DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NCAAF - GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

Apparently Rutgers will indeed be offered and they will accept the Gator Bowl spot

Of course all their good players have already signed with agents so that is amusing

Even sadder is that apparently this will be the most prestigious bowl Rutgers has ever played in

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently Rutgers will indeed be offered and they will accept the Gator Bowl spot

Of course all their good players have already signed with agents so that is amusing

Even sadder is that apparently this will be the most prestigious bowl Rutgers has ever played in

TBF, that 2006 team deserved way better than a Texas Bowl spot. They were one bad loss (Cincy) away from a real quality game.

11 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Hawaii is out of the Hawaii Bowl due to COVID outbreak. How many more bowl games do we think are going to get whacked?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32931805/hawaii-rainbow-warriors-hawaii-bowl-due-covid-19-issues

Deeply amused at the idea of some random 5-7 school like Illinois mobilizing their players, staff and fan base to hop on planes and save the Hawaii Bowl on 24 hour's notice.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, RIPPA said:

Apparently Miami is iffy but their AD claims their players are trending in the right direction.

Guess not any more. 

Couple of notes:  Miami's numbers were trending down, so they let the players go home for the holidays.  Which, good for them, bad for the bowl.  

Though the Sun Bowl's director said it's "too late" to look for a replacement, they are.  The top candidate is Cal (5-7), who notably beat 4-win USC in their final game to be in this position. 

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Military Bowl and Fenway Bowl are both off due to COVID issues

BC is the reason for the Military Bowl

Virginia is the reason for the Fenway Bowl

My stepdaughter is friends with some of the UVa players and it really sucked for them. They were all basically holed up in kind of a crappy hotel here. Couldn't go home and their Christmas dinner was a shitty boxed lunch. Their players are all vaxxed (I think) as UVa was making it a school wide requirement. A couple of guys got it and it spread. I know for sure that their QB, Brennan Armstrong had it and was going to be out if the game had ended up being played.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Nevada has a 6 foot 9 QB in this bowl game against Western Michigan.  Has to be one of the tallest QB ever

Only guy close I can think of is 6'8" Dan McGwire. 

Currently have a 100 CP lead in my bowl pick-em league, and at the rate games are being canceled, I might just coast through the finish line. *shrug*

If I somehow manage to lose, though, I’m definitely filing an injunction to get my ten bucks back. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Boise St is out of the Arizona bowl

Edit - there is talk that Central Michigan will seek a release from the game so they can go replace Miami in the Sun Bowl

And the Chips are indeed going to the Sun Bowl.

Not a bad upgrade, going from a streaming only game with a total payout of 350K to a CBS national broadcast with a total combined payout around $4.5 million.

All these games getting canceled and we can't get the West Virginia vs Minnesota game moved to a reasonable hour like 9.  Not like we are spring chickens around these parts. ?

Still wonder if an FCS school like James Madison would want to play in a bowl even though their playoffs ended a week or so ago

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

All these games getting canceled and we can't get the West Virginia vs Minnesota game moved to a reasonable hour like 9.  Not like we are spring chickens around these parts. ?

Still wonder if an FCS school like James Madison would want to play in a bowl even though their playoffs ended a week or so ago

I was thinking Jackson State might something to prove after they got spanked by SC State.

In other news, the Pirate brought the heat against Texas Tech yesterday:

I am probably wrong but I thought there was a deadline to when the semis can be played.  So whether it plays Friday who knows. 

I am confused how the holiday bowl made it until 4 hours before gametime.  What is the latest they could test?  Although it sure seems like UCLA was in deep shit before today 

Edited by hammerva