DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

Well folks are now wondering if the Oscars are going to make any changes this weekend as apparently the BAFTAs turned into a quasi super spreader event

Kenneth Branagh, Ciarán Hinds and "handful of others" associated with Belfast test positive post-BAFTAs. Same with Phil Lord and Chris Miller and the folks who worked on Mitchells vs the Machines

Per The Hollywood Reporter

THR has also learned that a number of the National Geographic team who traveled to London for their nominated doc The Rescue later tested positive.

Insiders at Hollywood studios, smaller indie companies with films nominated at the BAFTAs and various publicity teams all say they know people — talent, execs, PRs and journalists — who tested positive after attending the ceremony and accompanying parties. “Literally everyone I’m speaking to at the moment says they have it,” says one.

As many THR has spoken to have pointed out, there were a number of hot-ticket events that could have attributed to this spike, not to mention the travel involved. Alongside the BAFTA ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall on March 13, there was a BAFTA nominees party March 12, plus an AMPAS nominees party earlier that day (one person reportedly caught COVID having only attended the AMPAS event), and later that night a Chanel dinner. After the ceremony, an array of post-BAFTA parties were available to those who could get an invite, including the official BAFTA sit-down dinner and party at Grosvenor House, plus late night bashes laid on by Amazon, MGM, Warner Bros and Netflix. “One person I know who got it had been to seven different parties,” said one publicist, who has also contracted COVID-19 (although not believed to be linked to the BAFTA weekend).

It should be noted that every single BAFTA weekend event THR knows of required proof of a negative antigen test (that could be self-administered) for entry, with guests at the BAFTA ceremony literally being asked to show their tests as they got out of their cars. There was no mask requirement anywhere, however, although many of those working at Royal Albert Hall and on the red carpet wore masks.

I am not sure really anything will be done since the Oscars are already doing the following

The Oscars are going even further and requiring two PCR tests for press and attendees. Presenters and performers won’t have to be vaccinated, but will have to go through rigorous testing. Press will have to wear masks on the red carpet, as will attendees inside who are not sitting in the orchestra. Rows of seats are also being removed to provide social distancing.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, RIPPA said:

Well folks are now wondering if the Oscars are going to make any changes this weekend as apparently the BAFTAs turned into a quasi super spreader event

Kenneth Branagh, Ciarán Hinds and "handful of others" associated with Belfast test positive post-BAFTAs. Same with Phil Lord and Chris Miller and the folks who worked on Mitchells vs the Machines

Per The Hollywood Reporter

I am not sure really anything will be done since the Oscars are already doing the following

Going by the broadcast and red carpet, thise rules apparently were just suggestions.

Much better than last years shit show, but the producers need to be quicker with the hook playing people off, and there should be a rule that if more than one person talks, the microphone automatically cuts off.

36 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Much better than last years shit show, but the producers need to be quicker with the hook playing people off, and there should be a rule that if more than one person talks, the microphone automatically cuts off.

And then WTF-ever just happened with Chris Rock and Will Smith. 

• Like 1

Will Smith was just still stuck in "method" apparently. That was great TV. Fuck him and that speech.

The best thing that happened watching this show was when the best supporting actor winner started giving his speech and my nephew cracked," Best thing is they can't play him off. They're going to need to get the big hook."

• Haha 1

Also, these assholes need to start cutting off the unfunny as hell skits and stop playing people off stage during speeches. That shit is so disrespectful.

And the way they pushed these categories off screen should be nearly as embarrassing as the Smith/Rock thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have this weird society where people think you can say something that'll get you slapped if you say it to someone's face yet it is cool to say it on tv. Will Smith shouldn't have done that... but if you make fun of someone's wife's condition in front of both of them and you take a shot I ain't gonna cry for you. Hopefully they both learn something from this.

Sucks as I like both of them ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

This In Memoriam is pretty bad, how hard is it to just play some sad music and show clips of the deceased. 

It's the most disrespectful piece of shit I've seen in a long time.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, these assholes need to start cutting off the unfunny as hell skits and stop playing people off stage during speeches. That shit is so disrespectful.

And the way they pushed these categories off screen should be nearly as embarrassing as the Smith/Rock thing.

I like the edited speeches, but it's not a hill I'll die on. The producer for this piece of shit should never work again. Until reading this thread(I watched on a slight DVR pause delay) I thought the rock smith was a work, withnthe long shot right before it.