DVDVR Message Board

FTR Matches on Dark Elevation

Greggulator

I forget who brought these to my attention. But FTR are my favorite tag team (if not human beings) right now. I'm going through the AEW Dark Elevation archives to find some of the great FTR squash matches for you. These are so gold. 

APRIL 12, 2021
FTR VS. JAY LYON AND MIDAS BLACK

OVERALL SCORE: 6/10.  

This is from April 12, and there's apparently a quadruple main event. I can't be bothered to watch what that entails because I'm headed straight to the 51 minute mark where Dax and Cash are going up against the team of Midas Black and Jay Lion. Jay Lyon is an all-time keeper of a jobber. He's some squat looking guy wearing a dollar store lion mask and carries a piece of steak in his mouth as he wrestles.  And, as The Big Show astutely points out, he has the word "ROAR" written on the back of his trunks. He and his partner (dollar store Prince Halloween costume) also tried some color coordination, which is nice. This is gold right from the start, with Dax putting Jay Lyon into the corner, paintbrushing him, and then cackling as the mask comes right off and Midas goes to put this mask back on to save the identity of his partner/Dollar General points club member. Great jerk heel moment when Cash nonchalantly holds the ropes open so Dax can toss Jay Lyon to the floor so Wardlaw and Tully can slap him around for a bit. Midas Black gets the hot tag, and that's when I realize he's wearing suspenders with his trunks. Dax does the Arn hot tag sell perfectly before giving him his awesome brainbuster. Then they finish the job with the spike piledriver. Afterwards, Wardlaw kicks both Jay Lyon and Midas Black to the floor like the pieces of trash they are. 

I can't help but think that the mask falling off was an accident. With later day FTR Dark Elevation matches, they would have done something much more heinous and hilarious to take their deserved pelt. Cash has more of a mohawk than a mullet, but I like where this is headed. This is pretty much a one-man show from Dax beating the hell out of two jobbers. I like the addition of Wardlaw as their enforcer at ringside and any Tully Blanchard slapping someone around ala JJ is good with me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1