DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

Harbaugh reportedly also said he will not pursue a NFL job in the future and will stay at long as Michigan wants him.

Whether he lives up to that remains to be seen of course, but he deserves a lot of credit for being open and honest with the school and with recruits during the process, unlike a lot of coaches.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

How is there no English word for "cringe-laughing so hard you pee a little"

Dude...WTF. To say that this clown is a total 180 of who he was at Notre Dame would be an understatement. Every time I see BK pop up I'm just like, "man, what is he doing?"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

Alabama DC Pete Golding was arrested for DUI last night. I don’t think there will be too many tears shed by Bama fans if he loses his job because of this.

A coach getting fired for a DUI? That'd be a first. I imagine decades ago they would have fired the cop. . . 

I feel a little bad for Harbaugh.  The ESPN talking heads think he went to Minnesota with the expectation that they were going to offer him the job and the interview was just a formality.  Not what happened and Minnesota has already decided to look elsewhere, so it's probably safe to think Harbaugh didn't wow them.  However he - and Michigan - spin it, he's going to be the punchline of a lot of jokes and recruiters at other schools targeting potential Michigan commits will be using this episode as fodder for the next few years.

He does deserve some respect for doing this publicly instead of stealing off to the interview under cover of darkness and hoping no one leaked it to the press.

• Like 1

While there were definite benefits to Harbaugh doing this “above board,” he definitely did not play this out very publicly for altruistic reasons. This was about putting maximum pressure on Michigan to give back some or all of what they took from him last year. Like any coach of his stature, Harbaugh has a huge ego, and he lost a lot of face with that contract restructuring and he has not been happy about it. His goal was clearly to either get a huge new deal or be gone.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Or maybe Harbaugh wanted too much power, and they wanted him to coach. . . .

Maybe, but that's not how the story is being spun on the sports talk shows I've caught since last night.  The talking point on ESPN this morning was that Harbaugh went to Minn fully expecting to be offered a job and got a reality check when he realized he was just a candidate and not one they were still considering post-interview.  Maybe that's not how it played out but it puts him in the uncomfortable position of suffering through some public embarrassment or being petty and trying to set the record straight.  Not that "I wanted absolute power and they just wanted me to coach" would help him much.

Not sure I buy that this was leaked to the media as a way for Harbaugh to get some leverage for the next contract negotiation.  I don't have a problem with coaches doing that when they can, but that works better when you don't really intend to leave your job and just want your employer to believe you have options.  If  - and it's a big if - Harbaugh really wants to go back to the pros and thought Minnesota intended to offer him a job, he doesn't have a lot to gain from Michigan.  Maybe Mich wlll start showing him more love if they think he has interest from the pros, but it's equally possible they'll decide he's eventually going back the pros and they should start thinking about his replacement.  

Lol, I did the same thing 12-15 years ago.  I was up-front with my employer about interviewing for similar/somewhat better  jobs with bigger firms.  Came to a point where I had a better offer in-hand, but sort of wanted to stay where I was if the current job would match the pay and a few other things.  Current employer (nicely) declined because they knew i was ready to move on & figured I would eventually move on even if they gave me what I wanted.  Shrug.  They were probably right and it turned out moving on worked out well for everyone involved.  My replacement still works there and has done a great job growing the company. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mario said:

I feel a little bad for Harbaugh.  The ESPN talking heads think he went to Minnesota with the expectation that they were going to offer him the job and the interview was just a formality.  Not what happened and Minnesota has already decided to look elsewhere, so it's probably safe to think Harbaugh didn't wow them.  However he - and Michigan - spin it, he's going to be the punchline of a lot of jokes and recruiters at other schools targeting potential Michigan commits will be using this episode as fodder for the next few years.

He does deserve some respect for doing this publicly instead of stealing off to the interview under cover of darkness and hoping no one leaked it to the press.

Michigan has a top 10 recruiting class coming in and hasn't lost any recruits.  This hasn't hurt them at all.

• Like 1

And Harbaugh has had a big contract extension on the table in Ann Arbor for like three weeks now. He was literally telling Will Johnson while recruiting him that he was interested in going back to the NFL if the opportunity arose, while selling him on the idea that the school and program would be strong either way.

I think this is just another part of the "Jim Harbaugh is a weird dude" thing.

• Like 2

So rumors are flying that Bryan Harsin's job might be in immediate jeopardy.

Not "might get fired if the team gets off to a slow start" jeopardy. "Might get fired in the next few days" jeopardy.

EDIT: Inappropriate relationship with a member of his staff

Edited by Brian Fowler

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So rumors are flying that Bryan Harsin's job might be in immediate jeopardy.

Not "might get fired if the team gets off to a slow start" jeopardy. "Might get fired in the next few days" jeopardy.

EDIT: Inappropriate relationship with a member of his staff

The kind of thing that gets overlooked if you're winning, and if you aren't hemorrhaging players and coaches.

Also, the staffer was a Boise State cheerleader that he brought along with him to Auburn as an assistant. 

• Like 1

Harsin should’ve heeded the life lessons taught by one Nicholas Saban:

”You never want to sleep with anyone who has less to lose than you do. So, ultimately, if I’m ever going to sleep around on Miss Terry, it’s going to be with Hillary Fucking Rodham Clinton.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coach Deion has already bailed on the Southern Heritage Classic as Tennessee State announced that Jackson State withdrew from the rivalry with three years remaining on the deal

Tennessee State's president says Jackson State's decision to withdraw from the Southern Heritage Classic with three years left on the current contract is "insensitive and irresponsible" with implications far beyond football.

President Glenda Glover issued a statement Wednesday saying Tennessee State learned of Jackson State's decision through a national scheduler.

"What's even more disappointing is that there was no opportunity for discussion or a courtesy call to the TSU president, director of athletics, or head coach before the decision was made to breach the contract which has three years remaining," Glover said.

It definitley seems like this is a Pruitt-ing in progress. Nobody would care who Harsin was screwing if he won the Iron Bowl. But he didn’t, and the program has been a slow motion train wreck for three months now. So his enemies are coming for him.

And I’ve gotta say...while I understand wanting to move on from Harsin, this seems like a terrible time to stage a coup.

For one thing, while Auburn is a great job that should field a deep field of qualified candidates, this is FEBRUARY, after a very active hiring cycle at the top levels of the sport. There aren’t going to be many great candidates looking to move right now.  Furthermore, if this does prove to be YET ANOTHER COUP at Auburn after Kevin Steele’s “Et tu Brute” on Gus (or at least, perceived as such), it’s going to create a perception that Auburn is toxic and dysfunctional behind the scenes, and what top-level coach wants to dive into that?

If it was me, I would’ve let this play out into the season before I pulled the trigger, so we could be ahead of the hiring cycle instead of way behind it.

• Like 1

Oh shit. ESPN just dropped this story about Auburn with downright defiant quotes from Harsin. You can’t help but think some people at Auburn knew this story was dropping today and put the affair rumors out there last night to cut him off at the knees.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33216111/auburn-tigers-football-coach-bryan-harsin-not-planning-going-anywhere-amid-program-volatility

31 minutes ago, EVA said:

Oh shit. ESPN just dropped this story about Auburn with downright defiant quotes from Harsin. You can’t help but think some people at Auburn knew this story was dropping today and put the affair rumors out there last night to cut him off at the knees.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33216111/auburn-tigers-football-coach-bryan-harsin-not-planning-going-anywhere-amid-program-volatility

I've also noticed the affair narrative is starting to slow down a bit with other rumors. This is really disgusting stuff. This might be an uglier coup attempt than JetGate was in 2003.  The only missing Board of Trustees party from that time frame is Lowder. 

Wow, when you bring up Jetgate...This would make Gene Chizik the only Auburn coach in the last 25 years to not have to face down or be taken down by a coup attempt. Maybe I’m misremembering something, but I feel like the Chiz went pretty quietly once it was clear the 2010 party was over.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Wow, when you bring up Jetgate...This would make Gene Chizik the only Auburn coach in the last 25 years to not have to face down or be taken down by a coup attempt. Maybe I’m misremembering something, but I feel like the Chiz went pretty quietly once it was clear the 2010 party was over.

Remember what a big deal it was that Chizik got fired so soon after winning a Natty?

And now Ogeron didn't even make it two full seasons and nobody really batted an eye.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

There was just a lot of stuff happening in the open with Chiz. Multiple NCAA violation rumors because ESPN and big CFB media outlets had a determination to take Auburn down after the Cam Newton stuff failed, and players getting arrested, and players getting shot. The one positive to Gus's tenure there was a lot of those issues disappeared pretty quickly, but Gus also quickly kicked good players off the team too if they were headcases. I mean think of like Duke Williams, Sean White, or even a Michael Dyer when Gus was OC. 

Also, the Kiehl Frzier (as QB), Van Gorder, Scot Loeffler staff assembly in 2012 was a total disaster. Also, ironically the only A-Day I've ever attended.

EDIT: Also, if you think about it. Bowden was ousted by Booster coup. They actually wanted Bill Oliver to be the successor similar to Kevin Steele last year, and Dye was ran off due to NCAA scandal, which I still feel bad that Blakeney became the fall guy for but he at least built a lower conference somewhat mainstay in Troy (my alma mater) due to it. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 1