DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NCAAF - GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

Listen I am all for dunking on Pittsburgh in a bowl game but the fact they were driving for the game winning score with their Heisman Trophy contending QB sitting at home was impressive.    Although their defense left a ton to be desired in the 2nd half

Edited by hammerva

19 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The ACC Champion just lost to a team that was losing by 49 points at halftime to Ohio State.

Pitt was playing with their third string QB! If Kenny Pickett was playing Pitt wins by 30 or more, if backup QB Patti doesn’t get hurt early in the game Pitt wins by 15 or more. Pitt’s D was on the field almost the entire game and was one bad pass by a third stringer from taking the game to OT. 

There will be a lot of people trying to use this as evidence that Cincinnati didn’t belong, but I don’t think they performed notably worse than teams like Washington, Michigan State, Notre Dame, and 2017 Clemson have against Bama in the 1st round before. I thought they acquitted themselves admirably.

Edited by EVA

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

There will be a lot of people trying to use this as evidence that Cincinnati didn’t belong, but I don’t think they performed notably worse than teams like Washington, Michigan State, Notre Dame, and 2017 Clemson have against Bama in the 1st round before. I thought they acquitted themselves admirably.

Yeah. IIRC, something like 11 out of the 14 previous semifinal games have been decided by 14+ points.

A list that also includes things like Clemson beating Ohio 31-0.

Cincy played tough, weren't intimidated, and just slowly got suffocated by the superior talent. I can't imagine anyone thinks Notre Dame would've done much better.

Of course, all of semifinal squashes are just further evidence in support of my steadfast belief that there are *rarely* more than 2 truly elite teams in any given season and that there is no good reason—from a purely competitive standpoint—to further expand the playoff!

41 minutes ago, EVA said:

Of course, all of semifinal squashes are just further evidence in support of my steadfast belief that there are *rarely* more than 2 truly elite teams in any given season and that there is no good reason—from a purely competitive standpoint—to further expand the playoff!

Sure, but then you get years like 2014 where 3 stomped a mudhole in #2 and #4 beat #1 and then went on to win the title.

But playoff expansion is mostly about money. (The hilarious part to me is if we used the plan they were tossing around back in June this year, Georgia, Notre Dame and Ohio would've fallen to the 7 8 9 slots)

Michigan needs to take away those quick passes to give the pass rush a chance to disrupt things.

Offensively... They are gonna have to get in space and make a couple big plays at some point to have a chance.