DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Another white hot crowd, another great pro wrestling TV show... 

And not only really very very good pro wrestling up and down the card, but also top notch Sports Entertainment during the Royale with Cheese.

Wasn't expecting the crowd to boo Punk and cheer MJF, even in Lon Gisland. That genuinely caught me by surprise (and entertained me).

Cody vs Sammy makes sense and should be excellent. Also: Cody's arm! Yikes!

Loved seeing Hungee in the main event! Bryan's selling was so good. 

Love seeing Rocky in AEW, and the return of SUE! was maybe my favourite thing on the entire show. And the Ropongi Vice theme to top it all off!!

This is going to sound like I'm being facetious, but I am genuinely looking forward to reading about whatever the various haters and nit-pickers find to complain about this week. I enjoy all of this so much, it's sometime really interesting to compare how other people experience it. 

Edit: @just drew got my back! I don't agree with any of it, but I can see where it's coming from. 

Maybe someone can complain about the Bucks wearing pink and black to the ring? No respect for tradition, those guys! Killing the business. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 7

Just now, Dog said:

Too bad the same can't be said of his lawyers.

I mean it was always in the cards but I'm impressed they got Dante his orange and black tights just for the swerve. Well played.

Commentary has more flow with Taz as he and Tony chip in and add the colour while Excalibur can focus on being a pbp guy. 

• Like 8

Just now, Dog said:

I think the crowd kind of sucked, honestly. It's like they were spent after responding to Punk's 127 Islanders slams.

Yeah I was disappointed. They popped for parts of the battle royal and the Bucks tag but were pretty mild for the rest and straight up shit for the women's match. 

Oh I forgot to mention Nyla with the "surprise, bitch" line. Good stuff. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

This is going to sound like I'm being facetious, but I am genuinely looking forward to reading about whatever the various haters and nit-pickers find to complain about this week. I enjoy all of this so much, it's sometime really interesting to compare how other people experience it. 

Maybe complain about the Bucks wearing pink and black to the ring? No respect for tradition, those guys! Killing the business. 

Their gear is fine, but my phone was distracting me for the majority of their match so I can't really nit-pick. Hope Knox doesn't sue for gimmick infringement. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

Another white hot crowd, another great pro wrestling TV show... 

And not only really very very good pro wrestling up and down the card, but also top notch Sports Entertainment during the Royale with Cheese.

Wasn't expecting the crowd to boo Punk and cheer MJF, even in Lon Gisland. That genuinely caught me by surprise (and entertained me).

Cody vs Sammy makes sense and should be excellent. Also: Cody's arm! Yikes!

Loved seeing Hungee in the main event! Bryan's selling was so good. 

Love seeing Rocky in AEW, and the return of SUE! was maybe my favourite thing on the entire show. And the Ropongi Vice theme to top it all off!!

Edit: @just drew got my back! I don't agree with any of it, but I can see where it's coming from. 

Maybe someone can complain about the Bucks wearing pink and black to the ring? No respect for tradition, those guys! Killing the business. 

I thought there was a lot more good than bad. I even enjoyed the Bucks match tonight. I really, REALLY think a lot of my problem with them was how oversaturated the tv show was with their smirky, inside baseball bullshit. 

I forgot to shout out Bryan/Silver. Holy shit was that a dope-ass pro wrestling match. Danielson has absolutely made stars of four Dark Order guys (even though they kind of already were). 

• Like 6

Absolutely great episode up until the penultimate match - probably the hottest first hour theyve done. The crowd should have shit on that silliness of Hayter cracking near falls on this 100 lb 5 "1 tiny thing. Have the cosplay child ballerina run a surprise 'fall if you must, sure, but don't completely neuter your monster heel in the process by having every bomb at disposal kicked out of. The dynamic of Danielson being a heel who wins cleanly against an entire faction arrayed against him and will have his injury as a result presumably parlayed into his loss to Hangman is soft and does nothing for Page, the first invisible world champion they've had.

Battle Royal was superb. Lio Rush is genuinely unique - just keep him off the mic. The whole MJF theater was majestic. Punk was a little flat & basic in his insults during the opening but still great energy there. Shame they fucked up the Kingston run in and whatever he was trying to say. If Rhodes is actually going to turn heel now then great; its a shame he can't deal in understatement and still needs to resort to on-the-nose antics ("Oh boy what a swerve, he was going to walk through the heel tunnel!") and hopefully this storyline is him solo without his ensemble of lame sidekicks, but its a step in the right direction. Cutler running around in what looks like a velour tracksuit spraying people in the eyes continues to be A.

A tale of two hours. Punk's promo was one of the worst I've ever seen him cut and the Battle Royal is just a Being MJF Contest at this point. I know they're setting up a break in the pattern but why Dante? Team Taz vs. Dante & Lio was handled really well and Spears' stooging was aces though.

Blue Riho is the One True Riho. Jamie Hayter's shit looked so good and she made Riho's shit look so good, I am just about entirely convinced she's Mexican. Hayter bases like some really good lucha guy I don't watch enough of. Let's say Averno. That was a 100 point performance. 

HOOKLYN ZOO

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

I'm gonna echo the love for Hayter, she was awesome tonight. If Serena and Shida is going to be more of a TBS division focus, then I hope they consider Hayter as a candidate to take the title off of Britt when she eventually turns. It's like she and Wardlow are in the slowest race ever.

• Like 2

Does Hook do the katahajime? He put punk in the dragon sleeper and it looked great. Looking forward to this as much if not more than Danielson and Hangmin. 

BTW, they should probably have Danielson win and run Punk and Danielson at Wrigley. Sorry Hangmin. Dragon can be your next chase. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Punk/Danielson would sell a shitload of PPVs if they did it at Revolution in March.

But I don’t think Hangman loses next week. I really, really, really want heel Punk versus babyface Hangman. Give me what I want!

So Jamie Hayter is the best wrestler in AEW?  That match was fucking balls out.  Way to utilize the teeniness of Riho but ragdolling her all over the ring to set up her comeback.  The rest of the show was a wild wad of sloppy fun.  The 8 man was fucking insane.  The Bucks match was insane.  INSANE!  Jamie Hayter should take the belt off Hangman.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If they're determined (as they clearly are) to manufacture an environment for unambiguous hometown support for MJF, the Punk promo teed MJF's entrance up perfectly. If people didn't care for some of the content, blame the Islanders. 

I really like the way AEW incorporates guys hometowns into the show, it's been happening a lot lately but it's somehow not inorganic feeling or anything. And on another level, it seems to me like such a stupidly obvious thing to do to build a market. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Punk/Danielson would sell a shitload of PPVs if they did it at Revolution in March.

Ew they booked Orlando for Revolution and it's a week later than normal. Yeah Hangman is retaining. I know Cody mentioned Wrigley and dickhead Danielson vs. Hometown hero Punk is the match to do it but I guess if it happens it'll happen later. 

So it would seem Hayt Club is growing. Let the Hayt flow through you. She may be better than Rosa in the ring. Let her cut some promos during the Britt breakup and see how she can handle it. When she's spoken so far she's done well. 

• Like 3