DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Also - I look forward to the debut of Julia (Black)Hart and the rest of Malakai’s House of Black stable. Hopefully she’s actually evil looking and whatnot, not some Harley Quinn/Chucky mashup that’s marketed to older men who like lollis. Not hard to do, but Malakai’s character is already x100 better than The Fiend, so I have faith (although Funhouse Wyatt was… amusing).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, just drew said:

What a weird ass show. The first half was all messed up from the face-heel dynamic being all shitty.

Not jumping on you specifically, but I want to jump off this point.

Daniel Bryan is presenting as a "heel" and coming out of the "face" tunnel to face fellow "babyface" John Silver in hour two while he gets ready to challenge Hangman Page. "Face" CM Punk is aggressively presenting as "heel" to the Long Island crowd and challenging them to fight him a few weeks after he basically called one of the most sympathetic "faces" on the roster an underachieving slob. The most popular competitor in the women's division is the very favourably received "heel" Britt Baker. Eddie Kingston remains a "babyface" after petulantly stepping to the #1 "face" in the company. Who even knows what Malakai Black is, I've never seen him come out of a tunnel or give a reasonable explanation for anything he's ever done. And I'll ask everyone to take my usual Codymania as read and just fill in the blanks on what are several obvious points I'd add to my case. 

Which is all to say that while heel/face dynamics have an important place in wrestling and I love them oh so much (and most of AEW's roster adheres to them), I suspect a good deal of AEW's marquee names have a desire to exist on a different plane than that. There are quite a few wrestlers on this roster for who it would probably do people good to disabuse themselves of notions regarding appropriate face/heel dynamics. There is a desire for fluidity here that I think a lot of fans are unprepared for. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5

I enjoyed Punk leaning into the cheap heel schtick for the Long Island crowd.

Taz seemed like he was having a good time tonight, I enjoyed his commentary.

I'm really cold on the interviews constantly getting interrupted after like 10 seconds. It's gotten tiresome.

I'm also really cold on Malakai Black now. So much so I feel like AEW sabotaged him by dragging out the Cody feud. It's done permanent damage seems like. That black mist segment was so awkward. Griff Garrison could not have looked more clueless or useless there. 

I think the build to Danielson/Hangman has worked fairly well up to this point. So there's that at least.

If you ever wonder how thirsty wrestling fans are, read the fantasy booking of Julia Hart after the mist spot.   ?

So we are going straight to Danielson vs Page without actually finishing the Dark Order gauntlet?  Or did I miss those Bryan vs Stu Grayson & 10 matches?   

Edited by hammerva

Just through the battle royal. I kind of think they did a little too much at the end there. If you want one symbol of that, it was the camera basically missing Dante ripping off the FTR armband. Hard not to smile at MJF's antics overall. In the grand scheme it won't matter, but I probably would have ended things with MJF shaking Dante's hand and giving him the weirdo backwards rub (with Excalibur/Tony primarily talking it up that MJF was being so nice because he made it easy for him when it had been a 2 on 1 situation) and have Starks attack Dante backstage later or something and just leave that whole last bit with Punk and MJF doing the beatdown out of it. It would have been cleaner with Dante's moment not getting crossed up with Punk's heel heat. I liked MJF trying to decide whether he was going to come down or not just from a theatrical point of view though so it would have been a shame to lose it. They just had too much stuff floating in the Long Island air.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Also - I look forward to the debut of Julia (Black)Hart and the rest of Malakai’s House of Black stable. Hopefully she’s actually evil looking and whatnot, not some Harley Quinn/Chucky mashup that’s marketed to older men who like lollis. Not hard to do, but Malakai’s character is already x100 better than The Fiend, so I have faith (although Funhouse Wyatt was… amusing).

It's going to be impossible for Julia not to end up appealing to that crowd.  It would be tricky if they go this route, as they shouldn't copy Abadon or Alexa Bliss over in WWE.

I don't think the old Kevin Sullivan stable ideas with Woman in Florida would be acceptable today either.  They'll need to come up with something new.  A Daffney Unger-style gimmick might work though.

Everyone who was misted being corrupted in some way (I don't want Cody with Malakai in a faction though) would be nice.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

I hear Punk came back out after the cameras were off and dissed The Islanders 17 more times just in case.

I didn't understand setting up Cody vs Sammy, then transitioning to Page & Scorpio trying to get a shot.  Should have been done the other way around, with Men of the Year angling for a shot, only to be cut off by Cody.

Okay, I did enjoy Cody's act tonight.  "From one good guy to another."  And teasing leaving via the heel tunnel.  Cody simplifying his bullshit for us rubes, and just being a straight up heel who thinks he's a face, is a Christmas miracle.  So look for him to abandon that next week ?

If you didn't watch Rampage last week, you'll watch this week.  Because the Hook brings you back.

I want a TNT title run for Chuck, fuck it.

"The most over mom in wrestling!"

Is this the start of a bigger, less goofy push for Trent?  Excalibur called him by his full name.

I'm bummed to hear Excalibur call the 619 "the Tiger feint kick" instead of "the 818" but that's probably just me.

Bryan continues to be amazing.  Fucking Gotch-style piledriver!

Between shitting on Hayter/Riho, being tepid in general, and calling Bowens a "fucking fag," yeah, please never go back to NYC's Hateful and Insecure Little Brother.

I really enjoyed the character work by MJF.  He's just a heel and that's his nature.  No hometown pop changes that.

I'm cool with Jamie Hayter being the Terry Gordy of the women's division all day.  And Riho was a perfect Steamboat there.  Excellent match.

MJF hugging Spears, then walking by Wardlow and letting the big man take his jacket off, was perfect.  One guy is his friend, one guy is his employee.  Again, excellent character work showing what an elitist shit MJF is.  

AMAZING Shida/Deeb promo package.  On point!

Did any of that mist even hit Julia?  She sold the fuck out of it, though, I'll give you that.  Damn.

What's the count on interviews interrupted tonight?  I can remember at least three.  They need to tighten that shit up.  

Ohhhh shit Eddie is getting the band back together.

Hey guys, you know the Islanders suck and can't score a goal?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, alstein said:

It's going to be impossible for Julia not to end up appealing to that crowd.  It would be tricky if they go this route, as they shouldn't copy Abadon or Alexa Bliss over in WWE.

I don't think the old Kevin Sullivan stable ideas with Woman in Florida would be acceptable today either.  They'll need to come up with something new.  A Daffney Unger-style gimmick might work though.

Everyone who was misted being corrupted in some way (I don't want Cody with Malakai in a faction though) would be nice.

If this feud is about Black vs Pillman, the biggest problem is that Pillman has shown absolutely no fire at all.  He is stuck in rookie year NWA/WCW mode.   When Max Caster was making sexual references to Julia he just ignore them.   When MJF called his mom a meth head he tried to get pissed but still played like it was just a Dark match with very little hate.    

If they brought in Kevin Sullivan as an evil mentor which I think they were trying to do in MLW maybe it could work.  But Pillman needs a major character upgrade right now

• Like 3

Loved super cheap heel CM Punk

The Batte Royal was fun, AEW always manages to make these entertaining. 
The dynamic near the end was crazy tho, you have 3 heels facing off with one turning on his own team mate which I thought was just gonna be a "oh you got me there" moment" but commentary had to clarify that Dante was actually turning face again (kid has got to emote more, he has a total of one facial texture that never changes).
Then the hilarious mega face MJF running in for the save only to kick Dante's ass was a fun twist. Then Mega heel Punk coming out. I like then they play around with this stuff in AEW.

Laughed at Jungle Boy saving duffus Pillman from getting his face blown off by pyro during their entrance and loved the big boy dive by Garrison, such an underrated guy.

Sue is baaaaaaack fuck yeah, and she's dropping of Mox! oh wait, thats The Blade! oh no... Trent? I’ll never get tired of Sue dropping the kids at work.

Loved Hayter just killing Riho move after move, looked brutal. At point it reminded me of Roderick Strong turning Jack Evans into jelly with bombs back in the day. Great combo and I wouldn't mind seeing them go at it again.

Oh my God it’s happening! Everybody stay calm… star f*cking calm! HOOK will be deployed. 

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If this feud is about Black vs Pillman

There's literally no reason why it couldn't be about Black vs Griff instead. Pillman has the name, but Griff's ahead of him in every other way and since Pillman got the MJF feud, why not give Griff the next one?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's literally no reason why it couldn't be about Black vs Griff instead. Pillman has the name, but Griff's ahead of him in every other way and since Pillman got the MJF feud, why not give Griff the next one?

Well except that Griff has been made to look even weaker than Pillman in every way so far.   Griff was used as the punching bag in the MJF feud .   

I am not saying the Griff Garrison is worse than Pillman in terms of in ring ability.  although I have never heard him cut a real promo.

Edited by hammerva

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't building to Malakai Black having a feud with anyone in the Varsity Blondes, and that segment was specifically about corrupting (or whatever) Julia Hart? I mean, we might get a match or two out of it, but I don't think we're moving into a Black vs Griff or Pillman feud.

• Like 1

I got that feel too, that it was a Fiend/Alexa type situation.

But I'll mention it again, Griff is so much better than Pillman, sadly he's missing that last name. I find Pillman too goofy in every way whilst Griff gives me Hangman-like vibes with the way he lays his shit in in the ring.

Edited by eikerir

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't building to Malakai Black having a feud with anyone in the Varsity Blondes, and that segment was specifically about corrupting (or whatever) Julia Hart? I mean, we might get a match or two out of it, but I don't think we're moving into a Black vs Griff or Pillman feud.

In general, a mid-card feud in AEW is a match or two anyway?

• Like 1

Yeah seems like they're trying to heat up Black again after he's kinda floundered in the the Codyverse, while giving Pac some kayfabe time to heal his injuries and come back for vengeance. 

I'll be disappointed if we don't get something like this for Pac:

vWEcj8AT.jpg

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't building to Malakai Black having a feud with anyone in the Varsity Blondes, and that segment was specifically about corrupting (or whatever) Julia Hart?

On one hand, I hope not.  On the other hand, I'd love the idea of TK being so ballsy as to take shit WWE angles and show how they could be done right.  Even better if he keeps doing it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

I honestly think it's going to be not much at all.  Just a quick mini-angle to get Black some heat, which will lead to one of the Blondes, maybe both, doing a job to him in order to rebuild him. 

Gotta take a few points away from TK for 'fridging, though. 

Not too many. It's not all that different from Arn getting attacked by Black. Maybe Julia even gets to hit a mid-match flying body press on Black later or something. On the other hand, we'll give Khan a million points if he doesn't redo the Alexa stuff.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Not too many. It's not all that different from Arn getting attacked by Black. Maybe Julia even gets to hit a mid-match flying body press on Black later or something. On the other hand, we'll give Khan a million points if he doesn't redo the Alexa stuff.

Well lets hope whatever happens with Julia it has an endgame. Alexa literally just disappeared after Charlotte beat her. The "corrupting" of Julia could lead all kinds of ways;  Tony tends to have things mapped out (well when Cody is not involved). 

• Like 1