DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Maybe the NCAA is gonna claim that some NILs are basically paying players for the advertising equivalent of "no-show jobs" as opposed to them having to do some minimum in return for NIL money

Yeah, a minimum like participating in what's essentially a series of small car crashes every Saturday so that a bunch of old dudes can line their pockets from tv contracts.

• Like 2

The real reason Lambert is so pissed is that having to deal with this is eating into his time of watching old Championship Wrestling from Florida tapes. And you know that Lambert 100% has a working VCR and that's how he watches.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering how little Florida is on the Peacock compared to other territories, you pretty much need a VCR and tapes to watch most of it.

But anyways, I suspect the strategy by the NCAA is that they can't get rid of NILs but they wanna trim and restrict NILs.

Agreed. Basically anytime stuff like this comes up, I just think of this scene from The Program where Alvin Mack justifies taking an envelop of cash from a booster

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/97313c67-d9f2-4303-8326-1b90f666f6c0

So, I'm not complaining as a Michigan fan, but, with Virginia going in a different direction, it looks like Josh Gattis isn't likely to get a head coaching job this year, which is amazing to me. Just won the assistant of the year award, has deep experience in both the south east, including a year on Saban's staff, and the Midwest, both with multiple schools... He's young, successful, well traveled... Is it just because he's not white?

55 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, I'm not complaining as a Michigan fan, but, with Virginia going in a different direction, it looks like Josh Gattis isn't likely to get a head coaching job this year, which is amazing to me. Just won the assistant of the year award, has deep experience in both the south east, including a year on Saban's staff, and the Midwest, both with multiple schools... He's young, successful, well traveled... Is it just because he's not white?

Maybe it's because his offenses looked terrible before this year and his fellow Alabama OC badmouthed the job he did there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also entering the portal - USC QB Kedon Slovis who has two years of eligibility left

Being a Heisman candidate seems like another lifetime ago

Him and Rattler both.

now that UT has Quinn Ewers, I’d expect Casey Thompson to portal. Card will probably stay on a year to get his degree and then go somewhere as a grad transfer with 2 or 3 years of eligibility 

Rattler and Slovis could both be really interesting pick ups at the right school. Both of them are guys who followed up really good seasons with really disappointing ones, but if you're a program with a hole at QB and talent on offense, they might fit as a plug and play type.

I'm kind of hoping Auburn nets Slovis. Not sure Bo's replacement is on this roster. They do have a good true freshman coming in recruiting, but this staff is probably not going to rush that. 

The list of QBs in the transfer portal as of yesterday was kind of insane. I think it was roughly 1/5th of the entire power 5.

You know the competition committee is going to regulate it some way for next year. 

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised A&M doesn't seem to be trying to grab somebody.  The current QB situation consists of:

- a redshirt freshman who has thrown a total of 24 passes, looked fairly unimpressive in his only full game (against an awful defense), and then got his leg mangled

- a freshman walkon who has thrown seven passes

- a freshman who got moved to tight end

- an incoming recruit who should enroll in January.  Highly rated, but that doesn't always mean much, especially at QB.

This is a couple of days old but I just saw that Quinn Ewers is going to Texas

Wonder how quick Texas folks will throw NIL money at him (probably real quick)

He has 4 years of eligibility left

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I'm kinda surprised A&M doesn't seem to be trying to grab somebody.  The current QB situation consists of:

- a redshirt freshman who has thrown a total of 24 passes, looked fairly unimpressive in his only full game (against an awful defense), and then got his leg mangled

- a freshman walkon who has thrown seven passes

- a freshman who got moved to tight end

- an incoming recruit who should enroll in January.  Highly rated, but that doesn't always mean much, especially at QB.

Bo Nix or Max Johnson.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is a couple of days old but I just saw that Quinn Ewers is going to Texas

Wonder how quick Texas folks will throw NIL money at him (probably real quick)

He has 4 years of eligibility left

Supposedly, Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy both brought in 7 figures NIL. Ewers comes in with at least one existing deal from a Texas-based company worth something like $1 mil/year. I'd expect him to be getting $3-4 million a year. Just ridiculous numbers these days.

Yeah - the reason I made my comment is because Ewers deal when he got to OSU he got a $1.4 million deal from GT Sports Marketing so I am assuming that is the Texas company you are talking about. He had other deals too.

And then he never played a snap for the Buckeyes

It really does come off as he did it just to skirt the state of Texas law that said High School students can't have NILs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - the reason I made my comment is because Ewers deal when he got to OSU he got a $1.4 million deal from GT Sports Marketing so I am assuming that is the Texas company you are talking about. He had other deals too.

And then he never played a snap for the Buckeyes

It really does come off as he did it just to skirt the state of Texas law that said High School students can't have NILs

I'm 100% certain that's why he did what he did, but I don't know that he was always intending on transferring after a semester. I think he saw Stroud and the number of QBs there, versus the wide open UT job (and working with Sark instead of Herman) and decided to take that route.