DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

I can't get too mad at the idea of players getting some of the jillions of dollars floating around college football; considering the amount of money that people who don't play make out of the sport; especially when there's no reliable way into actual professional football, except through college.

Saban just gave a radio interview where he acknowledged that he was wrong to call out anyone specifically but maintained his overall criticism of the NIL system as it stands.

He also declined to comment on Jimbo’s tantrum.

Edited by EVA

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I think the problem isn't so much letting the players have the $$$. Or having a liberal transfer window. It having both at the same time, so there is almost yearly free agency. I dont follow the college game very closely so I could be wrong, but there needs to be some mechanism to limit player movement or there are going to be more problems. Like maybe you cant do both at the same time?

Here's the big question, why should there be a limit on player movement? Why shouldn't a player be able to go where he/she wants and not give up eligibility?

• Like 1

One solution is to have the NILs as contracts, just go full pay for play. Pay them 3 mil a year for three years or something, then they can't transfer until the 'contract' is over (or they declare for the draft of course, that would be an "out"). Just go full NFL. I can understand the frustration of coaches and fans as its become the wild wild west, I am in favor of the players getting paid, they are adults working hard in a billion dollar industry. But some type of structure would be nice, that's all. 

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Here's the big question, why should there be a limit on player movement? Why shouldn't a player be able to go where he/she wants and not give up eligibility?

Edit to respond to this: on paper I agree with you, but as a fan that would kinda suck. There is a reason (well a lot of reasons) that the major sports prefer multi-year contracts as it allows for teams to be cohesive and also fans like having a player to root for. College has always been a little looser with that since players have short careers in college anyway by definition, but there should be a way to get players paid, and also get some structure so every year there isn't massive turnover of the roster as everyone shuffles around.

• Like 3

Yeah as a fan it sucks but other than that, there's no valid reason why a player shouldn't be able to go where they want without losing eligibility.

I guess the issue some of these NIL deals are going to run into is what happens when a player transfers? Do they yank the deal away? Miami already had a situation like this sort of arise. Someone in Wong's camp tried to strongarm John Ruiz, the CEO of Life Wallet, into giving Wong a bigger NIL deal than what was originally signed or else Wong would transfer. Ruiz said he wouldn't renegotiate but he would help Wong get other NIL deals if he transferred. Wong came out and said he never intended to transfer and that someone put that statement out without his knowledge and he was staying with Miami. So crisis averted here but I'm sure this won't be the last time something like this arises.

https://caneswarning.com/2022/04/30/miami-hurricanes-booster-john-ruiz-will-help-isaiah-wong-get-other-nil-deals/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Yeah as a fan it sucks but other than that, there's no valid reason why a player shouldn't be able to go where they want without losing eligibility.

That's the rub though, even if that is the only reason then its probably reason enough (in regards to being able to transfer every year, I hated the rule where players had to 'sit out' a year, no one benefited from that). They need fans to watch to make money (the NCAA) and to make the NIL deals (players). Same reason every sport has long term contracts. Course, football is a beast, its not going anywhere but they still want stadiums full across the country and ratings up so I think its probably in everyone's best interest to figure out a system that gets players paid but also gives teams some form of assurance they won't have to re-do their offensive and defensive planning every season.

To be clear, I don't have a solution. Its a mess. I think some of the things Saban said are true, even if he is coming from a place where he is just mad another coach got one-up on him. I am assuming we will have a year or two of awkwardness and confusion, and eventually someone more clever than me will figure out a system that benefits everyone. Or probably not since the NCAA isn't great at coming up with good ideas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's the rub though, even if that is the only reason then its probably reason enough (in regards to being able to transfer every year, I hated the rule where players had to 'sit out' a year, no one benefited from that). They need fans to watch to make money (the NCAA) and to make the NIL deals (players). Same reason every sport has long term contracts. Course, football is a beast, its not going anywhere but they still want stadiums full across the country and ratings up so I think its probably in everyone's best interest to figure out a system that gets players paid but also gives teams some form of assurance they won't have to re-do their offensive and defensive planning every season.

To be clear, I don't have a solution. Its a mess. I think some of the things Saban said are true, even if he is coming from a place where he is just mad another coach got one-up on him. I am assuming we will have a year or two of awkwardness and confusion, and eventually someone more clever than me will figure out a system that benefits everyone. Or probably not since the NCAA isn't great at coming up with good ideas.

Yeah, keeping fan interest is a good reason but is it a "valid" one is what I'm getting at. Fans are always going to watch. Teams are just going to have to figure it out and they will. Every major change that has come down the pike, teams have figured it out. There's just going to be a new normal and people are going to continue to watch. And just because kids can move more freely doesn't mean they will. And even with the transfer portal, you can only transfer one time and play immediately. If you leave again, you do have to attend your new school for a year without playing so it's not as Wild West as people think. There are exceptions to the one-time rule (if your scholarship is taken away for non-disciplinary/academic reasons or if your previous school dropped the sport).

@Kevin WilsonI want to say I don't want you to think I'm being antagonistic towards you either. I'm a little concerned that I may be coming off that way. I'm a Miami fan and alum (as you can see by my avatar) so I've heard all kinds of bullshit and coded language about how "oh Miami pays players all the time" and "those thugs down there", etc when the good ol' boy network in traditional powers are doing all kinds of dirt under the table. The hypocrisy really grinds my gears because I have some first hand knowledge of some of these so-called "clean" schools (UVa for instance as I live in Charlottesville) offering kids cash, looking the other way on rapes, drugs, academics or whatever so I just sort of look at all of this stuff as the chickens coming home to roost on the good ol' boys. All of the money stuff is just above board now and everyone can participate not just Jim Bob at the car dealership giving a player a car for 4 years or a 6 figure job for a LA or South Florida based player's mom magically coming open in some podunk town in Alabama or Oklahoma.

Long story short, I hate the hypocrisy of the NCAA and the people bitching about kids finally cashing in so I do hope it's the Wild West. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't coming at you or anything like that.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

@Kevin WilsonI want to say I don't want you to think I'm being antagonistic towards you either. I'm a little concerned that I may be coming off that way. I'm a Miami fan and alum (as you can see by my avatar) so I've heard all kinds of bullshit and coded language about how "oh Miami pays players all the time" and "those thugs down there", etc when the good ol' boy network in traditional powers are doing all kinds of dirt under the table. The hypocrisy really grinds my gears because I have some first hand knowledge of some of these so-called "clean" schools (UVa for instance as I live in Charlottesville) offering kids cash, looking the other way on rapes, drugs, academics or whatever so I just sort of look at all of this stuff as the chickens coming home to roost on the good ol' boys. All of the money stuff is just above board now and everyone can participate not just Jim Bob at the car dealership giving a player a car for 4 years or a 6 figure job for a LA or South Florida based player's mom magically coming open in some podunk town in Alabama or Oklahoma.

Long story short, I hate the hypocrisy of the NCAA and the people bitching about kids finally cashing in so I do hope it's the Wild West. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't coming at you or anything like that.

Oh no you're good, I took no offense. NCAA is a shitshow and has been since I've been old enough to understand their methods. Its such a complicated issue, everyone can look at how it is now and say 'well this isn't quite right' but it wasn't right a year ago or five years ago or ten years ago either. I have no idea what the solution is, or if we should just accept this as the new normal and adjust our brains accordingly.

• Like 3

We just need a transfer window, just like there’s a HS signing window or a free agency window in pro sports, etc. Guys being able to hit the escape hatch at any time puts everyone else in a bad position, including their ex-teammates. It would help teams out tremendously to know, “Okay, past ‘x’ date all these guys are committed to be here for the season and between ‘y’ date and ‘z’ date, we’ll know who we’re losing and how many guys we need to replace.”

It’s creating competitive imbalance issues. Over the past year, we have seen some teams not even be able to field a 2-deep of scholarship athletes at certain position groups (including critical groups like OL and DL) because of so many guys hitting the portal. You can’t field a competitive team that way. Even worse, it creates a player safety issue because the guys left behind have fewer opportunities for subs in games and take more reps in practice.

Players should be free to move, there just needs to be more structure to that process.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, EVA said:

We just need a transfer window, just like there’s a HS signing window or a free agency window in pro sports, etc. Guys being able to hit the escape hatch at any time puts everyone else in a bad position, including their ex-teammates. It would help teams out tremendously to know, “Okay, past ‘x’ date all these guys are committed to be here for the season and between ‘y’ date and ‘z’ date, we’ll know who we’re losing and how many guys we need to replace.”

It’s creating competitive imbalance issues. Over the past year, we have seen some teams not even be able to field a 2-deep of scholarship athletes at certain position groups (including critical groups like OL and DL) because of so many guys hitting the portal. You can’t field a competitive team that way. Even worse, it creates a player safety issue because the guys left behind have fewer opportunities for subs in games and take more reps in practice.

Players should be free to move, there just needs to be more structure to that process.

Well, there was a May 1st deadline for players to enter their name into the transfer portal and use their one-time "free" transfer for 2022. That gave players and teams their spring practice to get a sense of the depth chart and a sense of the new schemes for schools with coaching changes. 

Edited by JLowe

On 5/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, RIPPA said:

NCAA officially voted to eliminate the requirement that you need divisions for a conference champions

The ink wasn't even dry on the signatures when the PAC-10 announced they were eliminated theirs

As noted earlier - expect the ACC to quickly follow suit

(The SEC said they are sticking with divisions)

Mountain West announced they will be eliminating divisions too

On 5/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, EVA said:

So things will be more unbalanced than they have been for the past 10 years where the same 7 or 8 schools are realistically in contention for the CFP and dog walk everyone else? And there are rules and limits on the portal. It's not exactly as Wild West as the Dabos of the world want people to believe.

Edited by cwoy2j

On 5/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, EVA said:

We have the barest of minimum guidelines right now. It’s not nearly enough.

Kids can't just up and leave multiple times unless there are other circumstances. You can only Portal once without losing eligibility. Plus you have to enter the Portal prior to May 1 to be eligible for the next year so there is a window. And back to the imbalance thing, so things will be even more imbalanced than they have been over the past 10-15 years when things have been dominated by the "It Just Means More" Conference?

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/2021/12/22/ncaa-transfer-portal-nil-college-football-playoff/#:~:text=The one-time transfer rule,as a penalty for transferring.

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring. If denied a transfer by a coach, a long process could ensue.

Edited by cwoy2j

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Kids can't just up and leave multiple times unless there are other circumstances. You can only Portal once without losing eligibility. Plus you have to enter the Portal prior to May 1 to be eligible for the next year so there is a window. And back to the imbalance thing, so things will be even more imbalanced than they have been over the past 10-15 years when things have been dominated by the "It Just Means More" Conference?

Without having a lot of time to get into it at this particular moment, I’ll just say that I think you’re taking an overly narrow perspective on what “competitive imbalance” means. This has far-reaching detrimental effects on the game that go well beyond the likes of Bama and Ohio State always having the best players.

I'm just not in favor of handcuffing kids to a school. And again, it's not like they can just up and go at any point in the year and do it multiple times over the course of their college career without extenuating circumstances.

Edited by cwoy2j

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Cincy, Houston and UCF have come to an exit agreement with the AAC and will now join the Big 12 on July 1, 2023

18 million each for exit fees, paid off over 14 years. They'll make that much extra in the Big 12 in the 2 years of the current TV deal and GOR, assuming that the networks don't try and cut their payments when UT and OU leave (which may be as early as next year).

Don't know that anyone here cares much about recruiting, but Arch Manning is en route to his official visit at UT (the real one, not his uncle's alma mater) after OVing at Georgia and then Alabama. Pretty much a Texas-UGA battle at this point although never count out Saban,.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, JLowe said:

Don't know that anyone here cares much about recruiting, but Arch Manning is en route to his official visit at UT (the real one, not his uncle's alma mater) after OVing at Georgia and then Alabama. Pretty much a Texas-UGA battle at this point although never count out Saban,.

I was always entertained by the folks thinking he was gonna go to Tennessee. Even funnier were the ones thinking he was gonna go to Ole Miss

• Like 1