DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

Alabama just took a QB in this class, so I think they’re moving on from the Arch sweepstakes.

Texas is in a tough spot, because if Ewers is good this year, Arch probably isn’t coming in to back him up; but if Ewers is bad, you’re probably going to get Arch but also have to pray he’s ready to come in and be a star Day 1 or the Sark Era is DOA.

Georgia really needs him, and I think he ends up there.

54 minutes ago, EVA said:

Alabama just took a QB in this class, so I think they’re moving on from the Arch sweepstakes.

Texas is in a tough spot, because if Ewers is good this year, Arch probably isn’t coming in to back him up; but if Ewers is bad, you’re probably going to get Arch but also have to pray he’s ready to come in and be a star Day 1 or the Sark Era is DOA.

Georgia really needs him, and I think he ends up there.

Alabama took Holstein because they knew they were out.

Arch is supposedly alright with redshirting wherever he goes. If Ewers is good this year and next, he'll be NFL bound as he'll be draft-eligible.

The read I'm getting is that concern over Sark's job status and Texas shitting the bed last year are the main holdups.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm curious what that NIL payment was. $7 Million I'm guessing. 

I'm going to get laughed at for this but I have read enough from people who know that Texas is being very strict about doing NIL according to the letter of the law, and comes down on boosters who get involved with trying to buy players.

That said, the Mannings absolutely are aware of what someone like Quinn Ewers is getting and have decided that Austin is the best place for the Manning brand.

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ewers is going to set some kind of record for most NIL money paid for the least amount of downs played.

He traded in that pickup truck from OSU for an Aston Martin

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Lord - you would think they would have photoshopped the bags out from under his eyes

They're advertising how many hookers and how much blow you'll get if you take a visit at Texas. 

• Like 2

Shocker: Bill Clark is retiring at UAB. He’s only 53 but apparently has horrible back problems that require spinal fusion surgery.

Thats a huge blow for UAB, as they probably wouldn’t be moving up to the AAC without him resurrecting the program and having unprecedented success there. Also cuts short a very promising coaching career, as he would likely have been a prime candidate for a bigger job in a few years.

• Sad 1

ACC is officially dropping divisions starting with the 2023 season

EDIT - they are moving to the 3-5-5 model so the permanent games are as follows

ACC's Permanent Rivalries In 2023
Boston College: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse
Clemson: FSU, Georgia Tech, NC State
Duke: UNC, NC State, Wake Forest
Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest
Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia
Miami: BC, FSU, Louisville
North Carolina: Duke, NC State, Virginia
NC State: Clemson, Duke, UNC
Pitt: BC, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Syracuse: BC, FSU, Pitt
Virginia: Louisville, UNC, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech: Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest
Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech

• Like 1

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .wut?

Since the tweet won't embed for some reason. . .or, at least, it won't for me. . .

"Source: USC and UCLA are planning to leave for the Big Ten as early as 2024. Move has not been finalized at the highest levels of power."

Edited by RIPPA
Fixed link

Just now, hammerva said:

Seriously unless they are going to merge the PAC 12 with BIG 10 to create a conference this seems stupid.   If you wanted to get the top teams wouldn't Oregon be the #1 team on the list 

There were rumors before Texas and OU split from the Big 12 that they were trying to court USC/UCLA. If that had happened, I don't think you see Texas and OU move, so I'm sure the PAC 12 getting shunned every year in the playoff had an impact; however, neither USC or UCLA have really been a threat to make it other than that last Matthew Barkley season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Seriously unless they are going to merge the PAC 12 with BIG 10 to create a conference this seems stupid.   If you wanted to get the top teams wouldn't Oregon be the #1 team on the list 

Google 'size of Los Angeles media market'.   That's why. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It's not about bringing in a top team, it's about the number of TV sets you bring, that's why Rutgers and Maryland fell ass backwards in the Big 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After OU/Texas to the SEC, nothing should be beyond belief, but this is pretty wild. At least OU/Texas were contiguous to the SEC footprint.

The PAC-12 is functionally dead without those two schools, as they will have lost the California market (Cal and Stanford folks simply don’t care about football to the same degree), so you have to imagine Kliavkof will fight hard to keep them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

After OU/Texas to the SEC, nothing should be beyond belief, but this is pretty wild. At least OU/Texas were contiguous to the SEC footprint.

The PAC-12 is functionally dead without those two schools, as they will have lost the California market (Cal and Stanford folks simply don’t care about football to the same degree), so you have to imagine Kliavkof will fight hard to keep them.

The B1G could also add Colorado and one of the Arizona schools to keep the contiguous thing going.