DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

4 hours ago, EVA said:

I don’t think I commented on it at the time, so since you bring it up: In 2007, Rich Rodriguez turned down the Alabama job because, reportedly, his wife didn’t want to live in Tuscaloosa.

Welp. Enjoy Calhoun County, Rita.

And Rich only got the Michigan job because Les Miles didn't want to leave LSU right before playing for a national title.  He'd already accepted the job, was ready to go, but Michigan was insisting he leave before the title game (which LSU won).  That story perfectly encapsulates the often insufferable arrogance of the Michigan program.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tabe said:

And Rich only got the Michigan job because Les Miles didn't want to leave LSU right before playing for a national title.  He'd already accepted the job, was ready to go, but Michigan was insisting he leave before the title game (which LSU won).  That story perfectly encapsulates the often insufferable arrogance of the Michigan program.

And Pitt beating WVU is the reason Rodriguez was available!!!! 

Rich Rod was such an odd fit for Michigan. Like, the roster was built so incredibly wrong for everything he likes to do.

Oregon should've learned from the contract Miles signed with LSU after all that, where he had one buyout for every job except Michigan, and then a significantly larger one if he left for Ann Arbor.

39 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rich Rod was such an odd fit for Michigan. Like, the roster was built so incredibly wrong for everything he likes to do.

Rodriguez was in the right place at the right time.  He was looking to leave WVU and Michigan needed a name coach fast to satisfy the fanbase.  From what I can remember, Michigan flirted with a few other coaches besides Miles before offering the job to Rodriguez.  Rutgers coach Greg Schiano was supposedly offered the job but decided to turn it down.

There are still WVU fans who believe Rodriguez (and Pat MacAfee) threw the game so Rich could leave the job.  I still don't understand the logic behind that one.

The Rita Rodriguez story is a bit amusing because, if the many rumors about their personal lives are true, Rich mostly treats her like an afterthought.  Even going back to the WVU stint, there were a lot of wild stories about his affairs.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

5 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

There are still WVU fans who believe Rodriguez (and Pat MacAfee) threw the game so Rich could leave the job.  I still don't understand the logic behind that one.

They didn't throw anything those hillbillies can't deal with a shitty Pitt team shutting them down. Pitt Head Coach Dave Wannstedt was in the press box for that game due to knee surgery, thankfully he reverted to his Defensive Coordinator days and called the D plays, the Stache might not have been the best head coach but he was great Defensive Coordinator.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oregon should've learned from the contract Miles signed with LSU after all that, where he had one buyout for every job except Michigan, and then a significantly larger one if he left for Ann Arbor.

I firmly believe he could have been successful at Michigan - if he'd pay *ANY* attention to defense during his time there.  He showed he can recruit offensive guys and Denard Robinson was incredible for him but they showed a stunning lack of coaching and were so physically weak that they just got destroyed defensively.  He managed to get through a season where he was sabotaged left and right and STILL bring in talented guys like Denard after that.  And then left behind enough talent for Brady Freaking Hoke* to go 11-2 and win a Sugar Bowl.  Not like Lloyd Carr did to Rich Rod where, other than Ryan Mallett, he recruited absolutely no one his last to years.  And Mallett he told to transfer.  Carr set fire to the Michigan program on his way to retirement but people just remember 1997 and ignore everything else.

* - I love the Brady Hoke contract story with Michigan.  See, they offered him the job and he accepted but didn't sign a contract.  They held a press conference announcing his hiring and he still hadn't signed.  So he leveraged that into a lot more money than the previous offer because Michigan didn't want the egg on their face of announcing a guy and then not actually signing him.  Such stupid incompetence by the Michigan people and gross avarice and lack of honor from Hoke - it's college football at its finest.

** - Brady Hoke is 11-2 this year as head coach of San Diego State.  He has more 11-win seasons in his career (3) than Jim Harbaugh does in his (2) though Harbaugh has more 12-win season (2 to 1).

Hoke isn't a bad coach, but he certainly appeared to be over his head at Michigan in a power conference. They got worse every year he was there, etc.

I'm trying to picture Ryan Mallet running Rich Rod's offense and it's just a "does not compute" type of thing.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I firmly believe he could have been successful at Michigan - if he'd pay *ANY* attention to defense during his time there.  He showed he can recruit offensive guys and Denard Robinson was incredible for him but they showed a stunning lack of coaching and were so physically weak that they just got destroyed defensively.  He managed to get through a season where he was sabotaged left and right and STILL bring in talented guys like Denard after that.  And then left behind enough talent for Brady Freaking Hoke* to go 11-2 and win a Sugar Bowl.  Not like Lloyd Carr did to Rich Rod where, other than Ryan Mallett, he recruited absolutely no one his last to years.  And Mallett he told to transfer.  Carr set fire to the Michigan program on his way to retirement but people just remember 1997 and ignore everything else.

* - I love the Brady Hoke contract story with Michigan.  See, they offered him the job and he accepted but didn't sign a contract.  They held a press conference announcing his hiring and he still hadn't signed.  So he leveraged that into a lot more money than the previous offer because Michigan didn't want the egg on their face of announcing a guy and then not actually signing him.  Such stupid incompetence by the Michigan people and gross avarice and lack of honor from Hoke - it's college football at its finest.

** - Brady Hoke is 11-2 this year as head coach of San Diego State.  He has more 11-win seasons in his career (3) than Jim Harbaugh does in his (2) though Harbaugh has more 12-win season (2 to 1).

That only works if you don't count the two 12 win seasons as being 11 win seasons though. Jim has won at least 11 games four times (as a college coach. He also did it three times in the NFL.)

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That only works if you don't count the two 12 win seasons as being 11 win seasons though. Jim has won at least 11 games four times (as a college coach. He also did it three times in the NFL.)

For whatever reason, the site I was looking at (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jim-harbaugh-1.html) decided Jim Harbaugh was never the coach at San Diego so I missed his two 11-win seasons there.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hoke isn't a bad coach, but he certainly appeared to be over his head at Michigan in a power conference. They got worse every year he was there, etc.

I'm trying to picture Ryan Mallet running Rich Rod's offense and it's just a "does not compute" type of thing.

Oh, for sure he was not a RichRod type of quarterback.  And perhaps that's what Carr was telling him.  That said, it's not secret that Carr didn't like Rodriguez and thought he was a bad hire from Day 1.  Even if he genuinely though Mallet was a bad fit, that's a conversation that should involve Rodriguez.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, Robert C said:

I'd take Johnson just for the irony.

Well wishes come true

Max Johnson announced he is going to A&M

EDIT - I should note that Johnson's younger brother, Jake, committed to A&M earlier this week

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:52 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Guess which 2021 pro wrestling personality is being investigated by the NCAA?

I'm sure me and Dan Lambert would be on complete opposite sides of most issues,  but he's right on here. The NCAA is an organization that only exists to put their hand in someone else's pocket to make sure they don't get paid what they're worth. They serve no other purpose. Fuck them and everything they stand for. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well wishes come true

Max Johnson announced he is going to A&M

EDIT - I should note that Johnson's younger brother, Jake, committed to A&M earlier this week

So if your starting QB gets knocked out for the season in the first quarter of your second game, and your backup beats Alabama but loses to a bunch of mediocre teams then transfers before your bowl game, and you move your third string QB to TE, so you're left with a walk-on true freshman with 18 total passing yards and then your artificial conference created rival's QB who beat you on a last second TD in your last regular season game transfers to you, he gets to play in said bowl game, right?  

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

So Utah State might be in the market for a new coach real soon, cause the current one is a fucking asshole and a moron.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32891190/utah-state-football-coach-blake-anderson-apologizes-sexual-assault-comment

Bo Nix is such a fantastic shithead heel. I mean, even setting aside his alleged parenting style, this dude got injured, proceeded to go in the media talking shit about Alabama that his backup would have to answer for, and then ran just about as far away as he could get and still be in the continental United States.

I mean, he was *this* close to just saying, fuck it, I’m going to the CFL. Which, if he’s being honest with himself, is probably where his career is headed anyway.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

I did not see him heading to Oregon. Something that has not been mentioned, and I think was an influential reason for him going is that Kenny Dillingham is the OC at Oregion.

Dillingham was the OC in name only at Auburn for Bo's Freshman year. 

Rivals current 2022 recruiting rankings have three teams in the Big 10 East in the top ten, five of them in the top 20, and all seven in the top 35.

Meanwhile, Iowa is 25th, ahead of Rutgers and Maryland. Every other West team is behind every team in the East.

The division is shaping up to be an absolute meat grinder, especially if we get a couple more years like that. 

(The West, BTW, has not won the conference title since they realigned into East/West divisions, though Wisconsin did win two when they still had the Legends and Leaders bullshit)

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

As expected, Caleb Williams has hit the portal. However, he’s not ruling out staying at Oklahoma.

Time for Auburn to pony up that Cam money, but legit this time.

But did you see the embarrassing statement/tweet/desperate plea that the OU AD released?

3 hours ago, EVA said:

As expected, Caleb Williams has hit the portal. However, he’s not ruling out staying at Oklahoma.

Time for Auburn to pony up that Cam money, but legit this time.

I kinda half expect him to follow Riley. They have a hole at QB, he's made it very clear the only thing he cares about is having a coach that can get him ready for the NFL, Riley's got three guys who are currently NFL starting QBs in his recent history. USC doesn't have the hotshot five star coming in until 2023... 

---------

This is kinda more an NFL thing, but Joe Burrow has thrown for almost a thousand yards the last two games for the Bengals. Justin Jefferson set the post-merger NFL record for receiving yards by a rookie last year for the Vikings, and the "most in your first two years" record a couple weeks ago. Ja'Marr Chase just broke the rookie season yardage record as well as the rookie single game record yesterday for Cincy.

How fucking good was that LSU offense in 2019? It's insane.