DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Charlie Batch (yes THAT Charlie Batch) has offered Caleb Williams a $1 million dollar NIL deal if he transfers to Eastern Michigan. (The money would be coming from the Investment company that Batch is the COO of)

Players getting blatantly bribed to play for certain schools because the system was set up to be the wild West.   Who could have foreseen this???

Frankly the cynic in me makes me think this is exactly the sort of thing the NCAA wants, because now they can argue "SEE!  Giving these sla-, um, er, players money was a terrible idea!   Integrity!   NCAA!"  

I've probably had too much coffee. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Players getting blatantly bribed to play for certain schools because the system was set up to be the wild West.   Who could have foreseen this???

Frankly the cynic in me makes me think this is exactly the sort of thing the NCAA wants, because now they can argue "SEE!  Giving these sla-, um, er, players money was a terrible idea!   Integrity!   NCAA!"  

I've probably had too much coffee. 

No, definitely not. That was my first thought and probably the first thought for a lot of people. NCAA purposely allowed a system that they could go back and say creates an unfair and unlevel playing field and doesn't take the best interests of the...ahem...students...at heart.

• Like 1

I feel like the intent of the NCAA NIL rules was so players could get a cut from sales of jerseys and t-shirts with their name on it, and so the NCAA football video games could be made again. Maybe be in a local TV commercial. I don't think they intended to make a Wild West, I think it's just poorly run, knows they're basically toothless as far as enforcement, and really only concerned with their own bottom line. 

I'm pretty sure that that offer from Batch violates even the minimal NIL rules the NCAA has in place.  

Also, Charlie Batch has an annual salary of $1m and a net worth of just $2m.  How good can he be as an investment COO if he's "only" worth $2m at this point in his life?

Edited by Tabe

I also think the first year of NIL accomplished more good than bad like the walk-on Kansas kid getting the Applebees endorsement or I forget what school's walk-ons were given NIL deals to pay for their college. Those are instances of something serving a net good.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I also think the first year of NIL accomplished more good than bad like the walk-on Kansas kid getting the Applebees endorsement or I forget what school's walk-ons were given NIL deals to pay for their college. Those are instances of something serving a net good.

BYU arranged for all walk-ons to get NIL equivalent to the athletic scholarship. In the future, I would expect the bigger schools to use NIL as a recruiting tool for preferred walk-ons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

I completely agree.  I'm not sure there's been much bad, to be honest.  I don't care if Spencer Rattler gets $1m.  Or whoever gets how much.  Good for them.  The money is there, let them take advantage of it.

Honestly? If smaller schools can use rich alum to get some five star type guys to go there, that's good for college football. Spreading the talent out more, not having the same four or five schools get half of the top 300 recruits every year, etc.

Caleb Williams to Ypsilanti might be a bit of an extreme outlier (if it even happens) but the second and third tier power five and top tier group of five schools getting some of the four and five star guys makes a more competitive sport.

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

I'm pretty sure that that offer from Batch violates even the minimal NIL rules the NCAA has in place.  

Also, Charlie Batch has an annual salary of $1m and a net worth of just $2m.  How good can he be as an investment COO if he's "only" worth $2m at this point in his life?

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think that $925,000 annual salary (unless what you found said something different) is old data from his final contract with the Steelers.

Do people not understand that the Charlie Batch-EMU million dollar offer is a publicity stunt? They know there’s zero chance Williams would even think of playing for Eastern, even with a million bucks on the table. Batch just got his company the most advertising it ever had or will have for zero dollars. 

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly? If smaller schools can use rich alum to get some five star type guys to go there, that's good for college football. Spreading the talent out more, not having the same four or five schools get half of the top 300 recruits every year, etc.

Caleb Williams to Ypsilanti might be a bit of an extreme outlier (if it even happens) but the second and third tier power five and top tier group of five schools getting some of the four and five star guys makes a more competitive sport.

Basketball is where that will happen a lot. 

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think that $925,000 annual salary (unless what you found said something different) is old data from his final contract with the Steelers.

The salary I saw was $990k.

UNC has hired Gene Chizik to be Assistant Head Coach for Defense

In addition, North Carolina hired Indiana defensive coordinator Charlton Warren as co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Speaking of NIL, here comes Saban with another dire warning:

Maybe people will listen this time, after laughing off his warnings about no-huddle offenses and the transfer portal as sour grapes from somebody who was afraid of having those things used against him.

He’s just letting everybody know that he’s warming up the Death Star again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Auburn Twitter is convinced Williams is a lock there. I definitely have checked for updates sporadically. 

Williams may be doing due diligence (to avoid tampering claims) but I would be incredibly shocked if his plan wasn't to follow Lincoln to USC. Guessing Dart was finally informed.

Edited by JLowe

Williams and his dad have both been very clear the only thing he cares about is the coaching staff that will prepare him for the NFL and put him in position to be drafted as high as possible.

That still feels like Riley

Florida is hiring Rob Sale to be OC

Why anyone would think "You know who I want to lead my offense - the guy who was coaching the New York Giants offensive line" is beyond me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

LOL Jahleel Billingsley wasted NO time jumping in the portal after the natty. And after his performance in that game (the whole year really, but *especially* that game), I could not be happier.

Four other guys, too.  The full list so far:

• Alabama linebacker Drew Sanders.

• Alabama tight end Jahleel Billingsley.

• Alabama quarterback Paul Tyson.

• Alabama offensive lineman Tommy Brown.

• Alabama linebacker King Mwikuta.

16 hours ago, EVA said:

LOL Jahleel Billingsley wasted NO time jumping in the portal after the natty. And after his performance in that game (the whole year really, but *especially* that game), I could not be happier.

My Texas site has been hinting at that for weeks. Reaction is mixed on the board. They also called Sanders last week, much more excitement at that possibility but he was an OU commit at one point (on offense, to Lincoln Riley). At one point, they thought JoJo Earle might be a possibility too.

I'd imagine the tampering was mostly done through high school teammates.

Good luck with that! Cannot block and somehow forgot how to catch or run a route this season, all the while being a malcontent behind the scenes because a converted LB was outplaying him and, thus, getting more PT. Working harder and getting better was apparently not an option. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good and Sark can unlock the potential.

JoJo honestly didn’t do much to impress me this year, despite coming in with a lot of “next Waddle” hype. But he’s young, so who knows.

Sanders would help out that Texas defense a lot, though.

• Like 1