DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Echoing the love for Jamie Hayter, that brainbusta - backbreaker combo wombo, looked like she killed her. It was amazing. Then she takes the Queen of all bumps on that avalanche crucifix. What a woman.

Me trying to work out the face/heel alignments in the battle royal:

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Also, let's put a fine point on this: Taz' big tease, his nuclear option of retaliation after Dante burned him ... was to have Hook wrestle Fuego on Friday.

So you’re saying you think he went too far? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, A_K said:

I think they probably cheered because they know Pro Wrestling isn’t real and because MJF is legitimately an over the top witty dude who goes to the absolute max in his theatrical, fictional character presentation and should be respected for it. How a viewer can be into a 100 lb adult woman running around in a tutu winning against a 170 lb competitor by literally jumping on them after just receiving finisher-impact-after-finisher-impact style moves but turn their nose at that mayhem style character work of MJF being conflicted with being the Dante-saving-hero in his hometown only to run in and do what his opportunist POS character does best .. well to each viewer their own theatre. This is what it would of been like with Triple H in his Game  late 90s era returning to New Hampshire / Connecticut. Even a heel has to have a home.

That was one of the most insane run on sentences I’ve ever seen.

And I hate when people complain that some workers don’t look like they can hurt other workers…

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I don't get this "OMG Punk is a face and heeled on the crowd" nonsense. There is precedence. Bret Hart was a super babyface in 1997 and had to heel it up in plenty hostile towns. I was waiting for Punk to say that if he was going to give New York an enema, he'd stick the hose right there, in Long Island lol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I don't get this "OMG Punk is a face and heeled on the crowd" nonsense. There is precedence. Bret Hart was a super babyface in 1997 and had to heel it up in plenty hostile towns. I was waiting for Punk to say that if he was going to give New York an enema, he'd stick the hose right there, in Long Island lol

Being from Jersey, I've had this resentment toward Long Island that for some strange reason people from other parts of the country take their stereotypes and apply them to us. So last night I was totally with Punk fucking letting them know.

ANYWAY!

Riho vs. Hayer and Danielson vs. Silver were both fantastic. Thought it was interesting that Danielson is still coming out of the face tunnel. Really curious where this Dante/Team Taz thing is going too, like did MJF pay him off to help him out only to betray him? So now does Dante have Lio and Taz pissed off at him? Is Darius back soon? 

If wrestling doesn't work out, Julia Hart really needs to go into horror movies with that scream. Malakai at least had an agenda going after Cody so feels like the Blondes are definitely a step down, ala MJF having that little beef with Kid Pillman after the Jericho promo ended.

I just want good things for Dutch Satan =( 

Edited by Nineteen
Hayter not Britt*
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Over 7.6 million folks live on the Island, the generalizations on here are fucking gross. I’m straightedge, I’m an ally, & I don’t appreciate being lumped in with shitheads my friends and I shouted down all night. 

Punk coming out to MJFs music was a heel move & absolutely set the tone. I’m a huge Islanders fan & cheered for Punk anyway.

A lot of folks were bummed because Texas is getting all the matches we we’re hoping for. We also didn’t get a CM Punk match either and the show at Arthur Ashe was just Godlike too.

All the same Hayter is fucking amazing, loved her match so much.

I’m looking forward to rewatching the show during my workout tomorrow morning as the audio on all the interviews was horrible and we couldn’t hear shit.

Rampage was a fucking banger too!

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Over 7.6 million folks live on the Island, the generalizations on here are fucking gross. I’m straightedge, I’m an ally, & I don’t appreciate being lumped in with shitheads my friends and I shouted down all night. 

Punk coming out to MJFs music was a heel move & absolutely set the tone. I’m a huge Islanders fan & cheered for Punk anyway.

A lot of folks were bummed because Texas is getting all the matches we we’re hoping for. We also didn’t get a CM Punk match either and the show at Arthur Ashe was just Godlike too.

All the same Hayter is fucking amazing, loved her match so much.

I’m looking forward to rewatching the show during my workout tomorrow morning as the audio on all the interviews was horrible and we couldn’t hear shit.

Rampage was a fucking banger too!

Glad you had a good time! ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caley said:

They hyped that MJF Long Island return all week and then did the "heel" (in this case face, but they knew he was going to get a heel reaction) walking out to the wrong music, never had MJF come back on him, or even speak in front of the audience

Well, technically

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Thanks 2

Finally watched, without spoilers (yay), loved most of the show:

- while I’m so tired of the 15 minute yapfest opening, what I liked about this was it seemed to me like Punk was aping MJF’s promos and mocking him that way. Lots of cheap heat. I’m already kind of over Punk’s promos. Tangential: the kids I knew from Long Island in the 80s wouldn’t have cheered for some rich snob guy wearing Burberry.

- battle royal was a huge letdown except the brief Wardlow-Hobbs face off and the Martin swerve (which I love because I didn’t like him with Taz, not because it makes sense). Also in general they gave a nice rub to Dante there.

- 8-man tag was shockingly good. Caster’s rap was great. Pillman looked serviceable and did a good face in peril. I still don’t really get Jungle Boy, and I’ve gone from wanting to see what Luchasaurus can do to feeling like I’ve seen it all and I’m over it.

- Young Bucks vs Best Chaos was fantastic. Rocky Romero is the shit. I can see where the complaints about the Bucks not selling properly but they’re such great shitheels and were really really on. You could tell they all had wrestled a lot and were familiar/comfortable. More of this please.I can’t speak to the aftermath as I don’t know what it’s all about despite mildly drunk late night NJPW watches a few years back.

- BUNNY on my tv

- Page and Sky do have a point about Sammy not defending the belt much...

- Holy hell was that women’s match incredible. I marked out a bunch. Hayter fluidly took some crazy moves for her size. Riho sold like a rag doll and I swear I thought that backbreaker snapped her neck. Story worked for me.

- Danielson and Silver beat the shit out of each other. Just laid in the chops and kicks and uppercuts. The announcers kind of missed that Silver used his “rana power bomb reversal” on what looked like a third missile drop kick, but oh well. They’ve done a fantastic job of building to this Page/Danielson main event, it’s going to be a lava hot crowd.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hammerva said:

If this feud is about Black vs Pillman, the biggest problem is that Pillman has shown absolutely no fire at all.  He is stuck in rookie year NWA/WCW mode.   When Max Caster was making sexual references to Julia he just ignore them.   When MJF called his mom a meth head he tried to get pissed but still played like it was just a Dark match with very little hate.    

If they brought in Kevin Sullivan as an evil mentor which I think they were trying to do in MLW maybe it could work.  But Pillman needs a major character upgrade right now

After seeing Sullivan in ROH however long ago it was doing that awful angle with Steve Corino, I have no desire to see him doing weekly promos again.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Bret's whole thing was I'm a Canadian hero. Canada agreed. The US turned on him. Then he continued doing what he'd always done, being a Canadian hero. He was just shitty to the US fans that turned on him. While I appreciate that this is a situation that could have evolved down that same path... this would be like if Raw was in Texas the night after Survivor Series 1996 happened. And he (still a full on babyface) came out to Austin's music and started shitting on the state of Texas for no real reason. This is the opposite of the Bret thing. Punk didn't come out doing the same thing's he's always been doing. He came out mocking the audience. With no turn from the audience on him to justify it. He just came out doing heel music shtick and said "he's your guy?" 30,000 times.

I guess I'm not doing a good job conveying what's annoying to me about the way it was done. It felt out of character to change Punk's actions. He hasn't come out and shit on any other crowd. He didn't shit on Arthur Ashe. He hasn't come out to anyone's music like a heel. I love the home town pushes for guys. I just want it to be consistent with how the characters are being portrayed everywhere. Let MJF be cheered. Let Punk be booed. Don't send Punk out there with a whole new presentation just because you're in a different city. Let Punk be Punk. If the crowd turns on him cool. If they don't cool. Just don't send him out there to try and force it is my thing.

Why couldn't Punk have had a match with Sean Spears? Get to the same destination you want just organically through Punk wrestling the home town guy's boy. Punk ain't out there shitting on a crowd of nowhere. Then if the crowd does turn on him and cheer Spears through association, there's a catalyst for him to talk later and be salty with that audience. A reason. A purpose. They skipped the foundation in logic to change Punk's actions.

4 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I dunno, man. One guy yelled out a slur. Seems like rock solid proof that everyone in the arena and by extension everyone in the surrounding geographical area is also a hateful homophobic bigot. Maybe it's possible to argue that any time you get 9000+ people together there are inevitably going to be at some assholes in the crowd, but I think it's a lot easier just to blindly pass judgement. 

Luckily, I live in Japan. I'm quite happy to be lumped in with the "knowledgeable, respectful pro wrestling fans" stereotype. Unless I go to a joshi show. In that case I'm probably getting lumped in with the "creepy perverts" stereotype instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, Dog said:

Also, let's put a fine point on this: Taz' big tease, his nuclear option of retaliation after Dante burned him ... was to have Hook wrestle Fuego on Friday.

Let's not begrudge Taz for a little villainous moustache twirling.  He is sending his son out for a little "This Is What Will Happen To You" exhibition to send a message to Dante.

21 hours ago, A_K said:

How a viewer can be into a 100 lb adult woman running around in a tutu winning against a 170 lb competitor by literally jumping on them after just receiving finisher-impact-after-finisher-impact style moves but turn their nose at that mayhem style character work of MJF being conflicted with being the Dante-saving-hero in his hometown only to run in and do what his opportunist POS character does best .. well to each viewer their own theatre. 

Riho is a former AEW World Champion and holds singles victories over Shida and Nyla Rose (former AEW Womens Champions) and Serena Deeb (former NWA Womens Champion). 

I loved Jamie's match on Wednesday and I think she is an awesome worker but from a booking perspective, who is Hayter that she should beat the former champ and current #1 Contender while Riho is building momentum and going into a title match against Britt Baker... who has also lost to Riho in the past?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Let's not begrudge Taz for a little villainous moustache twirling.  He is sending his son out for a little "This Is What Will Happen To You" exhibition to send a message to Dante.

Like duh. "Look what you've made me do." *nuclear option*

54 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I need to know how much pro wrestling the "Riho is unrealistic" people watch.  There's only like 40-50 pounds between her and Hayter. Hogan/Andre must have been unrealistic as fuck and totally unwatchable to these dudes.

Pardon my math nerdery, but surely the weight ratio is more important than the weight difference? Without looking up the numbers, I'd expect Hayter::Riho and Andre::Hogan to be comparable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Pardon my math nerdery, but surely the weight ratio is more important than the weight difference? Without looking up the numbers, I'd expect Hayter::Riho and Andre::Hogan to be comparable.

LOL good point!  But the point stands, as in both cases, the smaller wrestler is 65-70% of the bigger wrestler's bodyweight. 

Note: With the caveat being I don't buy Wikipedia's assertion that Hayter is 172 pounds.  Nyla is billed at 185 on Wikipedia and no way are they close.

• Thanks 1

As long as we're talking math/physics as it relates to Riho/Hayter, Force = Mass * Acceleration. Hayter, as the taller stronger person has more acceleration in her moves due to height and strength, but also has more mass when she's the one taking the moves.

And Riho didn't just beat her with the double knees to the face (which, if applied correctly, would easily KO someone regardless of the size of the person taking the move). There had already been a snap dragon suplex, a northern lights suplex, and that second rope crucifix move. On the other hand, Hayter had also crushed her with a gnarly brainbuster and that brutal backbreaker.

Also, Riho is the same relative size and build in the women's division as Jungle Boy is in the men's, and yet no one questions his finisher.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3

It's wrestling, so you can't do math. You get weirdo equations that factor in things like "pro wrestling acumen" and "fighting spirit." At the end of the day, Riho hit hard and effectively from believable angles and survived a shit ton of stuff because she is incredibly resilient. She wasn't exactly Hurricane Helms choke-slamming Hayter here.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Here ya go.

To continue with the Hulk/Andre analogies, in a few years Riho will need to give interviews where she says that she tore her lat muscles doing this, and that Hayter passed away a few days later, God Bless her.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1