DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NCAAF - GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

So far this is a lot of worst case scenario for Michigan. They're athletically overmatched, and the hope was obviously to have better effort/execution/gameplan/play calling/etc and so far Georgia looks motivated and they have an excellent offensive gameplan to neutralize Michigan's biggest strengths.

21 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, this is not happening for Michigan.

Nope. Whatever chances they had died at about 17-0.

Though I started getting worried when not one pass defender flinched on the flea flicker. Michigan has been hitting that for huge plays all year, but Georgia's secondary clearly had no fear of Haskins getting past the front seven and didn't even react.

Not surprised Michigan is struggling to  score on Georgia, because they’re really not built for it (gotta be able to throw it over their heads, and Michigan can’t). But I had hoped their defense could keep it close enough to make it interesting. But nope. Kind of turning into one of those classic overmatched B1G/ND vs. SEC post-season games.

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

Not surprised Michigan is struggling to  score on Georgia, because they’re really not built for it (gotta be able to throw it over their heads, and Michigan can’t). But I had hoped their defense could keep it close enough to make it interesting. But nope. Kind of turning into one of those classic overmatched B1G/ND vs. SEC post-season games.

Georgia is basically a better version of Michigan. Bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, but they both try mostly the same things.

And Michigan throwing in some dumb mental errors isn't helping.

Obviously I'm disappointed, but 

If you had told me in August Michigan was gonna go 12-2, win the B1G, and beat the brakes off the Buckeyes but get killed in the CFP, I would've taken it with delirious happiness based on what I expected.

Would like to see a score or two down the stretch to make it look a little better though.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was a great season for Michigan, and I hope this game doesn’t sour it too much. But it is an illustration of how far off they still are talent-wise, not just to compete in these types of games but also to even beat Ohio State more consistently.

They really, really need McCarthy to figure it out.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, it was a great season for Michigan, and I hope this game doesn’t sour it too much. But it is an illustration of how far off they still are talent-wise, not just to compete in these types of games but also to even beat Ohio State more consistently.

They really, really need McCarthy to figure it out.

They've got a top ten class coming in, and hopefully can keep recruiting at that level.

McCarthy and Edwards in theory should develop into a dangerous combo. I love McNamara but it'll be very good for Michigan if McCarthy is good enough to beat him out for the job next year, because the ceiling is obviously so much higher.

It's a shame this is Jim Brandstatter's last game calling Michigan on the radio. He's been doing it for like 40 or 50 years.

Would've been Dan Dierdorf's last game as well, but he was "unable to travel" to the game today, which I hope wasn't health related.

What we saw from Michigan tonight was a repeat of years past from them - bad coaching and poor discipline. We saw guys quitting on plays - multiple times. We saw bad penalties. We saw guys way out of position constantly. We saw a coaching staff that looked like hadn't watched any film. And Georgia had better talent. So it got ugly. 

But I'll totally take 12-2 that, but for an incredibly bad officiating crew, should've been 13-1.

Edited by Tabe