DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

15 hours ago, supremebve said:

The NCAA is finally telling the truth about what they're all about.

Near as I can tell, the NCAA themselves have not said anything. The tweet in question is referring to a quote of an analysis that doesn't actually quote anything from the brief that was filed. The article the quote comes from refers to two briefs - one from the SEC, one from an educational trade group coalition. Nowhere does it actually lay out the references to the 13th Amendment. 

In other words the NCAA is awful. We all know this. I have no doubt that they would make an argument based on the 13th. I'm just saying, right now it doesn't look like that has actually happened here. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

Missed this earlier in the week. Spoiler tagged for those of you who don’t want to know which teams have an actual shot to win the national title this year:

Hide contents

I feel like you could have given me 3 shots of whisky,  did 5 of those spins with a baseball bat,  blindfolded me,  and threw me in a washer during the spin cycle... and I would have guessed at least 4 of the top 5.

• Haha 2

Yeah, and related to that: As recently as 5 years ago, only one team had a BCR over 75% (Bama), but this year we have three, plus the top 5 are all over 70% for the first time ever, and Bama continues its streak of breaking the record for highest BCR.

Just stunning evidence of how concentrated the elite talent is becoming.

That said, 2019 LSU, 2018/2016 Clemson, and 2013 FSU all won natties with BCRs in the 50 to low 60 range, so the bottom half to those rankings are still relevant.

And I must say…This is more evidence for my emerging theory that Miami has a REAL chance to make a run at the ACC championship and the CFP, if Mario can get that house in order in a hurry.

Edited by EVA

Football players get noticed by recruiters when they're about 15-16, but don't contribute in college until 19-20... being a blue chip teenager doesn't necessarily mean you'll develop into a great player as a grown ass man. With that said 89% is a crazy advantage.  These are all scratch off tickets,  but they already have 2 out of 3 winning numbers revealed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm mostly surprised Clemson is as low as they are on that list.

I'm not. Clemson has DeSean Watson and Trevor Lawrence and 43554435 defensive linemen,  before that they sucked for my entire life. I have no expectation that they'll be great unless they get another Watson or Lawrence and they can convince a bunch of d-line recruits to not go to Georgia or Alabama. Ohio State and Alabama are the only two schools that have a never ending well of great talent.   Oklahoma is third on the list,  but Clemson and Georgia aren't blue bloods, they are good programs that can have a great run. LSU is just in Louisiana and that state produces football talent like Nebraska produces corn stalks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Missed this earlier in the week. Spoiler tagged for those of you who don’t want to know which teams have an actual shot to win the national title this year:

Hide contents

Auburn being a team of destiny and going on a run after everything that's happened over the last couple of years would be the most Auburn thing ever. Also, Oregon and Bo Nix winning the Natty and Heisman would also be the most Auburn thing ever. 

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

ESPN's SP+ lists Ohio,  Bama, and Georgia as the three best teams going into the season.  Michigan is fourth, but they are closer to 23rd than theyare 3rd place. 

Yeah Michigan lost a LOT from last year. They can overcome that if the quarterback play continues to improve but... no way are they 4th. They feel more like an 18 to me than a 4. 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Yeah Michigan lost a LOT from last year. They can overcome that if the quarterback play continues to improve but... no way are they 4th. They feel more like an 18 to me than a 4. 

They bring back a lot on offense. Two good running backs, the top three pass catchers, three offensive linemen, plus a Rimington Award finalist transferring in, both QBs.

But oh boy did they lose a lot on defense. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 3:06 PM, EVA said:

If I can press pause on realignment talk for a second…

I’ve started doing my research for this coming season, and wooooooow the ACC Coastal looks like an even bigger flaming shitshow than usual. We’ve got 4 teams in year 1 of a transition to a new coach (three of those being tear-the-guts-out rebuilding jobs), another team that’s cratering towards the same situation, and the two stable programs are having to figure out their identity after the loss of superstar QBs. Talk about wide open.

I mean, if Mario has the new Miami staff clicking and there isn’t a culture war with the players, the Canes seem well situated to steamroll through that division. Feels like Pitt hitting the lottery on Kedon Slovis regaining his 2019 form is about the only other thing that could get in their way.

I'd love to think we'd steamroll through that division but as a Canes fan and alum, I've heard this story many times before over the last 15 years or so. The Coastal has always been a pretty garbage division and yet we've only won it once despite usually having more talent than the other teams. But as long as we don't get hit by any major injuries, we should mow down everyone in the Coastal. UVa at UVa is always tough for UM and they return a great QB but their offensive line is a mess. That's the trap game IMO.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

LOL at giving ND that much of a chance at winning a NC. I know there's a lot of talk among ND fans about how "THIS IZ DA BEST RECRUITING CLASS EVAR!!!!" and "MARCUS FREEMAN >>>>>>>>>>> BRIAN KELLY," but Charlie Weis supposedly had good recruiting classes too and did fuck all with them and BK is probably one of the best HC in the school's history. It sucks they never won a championship, but with the record they had under Kelly in this era of college football and getting close to a championship multiple times is a fuck ton better than most head coaches that team had and I'd probably put him ahead of Dan Devine too even with Devine having one title on his resume. 

Most ND fans don't want to admit that it's a lot more likely that Freeman is another Bob Davie than the next Lou Holtz. Hell, he may not even be the next Skip Holtz.

And who the fuck knows if Buchner or Pyne are even any good. Buchner was supposed to be hot shit and wound up looking like dogshit and got outplayed by Jack Coan, who was maybe the most milquetoast QB I've ever seen at that level.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of saying a brand-new coach has a good shot at an NC in his first year. I don't care how good the recruiting class is. 

So, high likelihood that there will be some sort of Pac-Big 12 merger, with some schools being left out. Arizona schools for sure, I'd bet Utah and Colorado as well. Wouldn't expect it to be all of the new Big 12 either.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:10 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

Now the Big 10 and SEC will just do whatever they want, they don't need the other conferences. Hell they may vote for an expansion with no automatic bids and just assume the entire playoff will be from their conferences to get them even more money.

Well that didn't take long. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Well that didn't take long. 

I still can't believe the PAC 12 and ACC let the plan that gave them permanent access get scuttled.

Edited by Brian Fowler

16 hours ago, JLowe said:

So, high likelihood that there will be some sort of Pac-Big 12 merger, with some schools being left out. Arizona schools for sure, I'd bet Utah and Colorado as well. Wouldn't expect it to be all of the new Big 12 either.

Hmmm... you would think that but the Pac 12 isn't appealing to anyone

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34264518/sources-big-12-pac-12-partner-talks-officially-end

Talks about a partnership between the Big 12 and the Pac-12, which had been discussed extensively the past two weeks, have officially ended, sources told ESPN.

Officials from the Big 12 told Pac-12 officials on Monday that they're no longer interested in exploring the partnership, sources said.

A Big 12 source said that the deal didn't work for the conference for "a multitude of reasons," which included the fact that any potential deal wouldn't have driven much revenue for the league. "It just didn't work," the source said.]

------------

That has included conversations with the ACC about some sort of scheduling arrangement, but sources have told ESPN that the financial reality of that potential partnership also projects to underwhelm.

The PAC-12 just has absolutely no cards to play. There is nothing they have to offer the Big 12 or ACC that those conferences can’t just take for themselves in a few years anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

The PAC-12 just has absolutely no cards to play. There is nothing they have to offer the Big 12 or ACC that those conferences can’t just take for themselves in a few years anyway.

The Big 12 has less to offer than the PAC-12, it's more likely that the ACC or PAC-12 will poach the Island of Misfit Toys that is the Big 12 sans Texas and Oklahoma. 

FYI, Jim Harbaugh's hot takes do not end at "Bo did nothing wrong"  or "COVID was God's punishment for our wicked lives". 

Google to find out the rest.  Unless it ends up costing him his job, let's just agree to skip it here. 

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

The Big 12 has less to offer than the PAC-12,  

Strongest disagree, and I’m honestly not sure how you’re arriving at this conclusion? Was true a month ago but definitely not now. Big 12 is in pretty good shape right now. Already locked down a much stronger TV deal than the PAC-12 is gonna get, and they still have solid footing in their regional stronghold, as opposed to the PAC being absolutely gutted in California. They’re a conference without money, a viable business plan, or even a cogent identity. You would have to be on crack to go into business with the PAC right now.

• Like 1

The more I think about all of this reshuffling the more I wonder if we're going to end up with a new division of football. The S-tier division will basically consist of the big conferences that mean something and the next tier down will be whatever the FBS 1-A is today just without those big conference teams. 

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The more I think about all of this reshuffling the more I wonder if we're going to end up with a new division of football. The S-tier division will basically consist of the big conferences that mean something and the next tier down will be whatever the FBS 1-A is today just without those big conference teams. 

That's already kind of the case. Vanderbilt is in the SEC, but they are not playing the same game as Alabama. They are jobbers who are only there to make Alabama look like a juggernaut before they play Auburn on the big show.