issues.  Someone said something about, "well maybe I should just slap my boss if he disrespects me." If your boss constantly treats you in a way that you feel is beneath your dignity slapping him is a better choice than to let him  keep doing it.  You don't have to take it that far, but you can quit and get a better job or just a different job.  You don't have to put up with people's shit.  Fuck them.  You have the right to stand up and tell people to fuck themselves if they aren't treating you well.  And if they keep doing it, slap the shit out of them, and I bet you they'll stop. You do not have to put up with any kind of abuse from anybody towards anyone that you love and feel responsible to protect.  

The Academy has announced their investigating the incident.  

Producer Will Packer, showing he clearly understood what had happened had this as his initial reaction: "Welp … I said it wouldn’t be boring."  When he got called on that, he talked about being in pain or something.  Lots of people pointing out that his clueless response included not a single security guard or staffer even approaching Will after it happened.

• Like 1

Smith has apologized on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbqmaY1p7Pz/

Full text:

Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.  

I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us.

I am a work in progress.

Sincerely,

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, J.H. said:

Now I wonder if half the audience was watching on TV was like "WTF is GI Jane?"

I legit was talking with someone last night who assumed it was a movie Jada starred in and must have been a flop, they were really confused why Will was so mad about that.

• Haha 1