DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not much of a Riho fan, but if she started leaning heavily into Hogan-esque cosplay and match structure, Riho-ing Up out of finishers and then crushing opponents' faces with a top-rope leg drop, I wouldn't object!

• Like 4

One aspect of the layout of that match that I really liked was Riho's dragon suplex.  She went for it once and Hayter powered out.  The second try, she hit it after dodging a turnbuckle move, so she had Hayter stunned.  Even then, she didn't get her fingers locked.  That shit was perfect. 

I don't see anyone here bitching about Darby Allin beating guys twice his size regularly and his offense is very similar to Riho's -- just throw your tiny body at them over and over.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

One aspect of the layout of that match that I really liked was Riho's dragon suplex.  She went for it once and Hayter powered out.  They second time, she hit it after dodging a turnbuckle move, so she had Hayter stunned.  Even then, she didn't get her fingers locked.  That shit was perfect. 

That's the house style. I haven't watched a lot of WWE the last 2-3 years. Is that the house style there too? I know it's something a guy like Cesaro works into his matches a lot but I'm not sure if multiple tries/entry points is such a thing over there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't see anyone here bitching about Darby Allin beating guys twice his size regularly and his offense is very similar to Riho's -- just throw your tiny body at them over and over.

It's the Cornette Effect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's wrestling, so you can't do math. You get weirdo equations that factor in things like "pro wrestling acumen" and "fighting spirit." At the end of the day, Riho hit hard and effectively from believable angles and survived a shit ton of stuff because she is incredibly resilient. She wasn't exactly Hurricane Helms choke-slamming Hayter here.

Wrasslin' math and MMAth are about as theoretical as it gets.  For every solid thing you throw into the equation like height, agility, strength and size, you have supermassive black hole shit like the "experience edge" , "momentum," and "the will to fight" that fucks up the physics.

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The Grand Applied Face Paint Theory aka The Road Warrior Effect clearly states the belief that face paint magnifies fighting spirit by a magnitude of three.

This is, of course, hypothetical.  There is a similar theory involving the wearing of masks, I think.

Wearing face paint under a mask may be the pro wrestling equivalent of dividing by zero.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

MMA has done far, far more harm than good to pro wrestling.

It used to help pro wrestling when it would get over a submission or finisher.  I think the last one was the Shining Wizard.  So yes, you are correct.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Grand Applied Face Paint Theory aka The Road Warrior Effect clearly states the belief that face paint magnifies fighting spirit by a magnitude of three.

But Darby only paints half his face, so for him it should only double. But empirically his fighting spirit appears to be off the charts! Clearly more research is needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've mentioned that misogyny often plays a role in why people hold women to higher or more unrealistic standards in the past, and gotten yelled at about it being a catch-all before, so I'd just like to point out that Riho's offense being called unrealistic while Darby Allin's being acceptable is...

... well...

... misogyny.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

To be fair, Darby mostly relies on speed and pure recklessness for his offense. He's a good technical wrestler too, but he's maybe the fastest guy I've seen in the ring and he uses his own body as a weapon.

I don't really recall Riho doing the same stuff. If you were to assign a special attribute to what makes Riho work, it's not that she wrestles like Darby, it's that she has more heart than anyone else in the division.  That's what I liked about her so much in her matches against Nyla and others.

I don't see why it's now an issue with Riho after that match against Hayter and it wasn't against Nyla Rose. I hesitate to say that's misogyny. Well, maybe it is, but it's the same dumb size argument that's persisted for way too fucking long. I still remember people saying Brock vs Punk or Bryan wouldn't be good because of the size difference, which is ridiculous. If you're a good worker you can, well, make anything work. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

But Darby only paints half his face, so for him it should only double. But empirically his fighting spirit appears to be off the charts! Clearly more research is needed.

We will publish our findings in the Rev. Ray Duffy Big Book of Wrestling.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

They seemingly have like a dozen people on the roster who can hit picture-perfect brainbusters on the regular, can at least one of them just use it as a dang finish already

Once that happens, everyone else should do it less though…

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

They seemingly have like a dozen people on the roster who can hit picture-perfect brainbusters on the regular, can at least one of them just use it as a dang finish already

It kinda is Dax’s finisher, I’m sure he’s ended a few tag/singles matches with it.