DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 12/10/2021

I was skeptical of Hook, but goddamn that was a perfect segment.  His amateur/judo offense all looked great and Taz being the proud papa on commentary and extolling his athletic background between naming judo throws ruled.

I thought the women's match was kind of whatever, but I love the way Bunny sells big moves.  The way she went blank-faced and then went straight over off the Tay-KO was awesome.

• Like 3

OK. Listen. The combined billed weight of The Lucha Brothers is a disgustingly scrawny 370 pounds. Not even 200 pounds per brother. FTR, on the other hand, weigh in at a manly combined billed 446 pounds! Almost 100 kilos each. So, the result of this match is a forgone conclusion, right? Nope! What the hell, AEW?

At least they got the women's match right, with Nyla being billed as having 40-plus pounds on Anna. 

Dang. Hook looked pretty good in there. Some of the credit for that probably belongs to Fuego, who bumped and sold really well for Hook's offense... which, ahem, cough, is the only acceptable role for a normal-sized human being inside a pro wrestling ring. 

Speaking of ordinary-sized regular human beings: Two such persons in the main event to set up another match down the road with another sub-190-pound pip-squeak? With all of their friends and cronies with (here comes the up-to-date cultural reference!) buggy-whip arms hanging around ringside. What gives? Little dudes fighting little dudes is OK for a mid-card comedy match once in a while, maybe... but the main event of a pro wrestling TV show?? Good thing I had my fainting couch cleaned last week. 

It's like AEW thinks that looks, charm, talent, charisma, athleticism, ring savvy, and all of those other kinds of "icing" are more important than the "cake" (as in beef-cake) (which is size and muscularity). Some of those guys have potential, though, if they'd just get on dangerous doses of anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin. selective androgen receptor modulators, creatine, and insulin, and start injecting synthol into their lats, traps, bis, tris, pecs, delts, rhomboids, and so on... 

Seriously, I am hoping Hook looks just as good bumping and selling as he did on offense. You know, then just get him on the gas to fill him out and you've got a superduperstar in the making. 

Edited by Gordberg
I misspelled "chorionic gonadotropin" and to be honest I am still not sure I got it right.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Solid debut from Hook.  Strikes much better than his old man did, knows how to exploit his length for the judo and the suplexes, really does look like he's been doing that all his life.  Mad love to Fuego for bumping big, selling large, and especially for his "what the fuck do I do with this guy?" exasperation as he struggled to crack the jiujutsu code and failed.  Fuego looked totally bewildered about how a guy taller than he was could be just as fast and it was great.  Hook using the Tazmission was just gravy.

Loved the ladies trios math.  There should totally be an AEW Women's Tag finals where TayJay and FordBunny beat the living shit out of each other.

FTR vs Luchas was really good, but I am thinking that the Luchas need to drop the straps to someone else soon.  I like FTR being douchebags and taking their frustrations out on Sting and Darby to set up something else on Winter Is Coming.

Adam Cole is fucking awesome.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

OK. Listen. The combined billed weight of The Lucha Brothers is a disgustingly scrawny 370 pounds. Not even 200 pounds per brother. FTR, on the other hand, weigh in at a manly combined billed 446 pounds! Almost 100 kilos each. So, the result of this match is a forgone conclusion, right? Nope! What the hell, AEW?

To be fair Rey Fenix was out their reteniendo some goddamned agua. I don't know if he's finally earned his 30-something lucha libre roid-gut or if the familial Husky Gene that hit Penta so young has kicked in. Either way, anything that's gonna make it harder for him to flip over the top rope onto his fucking tailbone is probably good for his career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Solid debut from Hook.  Strikes much better than his old man did, knows how to exploit his length for the judo and the suplexes, really does look like he's been doing that all his life.  Mad love to Fuego for bumping big, selling large, and especially for his "what the fuck do I do with this guy" exasperation as he struggled to crack the jiujutsu code and failed.  Fuego looked totally bewildered about how a guy taller than he was could be just as fast as he was and it was totally great.  Hook using the Tazmission was just gravy.

Loved the ladies trios math.  There should totally be an AEW Women's Tag finals where TayJay and FordBunny beat the living shit out of each other.

FTR vs Luchas was really good, but I am thinking that the Luchas need to drop the straps to someone else soon.  I like FTR being douchebags and taking their frustrations out on Sting and Darby to set up something else on Winter Is Coming.

Adam Cole is fucking awesome.

He throws his clothesline just like Taz did, which is weirdly heartwarming to me.

• Like 5

I was enjoying the Hook memes for what they were, but no lie, that kid is a fucking star. A little surprised that FTR did not win the titles here, but do not mind the Lucha Brothers holding on, as I want to see them have a couple of more bangers before dropping the belts (and glad that the last two FTR matches have been much better, and really looking forward to the match against Jurassic Express that they are builiding).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

At least they got the women's match right, with Nyla being billed as having 40-plus pounds on Anna. 

Dang. Hook looked pretty good in there. Some of the credit for that probably belongs to Fuego, who bumped and sold really well for Hook's offense... which, ahem, cough, is the only acceptable role for a normal-sized human being inside a pro wrestling ring. 

Speaking of ordinary-sized regular human beings: Two such persons in the main event to set up another match down the road with another sub-190-pound pip-squeak? With all of their friends and cronies with (here comes the up-to-date cultural reference!) buggy-whip arms hanging around ringside. What gives? Little dudes fighting little dudes is OK for a mid-card comedy match once in a while, maybe... but the main event of a pro wrestling TV show?? Good thing I had my fainting couch cleaned last week. 

It's like AEW thinks that looks, charm, talent, charisma, athleticism, ring savvy, and all of those other kinds of "icing" are more important than the "cake" (as in beef-cake) (which is size and muscularity). Some of those guys have potential, though, if they'd just get on dangerous doses of anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, human chorioninc gonadotropin. selective androgen receptor modulators, creatine, and insulin, and start injecting synthol into their lats, traps, bis, tris, pecs, delts, rhomboids, and so on... 

Seriously, I am hoping Hook looks just as good bumping and selling as he did on offense. You know, then just get him on the gas to fill him out and you've got a superduperstar in the making. 

You’re learning. Good. 

Hook looks promising. Loved the walk all the way around the ring. Loved the camera they chose with his back turned in the corner. Loved him immediately leaving the ring after the win. The physicality in the ring shows a lot of potential and the presentation is right. He has a chance to turn this meme heat into something worthwhile, and he’s thankfully in an environment where he won’t be stifled for getting over. Excited to see how he handles something more competitive, but that’s a down the road issue. 

Have we heard Hook speak before? I can’t recall. Not that we need to hear much if any. 

Happy for FTR to move onto another team. If anyone has a gif of Cash hitting the Gordy bomb on Fenix, that’d be appreciated. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Have we heard Hook speak before? I can’t recall.

Yeah, he's whistled while doing the cutthroat thing and he gave a one word answer once when Taz asked him a rhetorical question. Hopefully he doesn't speak for at least another year.

Match was 100% perfect for what it was. He looked incredible in pretty much everything he did, he is able to do slick grappling while still not giving a single fuck. His hair stayed in place the entire match. He walked out without getting his hand raised and yeah the choke release matching the beat drop has to stay. Only thing I didn't like was redrum. El Camino is a sick name for the crotch lift suplex. 

Maybe I'll watch the rest of the show but I don't feel particularly inclined tonight. I have seen what I have wanted to see. 

God, it was worth the wait.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

FTR/Lucha Bros was good stuff. A little hurt by the feeling there was no chance of a title change on a taped show but some of the near falls were still pretty great. Women's trios was fun.

Hook was awesome. Love the superstar entrance. 

• Like 4

Just going to pile on with all the HOOK~! love. Judo offense looked good, Fuego did a good job making him look good. Looked like Hook tried to get Fuego up a little higher when he countered the Tornado DDT but couldn't quite get Fuego up over his head, other than that everything ruled. I dunno about calling his finisher the Redrum though. Hookmission? Some kind of potato chip based pun? Whatever, send me Hook every week.

Edited by Sammo~!
Pronouns, pal!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Just going to pile on with all the HOOK~! love. Judo offense looked good, Fuego did a good job making him look good. Looked like Hook tried to get Fuego up a little higher when he countered the Tornado DDT but couldn't quite get Fuego up over his head, other than that everything ruled. I dunno about calling his finisher the Redrum though. Hookmission? Some kind of potato chip based pun? Whatever, send me Hook every week.

Bait meets Hook.

Hook, Line and Sinker.

• Haha 1