DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Nicole Kidman looks like she hasn't had a full meal in 3 years.  Get that woman a pizza or something

The biggest problem Will has is that everyone clearly saw him laughing his off when the joke happened.    Then he saw Jada's reaction and realized that I would rather get fucked up by the media then her.   Which unfortunately for him isn't the first time she did that.  Although basically Will slapped himself

Seriously, how different would this have played out if Jada marched up there instead of Will? She could've given Rock a piece of her mind without laying a single finger on him and Will could use the "my wife is a strong woman who can fight her own battles just fine" card.

• Like 3

I hope Will Smith never participates in a Roast, he'll be slappin' everyone. It doesn't help my personal view of the situation that I think both Will and Jada have been utterly insufferable in the last year or so and now I just know I am going to keep hearing about them for at least the next three months. I'm ready for Will Smith to cycle out of the headlines, not dominate them again. This is a classic hollywood move of figuring out a way to stay in everyone's minds, I guess in that way I have to respect it. That wasn't even a real slap, I have no idea what this situation even is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Seriously, how different would this have played out if Jada marched up there instead of Will? She could've given Rock a piece of her mind without laying a single finger on him and Will could use the "my wife is a strong woman who can fight her own battles just fine" card.

Actually Will would probably be called a worse form of a cuck because at least he defended his wife last night.  If what you mentioned happen then he would look even weaker.  He was basically in a no win situation regardless

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Actually Will would probably be called a worse form of a cuck because at least he defended his wife last night.  If what you mentioned happen then he would look even weaker.  He was basically in a no win situation regardless

I wouldn't say 'no win,' he could have done what everyone else has done at every awards show and every comedy show in human history and sat there. Then later do the "why didn't you defend me" "WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO" argument that is a staple in any good relationship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wouldn't say 'no win,' he could have done what everyone else has done at every awards show and every comedy show in human history and sat there. Then later do the "why didn't you defend me" "WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO" argument that is a staple in any good relationship.

Except, he's not in a relationship with the rest of human history, he has a relationship with her.  When you ask, "What was I supposed to do?," you know what you were supposed to do.  That's why I can't be mad that he did it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Except, he's not in a relationship with the rest of human history, he has a relationship with her.  When you ask, "What was I supposed to do?," you know what you were supposed to do.  That's why I can't be mad that he did it.

I'm certainly not mad he did it, I just think they are both insane and probably shouldn't be invited to future award shows.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

FO6Ib3EVsAEnvTa?format=jpg&name=small

FO5zyLEVUAEq-HQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Only the Kidman shot is legit, though not in relation at all to the Rock/Smith moment. The rest of those people weren't even there last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm certainly not mad he did it, I just think they are both insane and probably shouldn't be invited to future award shows.

He shouldn't be invited to future award shows?!?!?!  For slapping a man for talking shit about his wife?  This is the best thing that's ever happened to the Oscars.  We'd all be talking about something else if it wasn't for Will Smith.  The last time we talked about the Oscars this much it's because they couldn't get the most prestigious award right.  Will Smith has been the most likeable actor of the last 25 years and people act like he's some sort of pariah because he slapped somebody for making fun of his wife's medical condition.  If you were at a bar with your friends and your friend tells you he got into an altercation because some asshole made fun of his wife's medical condition, would you stop hanging out with him or would you understand?  How is this differnt?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

He shouldn't be invited to future award shows?!?!?!  For slapping a man for talking shit about his wife?  This is the best thing that's ever happened to the Oscars.  We'd all be talking about something else if it wasn't for Will Smith.  The last time we talked about the Oscars this much it's because they couldn't get the most prestigious award right.  Will Smith has been the most likeable actor of the last 25 years and people act like he's some sort of pariah because he slapped somebody for making fun of his wife's medical condition.  If you were at a bar with your friends and your friend tells you he got into an altercation because some asshole made fun of his wife's medical condition, would you stop hanging out with him or would you understand?  How is this differnt?

If you don't see the difference between a rando in a bar insulting someone, and a comedian reading a teleprompter with a joke he may not have even written at a nationally televised TV show where everyone was getting joked on, then I dunno what you tell you. I wish you the best.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If you don't see the difference between a rando in a bar insulting someone, and a comedian reading a teleprompter with a joke he may not have even written at a nationally televised TV show where everyone was getting joked on, then I dunno what you tell you. I wish you the best.

I guess I'm different.  I was raised by a man who once threatened the life of the pastor in the church for disrespecting my grandmother.  Either the behavior is a problem or it's not, it doesn't matter who it is or where it's at, it is up to you to decide what you will tolerate.  I can't fault anyone for enforcing that boundary.

Please don't make me have to put a word filter on c-u-c-k.  

Here are my thoughts in full: 

Rock was wrong for making a joke about a condition Jada can not control. 

Smith was wrong for escalating and making it physical. 

Once we go beyond that, this conversation becomes really problematic, really quickly.  

Do yourself a favor and mute "Will Smith", "Chris Rock", and "slap" on Twitter.  Or just stay away from it for the next week or so. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Having been in situations like that, I can undeniably say most people will pick the "stop hanging out" option, because they don't have the nerve to just ask people why things happen or the backbone to try to understand when someone has had enough of a dumb prick's bullshit.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It would be fun to imagine the list of people that Will Smith wouldn't have done that to. Chris Rock is an easy target (small stature, comedian that is unlikely to fight back). Also if he would have done anything if Jada had fake-laughed like he was until he saw her and suddenly realized she wasn't playing along so he couldn't either.

I would be willing to bet that he wouldn't have done the same to Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, or Ricky Gervais.  Or lots of other people.  Will's got history with Chris Rock so that probably played into it.

• Like 1